Eric Chavez, you are a delight... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Chavez, you are a delight...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eric Chavez, you are a delight...

Postby WittyC » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:57 am

I was just getting into my third base rankings, and thought I'd seek some insight on the cafe's take on the highest paid Athletic. It's hard to believe he just turned 28 since this is going to be his 8th full year in the bigs.

The supporting cast isn't top tier, but might be better than last year with the Big Hurt and Milton Bradley moving in. Plus if Johnson, Crosby and/or Swisher mature, they could provide more protection than he got last year.

So... where do you have him at?
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:08 am

He should go in the middle rounds, but damn! When I read your post, I was like, that can't be right. He must be older that 28. But shore nuff, he's going into his eigth full season and only just turned 28. Crazy! I agree that his supporting cast does have the potential to be a little better, but what about the years he played with Tejada, Giambi, Damon, Dye, etc? He's had some pretty darn good players along side him in that batting order before and still seems to put up very similar numbers year to year, barring injury. He seems a lock for .275-90-28-100-8 with 30 doubles and a .350 OBP. Not HOF numbers, but very solid in the realm of fantasy. I like him around the ninth round in 10-12 team roto leagues......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:14 am

hooligan1 wrote:He should go in the middle rounds, but damn! When I read your post, I was like, that can't be right. He must be older that 28. But shore nuff, he's going into his eigth full season and only just turned 28. Crazy! I agree that his supporting cast does have the potential to be a little better, but what about the years he played with Tejada, Giambi, Damon, Dye, etc? He's had some pretty darn good players along side him in that batting order before and still seems to put up very similar numbers year to year, barring injury. He seems a lock for .275-90-28-100-8 with 30 doubles and a .350 OBP. Not HOF numbers, but very solid in the realm of fantasy. I like him around the ninth round in 10-12 team roto leagues......

I love Chavez this year, and was trying to keep him quiet for a reaston. SHHHHH!

I'd actually bump your numbers a little bit. 34HR and 110RBI is where I have him.

Chavez, Beltre, and Aramis Ramirez are three people who a much younger than most people realize, due to the number of years they have played at the major league level.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby dewey finn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:24 am

He was sooooooo streaky last season though.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:27 am

Chavez has gotten slightly worse 3 years in a row looking at his raw skills, I see no compelling reason to assume he'll take a big step forward this year, even given is age. The fact his batting eye got worse last year is a terrible sign.
Last edited by Ender on Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:50 am

This is a great year to take Chavez IMO. He hasn't lived up to expectations and most people will pass on him. I never had him since he was always taken in 3rd or 4th round. Injuries have kept him back and I think he is finally due.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby giants! » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:04 pm

[quote="hooligan1"I like him around the ninth round in 10-12 team roto leagues......[/quote]

Hes a steal in the 9th round but unfortunately hell probably go in the 6th
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:16 pm

For ROTO he's worth a 6th round pick no question. H2H? I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.......
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:26 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:For ROTO he's worth a 6th round pick no question. H2H? I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.......

based on the streakyness?

3b is so deep this year when it comes to 3b that im planning on taking whoever falls the furtherest based on like the top 12 or so.
lets go through this....

1. A-Rod
2. Cabrera
3. Wright
4. Figgins
5. Aramis
6. Rolen
7. Ensberg
8. Chavez
9. Mora
10. Chipper
11. Glaus
12. Blalock
13. Chad Tracy (when he gets his starts there this season)
14. Beltre

While i wouldnt touch beltre, id be very comfortable taking any of the top 12 on my team and i plan on getting them 10th round ish theres just not that much difference between 12th and 5th, and im sure everyone's lists look different.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:30 pm

I rank Chavez 6th on that list. Ensberg really has only had 1 good year after nosediving the year before and Rolen is coming back from injury and is susceptible to others.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers