What did you learn last year? My advice for this year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What did you learn last year? My advice for this year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Thursday » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:30 pm

Never heard about the NL pitcher-only thing. That's new to me.

I would add about closers. Don't draft a stud closer. I know guys like Rivera and Lidge are tempting so early, but what about Turnbow, Jones, and Rodney last season? All of them were waiver wire pickups, and probably held your team in contention in that category last season. This year, we're looking at dudes like Mike Gonzalez and Travis Bowyer. I'd rather have those guys late and still stay in contention in saves. Keep those top picks for the good hitters.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Tiex » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:08 pm

[uI agree with thursday. Last season I drafted nathan and mota for my rp and someone else, someone else in the league took (bonds, RJ,) Rivera, K-rod with their first four picks :-t . I ended up wining the leage by a lot with the pickups of chad cordero, Hermanson, Street and Jones. I think it would be more helpfull to draft hitting and be ready for any of these typs of pitchers.[/u]
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WittyC » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:20 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:6. The thin air of Coors means nothing if a bunch of AA players are in the lineup.

Rockies were 4th in runs scored at home out of 30.

Helton, Holliday, Atkins were 1-2-3 in NL home BA.

Steve-o, where are you coming up with a huge ops decrease switching leagues? Everything i have seen, shows a possible early struggle, but over a year nothing significant.

Physicists did a study in Coors to debunk the "thin air" myth. The spacious Coors will definitely give your Avg. a boost, but HR should actually decrease there. I don't know how this has worked emperically, but if there have been more HR, it's simply a coincidence.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:46 pm

Are there instances of stud closers failing? Sure, good players have bad years, but just ignoring stud closers all together isn't a great idea.

Was ignoring Mariano Rivera last year a good idea? 80Ks/78.1 IP with an ERA of 1.38 and WHIP of .87. I'm sure he helped quite a few fantasy teams too. K-Rod struck out 91/67.1, Wagner 87/77.2, Nathan 94/70, and Lidge 103/70.2.

If all you want is Saves, yes, you can sit around and grab mid-tier closers and late-round guys. What the stud closers give you are great ratios with tons of K/IP. Are there risks with pitchers? Of course there are, but that doesn't mean you should avoid ALL pitchers. Generally, those pitchers that have done well before and are supposed to do well again WILL.

I'm not saying draft all stud closers, or completely ignore the sleepers. I try to grab one top tier guy, and then pick out sleepers later.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:46 pm

WittyC wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:6. The thin air of Coors means nothing if a bunch of AA players are in the lineup.

Steve-o, where are you coming up with a huge ops decrease switching leagues? Everything i have seen, shows a possible early struggle, but over a year nothing significant.

Physicists did a study in Coors to debunk the "thin air" myth. The spacious Coors will definitely give your Avg. a boost, but HR should actually decrease there. I don't know how this has worked emperically, but if there have been more HR, it's simply a coincidence.

The thin air makes breaking balls flat, a flat breaking ball is a home run. It also does some strange things to the movement on fastballs so they are harder to control. Thats where the majority of HR's come from, thats why light hitters don't balloon in power there but power hitters do. If you have the strength to take the ball out consistantly on a flat pitch you will hit a lot of HR's there.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby WittyC » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:10 pm

Ender wrote:
WittyC wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

The thin air makes breaking balls flat, a flat breaking ball is a home run. It also does some strange things to the movement on fastballs so they are harder to control. Thats where the majority of HR's come from, thats why light hitters don't balloon in power there but power hitters do. If you have the strength to take the ball out consistantly on a flat pitch you will hit a lot of HR's there.

I might have been flat-out wrong about the thin-air effect, since the Coors website claims there is a 10% difference in ball flight versus being at sea-level. However, I was almost positive that I saw a show or read something where a team physicists had shown that the effects were negigible.

You're right, of course, that flat breaking balls would occur as well under these conditions. I always assumed it was due to humidity affecting grip, but I certainly could have been mistaken.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

About Prior

Postby glcmustliveon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:25 pm

I just read that article about Priors steroid use, Are we at the point where we're going to take Jack Mcdowells opinion that Prior used steroids as a consensus opinion? I mean, can we at least get a source who has one of two things, A) a Dr. in front of his name or B) somebody who actually KNOWS the player he's accusing...
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: What did you learn last year? My advice for this year...

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 pm

WittyC wrote:
Steve-o wrote:9.) Spring training really does mean crap. If you happen to have the ST HR leader – probably should trade him

Wasn't Andruw Jones the ST homerun leader? Seems to me like he had a pretty decent year. ;-7

Yes he was... How did you learn that last year, if the ST homerun leader also lead the majors in homeruns? :-D
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: What did you learn last year? My advice for this year...

Postby Tavish » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm

thedude wrote:
WittyC wrote:
Steve-o wrote:9.) Spring training really does mean crap. If you happen to have the ST HR leader – probably should trade him

Wasn't Andruw Jones the ST homerun leader? Seems to me like he had a pretty decent year. ;-7

Yes he was... How did you learn that last year, if the ST homerun leader also lead the majors in homeruns? :-D

I know I was completely disappointed that Gabe Gross didn't end up leading the AL in HRs last year. That was a wasted $25 in the auction. :-t

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Esen » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Here is my input,

1) Obviously if you are in a holds league then the MR rules is out the window. Also the right MR can give you a nice lift in your stats accross the boards, (im thinking Scott Shields a couple years ago)

2) Do not trade becasue you are board, I have hurt my teams in the past doing this, the sad part, I didn t even realize I was bored.

3) Find the 5 best rookies/ new players who are slated to have reg time, make sure you researc h them really good and take 2 or 3 of them in th elate rounds. sure you can get get guys like castilla / wynn or what have you in the late rounds but every year there is that 2 or 3 rookies who blow everyone away. If you research good you may find them,

In a lot of leagues guys like Hermida will prolly be overlooked.
I figure each draft is worth 1 or 2 lottery ticketrs in the last rounds might as well take a guy of potential over a guy who is 38 and 400 bat ceiling

4) Every team that I have done well with has had a top tier pitcher on the staff, so Im kind of on the fence with the wait for 5th round for a pitcher theory, sorry but it is just my reality.

Anyhow, Im an average manager, not a great manager in any right however this is what I see as works.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers