What did you learn last year? My advice for this year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What did you learn last year? My advice for this year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What did you learn last year? My advice for this year...

Postby djacks » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:00 am

Steve-o wrote:11.) Only draft NL pitchers

The list overall is not bad...but I have to disagree with this one...

There are a lot of very good AL pitchers I would take without thinking twice about what league they pitch in...

Harden, Halladay, Santana, are obvious...but there are a lot of others...Colon, Zito, RJ, Lackey, Felix, several White Sox pitchers, etc...

Now if it came down to very similar pitchers, I would probably lean toward the NL pitcher, but I wouldn't totally avoid the AL guy.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:02 am

Grab a speedster, ideally Figgins or Reyes. You will have filled the most scare stat at one of the most scarce positions.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:34 am

My list is short:

1. Don't adhere to some dogmatic list of dos and don'ts. Research all of your moves more than the next guy and you will be fine.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby djacks » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:35 am

Art Vandelay wrote:My list is short:

1. Don't adhere to some dogmatic list of dos and don'ts. Research all of your moves more than the next guy and you will be fine.

;-D ;-D ;-D
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 pm

djacks wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:My list is short:

;-D ;-D ;-D[/quote

Overall, I thought the first 10 items on this list that Steve-O put together were pretty good. (11-13 were weak or detrimental, especially #11).

I would use it on draft day as a guidleline. Doesn't mean you can't violate the list if the situation calls for it, but I think if you went against the grain too much on those first 10, you would have a bad draft and team going into the season.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby UnsungHero » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:37 pm

do not draft middle tier closers, they are not worth the picks. last year i drafted mota and percival in the 8th and 9th rounds thinking that would solidify my bullpen, well i was wrongwho would of known that todd jones and fernando rodeny would lead thier teams in saves. closers are way to unpredictable. i would also imagine the poeple who drafted gange would have simmilar views about closers. you can always find unknown gems like farnsworth, turnbow ect really late in the draft or even on waviers.
UnsungHero
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:47 pm

djacks wrote:Prior was on steroids?... :-?

Has it gotten to the point now where every player that has a down year or has some sort of injury MUST HAVE BEEN on steriods...?!?

To answer that question:....YES (or pretty much YES).

Have you seen Prior's thighs? There have been suspicions about him for a couple of years. Whether they are baseless or not is not really the point. ANYONE with the right body type who displays sudden sharp upticks or downticks in performance is suspect. And Prior's numbers were quite ordinary last season (esp for all the hype).

I still believe that if the truth is ever told, we will see that he majority of players over the past 5 years have been juicing to some degree. And some (like Sosa, Boone, Palmeiro, etc) have been juicing for most of their career.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rotterdam_82 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:51 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Have you seen Prior's thighs? There have been suspicions about him for a couple of years.

From who? I've not read anywhere, or even heard it suggested that Prior had been on steroids until you wrote it down.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:07 pm

UnsungHero wrote:do not draft middle tier closers, they are not worth the picks. last year i drafted mota and percival in the 8th and 9th rounds thinking that would solidify my bullpen, well i was wrongwho would of known that todd jones and fernando rodeny would lead thier teams in saves. closers are way to unpredictable. i would also imagine the poeple who drafted gange would have simmilar views about closers. you can always find unknown gems like farnsworth, turnbow ect really late in the draft or even on waviers.

Percival had been considered an injury risk last year, and everybody knows there is a buyer beware when it comes to set up men becoming a full time closer.

It's cool to grab middle tier closers. If you wind up with Guardado and Benitez as your closers, that's fine ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:10 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Have you seen Prior's thighs? There have been suspicions about him for a couple of years.

From who? I've not read anywhere, or even heard it suggested that Prior had been on steroids until you wrote it down.

Try this one on the MLB site. This is nothing new and whether you agree with it or not, a lot of people have grown suspicious of the guy. I am not 100% convinced, more like 60/40.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... &fext=.jsp
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers