Pujols/Peavy or Tex/Santana - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols/Peavy or Tex/Santana

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which is the better combo-Pujols/Peavy or Tex/Santana?

Pujols/Peavy
44%
Tex/Santana
45%
Tossup, let me flip a coin and be done with it.
11%

Total votes : 73

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:17 am

You guys do realize that Teixeira and Pujols are the same age? Teixeira can only dream about putting up number like Pujols. They are not even close. The difference between those two are far greater than Santana/Peavy. The chances of Pujols hitting 50 HR this season is greater than not. Plus he is getting smarter around the basebaths.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:33 am

HOOTIE wrote:
nuggets wrote:Tex/Santana by 100 miles. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

Better check your speedometer. Tex barely hits his weight on road. Better hope he retires in Texas, because he's Overbay if he leaves.

:-D ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:48 am

I voted even.

If your holding a gun to my head though I will take the side that has the best player..... Pujols/Peavy.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby nuggets » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Yoda wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
nuggets wrote:Tex/Santana by 100 miles. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed.

Better check your speedometer. Tex barely hits his weight on road. Better hope he retires in Texas, because he's Overbay if he leaves.

I'm assuming we are talking about the upcoming draft (non-keeper). Teix in Tex is part of the deal. I'll inform when I have some more time. :-)

Pujols is 26, Tex 25. ;-) not in april
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 pm

nuggets wrote:
Yoda wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

I'm assuming we are talking about the upcoming draft (non-keeper). Teix in Tex is part of the deal. I'll inform when I have some more time. :-)

I can understand why people think Teixeira's close to Pujols. The fantasy numbers I agree were very close in 05. But they are the same age and Pujols is a far superior talent and much more established as such a young age. He is one of those guys that come along once in a decade. His career numbers starting from his rookie season proves this.

The only advantage Teixeira has over Pujols is his home park. That is about it.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:14 pm

Pujols and Peavy by a good amount. Pujols is the best player and I'd rather have the better hitter than the better pitcher. There is no reason Peavy can't out perform Santana this year, they are both great pitchers. I would be shocked if Teix out performed Pujols though barring an injury.
Last edited by Ender on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby nuggets » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:15 pm

Personally I'd love something like adjusted OPS to be what we played for, but factors like Texas or Washington home parks effect our game signficantly.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:22 pm

nuggets wrote:Personally I'd love something like adjusted OPS to be what we played for, but factors like Texas or Washington home parks effect our game signficantly.

Ture... but I always take the better hitter regardless of what fantasy numbers say over the guy who has an advantage in home park, line up or whatever. And Pujols is a better hitter by quite a wide margin IMO.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nuggets » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:13 pm

Yoda wrote:Pujols is a better hitter by quite a wide margin, period.
:-D

I try to take the player who will likely put up the most value. Since it's basically proven that Arlington inflates numbers, Tex gets a bump off his adjusted numbers. Bottom line is you take BAP in 5 x 5 terms, not in terms of adjusting hitting quality.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:19 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:So, you are basing your projections on the possibility that Texas doesn't resign the best player they've had in a significant amount of time when he is a FA in a few years? So what if he has weaker numbers on the road? Everyone is going to have weaker numbers on the road when you play for Texas, and his final numbers are still insane. And he'll be in his fourth season. It's not like he can't improve on the road. Pujols is still better than Tex, but Santana can be so dominant you have to take him over Peavy. Last year was a mediocre year for Santana and he was still the best pitcher in fantasy.

Mediocre year for Santana? It was his 2nd best era+ season.

Sure, players usually hit better at home, but not a .300 ops difference. Tex reminds me of Bichette, when he was in Coors. Who knows what Texas will do. They have a history of moving good hitters, Canseco, Arod, Hafner, Soriano.

I don't think Peavy is that much under Santana.

DIPS era
Santana 2.93
Peavy 3.00

Santana had 2 tough losses, to Peavys 5.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers