Points Minus Par (PIMP Data for Points Leagues) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Points Minus Par (PIMP Data for Points Leagues)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Points Minus Par (PIMP Data for Points Leagues)

Postby stoner420 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:37 pm

last year i was taught by cafe members the strategy of Point Minus Par. This, along with the hail mary successfully won me my fantasy league. It only works for points leagues so, sorry roto guys. For anyone who wants to know how to do it heres what you do:

1. First get a spreadsheet with projections.

2. Add in the stats that your league uses and get total pt projections for each player.

3. Figure out the points per game and points per inning for each player.

Now heres when the points minus par (PIMP) comes in

4. Take the number of teams in your league... lets say you have 12...then for each position, you take the top 12 players in each position(x3 for outfielders since you start 3)... and take the average projected points for that position. So for instance, youll get a number like 450 and that will be your projected pts total that the average starting position player will get in your league.

5. Then for each player, subtract their projected total from the positions average total that you found in step 4.

6. Tada! you have the Points Minus Par number for that player. From there you want to figure this out for most players whom youd consider drafting.

7. Create a list of your top 50 PIMP players and use this to help draft. The results may surprise you. Last year when i did this i found out some really important things about my league. I realized before the season that the best pitcher would end up with about 200 more pts than the best pitcher... and sure enough, carpenter finished with like 850 last year whereas pujols got about 650. My league settings are a bit different this year so it will be interesting to see what happens when i figure it out.

ok guys... good luck. If you are in a pts league, you should do really well with this strategy.
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yellowdog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Very close to the strategy described here:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=168521
"It's like a full-body dry-heave set to music"
yellowdog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stoner420 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:00 pm

word. yellowdog, i remeber you were one of the guys who was in on the thread about this last year.
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ThatDude » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Thanks. I'll definately put this to use in my prep work.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:23 pm

certainly the best acronym though, hands down! ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby stoner420 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:32 pm

id imagine that the wierder your points system, the easier it would be for you to take advantage of this.... for instance... this year we are changing batting k's form -1 to -.7 and we are making saves worth 5 vs 7. Its kinda frustrating because all of this makes hitters better, and thus makes our league more equivalent to normal league. and the more like normal leagues that we are, the better that a normal espn spreadsheet will do in our draft.
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swyck » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:47 pm

I must be missing something but I dont see where step 3 comes in or why its needed.

It looks like you're averaging the top players at each position, and then comparing their total points against that to determine overall value. Sounds like a good plan, but I dont see why you need points per game or points per IP. I also read Yellowdogs post and he was using IPs for pitchers there. If you have projections why not just use the totals?

I've never played in a points league but I'm looking to join one this year. Sounds like fun.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby dcskater619 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 pm

yeah, the acronym describes me so i know the strat will work! ;-D
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thinkspin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:54 pm

swyck wrote:I must be missing something but I dont see where step 3 comes in or why its needed.

It looks like you're averaging the top players at each position, and then comparing their total points against that to determine overall value. Sounds like a good plan, but I dont see why you need points per game or points per IP. I also read Yellowdogs post and he was using IPs for pitchers there. If you have projections why not just use the totals?

I've never played in a points league but I'm looking to join one this year. Sounds like fun.

I am trying to figure this functionality out. What is the reason for IP or GP being used instead of just totals?
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yellowdog » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:06 pm

For offensive players, it is fine to simply use totals, because you would like to able to assume that your top player at each position will play most of the games allowed. However, in a points league, there is usually a max innings for pitchers. You can't just go by point totals, you have to figure points per inning to come up with an effective cheat sheet. For example, Livan Hernandez may get you 600 points, but may use 250 of your allotted innings, whereas Ben Sheets could get the same 600 points and use only 200 innings. That leaves 50 innings better spent elsewhere.
"It's like a full-body dry-heave set to music"
yellowdog
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers