any of these pitchers worth owning? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

any of these pitchers worth owning?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:13 am

Wozzyck wrote:Here's an analysis of Washburn's 2005 season which expounds upon the flukiness of his ERA.

http://ussmariner.com/?p=3208

I'm not saying his 3.20 era wasn't lucky. His strand rate made it lucky. His hit rate was 29% though, 30% is average. The question isn't whether he posts a 3.20 era, but whether he's better then guys like Suppan, Chen, Marquis.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Thursday » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 am

Bartolo's Colon wrote:I like Wang.

Cue Beavis and Butthead laughter... :-b

I don't really think any of the dudes on that list will help you any. Maybe Verlander and Santana, but not really anyone else.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:02 am

I think Santana and Wang are worth drafting late. Young pitchers with a lot of upside.

Have been reading the Washburn debate. Personally, I would consider drafting him late to start only in Seattle. I know someone posted the HR park factors between Seatte's Safeco field and Angles Stadium were not that different, but a LHP in Seatte has a decided advantage.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby crapshooter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:09 am

I guess it depends on whether you're playing straight leagues or mixed. In straight league I'd say most or all of them would be picked.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

I like

Postby jerrydel44 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:37 am

Washburn and Marquis ;-D
jerrydel44
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue May 23, 2006 4:52 pm

Came across the following in rototimes, and recalled this thread:

"After signing with Seattle in December, Jarrod Washburn (P) Sea referred to Safeco Field as his "favorite park." Washburn wasn't kidding, as this season he is 2-2 with a 2.29 ERA at home, and 0-3 with a 6.08 ERA on the road."

Interesting how it's worked out so far.

Washburn's done great at home, but has been putrid on the road, backing up my cautions about reading too much into H/A splits, as well others beliefs about how he'd do in Safeco.

Washburn's done far better than I thought he would on ERA and WHIP, but is struggling for wins and Ks as I said he would.

Overall, Suppan is ranked 116, Marquis 153, Washburn 181, and Chen 6,000, 430.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby oakiedragon » Wed May 24, 2006 4:46 am

off the top of my head i would say grab;
ervin santana, Wang, Verlander and Marquis. Also Suppan would not be a bad pickup. STL pitchers are always a good bet, quite like Yankees pitchers. They are almost garunteed 12-15 Wins because of the run support their respective teams generate. Santana is a solid young pitcher with last season and the playoffs under his belt so he is somewhat more seasoned plus the angels cant suck forever with that team, i mean they have won 90+ games 2 years in a row. Verlander just had a gem of a CG and is really finding his nitch on a very solid DET team. Marquis and Suppan are not aces but will do well and go deep on a team that should win over 100 games. Other than that olsen is good but on a terrible team and he still has some mechanics to straighten out. The rest of the pitchers listed are crap shoots could go either way.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Thu May 25, 2006 12:05 am

GTWMA, you're giving yourself an undeserving pat on the back using a very small sample size. One of those away games was in Anaheim and two of the other three were against two of the three best offenses in the AL.

As I predicted, he has been stellar at Safeco as his career numbers said he would and his Whip is well under 1.35 as I said it would be. The Mariners offense is heating up also and I would expect them to be over .500 the rest of the way which should allow Washburn to get at least 12 wins or more.

Besides Verlander who I knew nothing about 3 months ago, Washburn would still be top of that initial list for me.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 25, 2006 12:08 am

oakiedragon wrote:off the top of my head i would say grab;
ervin santana, Wang, Verlander and Marquis. Also Suppan would not be a bad pickup. STL pitchers are always a good bet, quite like Yankees pitchers. They are almost garunteed 12-15 Wins because of the run support their respective teams generate. Santana is a solid young pitcher with last season and the playoffs under his belt so he is somewhat more seasoned plus the angels cant suck forever with that team, i mean they have won 90+ games 2 years in a row. Verlander just had a gem of a CG and is really finding his nitch on a very solid DET team. Marquis and Suppan are not aces but will do well and go deep on a team that should win over 100 games. Other than that olsen is good but on a terrible team and he still has some mechanics to straighten out. The rest of the pitchers listed are crap shoots could go either way.

this thread is 3 months old and is only now back up because GTWMA wanted to give himself a pat on the back. take a peek at the date next time :-[

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers