What is more important: The fantasy or the baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is more important: The fantasy or the baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:30 am

dewey finn wrote:I try not to draft Jays cause it's just too painful to watch them play.

It should not be this year! I'm drafting as many as I can ;-)
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby orange12 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:07 am

MrT wrote:Before fantasy baseball I would merely follow the Cubs (as a die hard fan) and the penant races. With Fan baseball I watch more games, read box scores, and watch highlights. I know the performance of nearly every worthwhioe player.

Having siad that sometimes I don,t even know who is in first place in real baseball. I now hope that the Cubs lose sometimes if it will aid my palyaers or team perfromance.

The better question is: whether fantasy baseball has ruined our appreciation and interest in the game of baseball.

I feel exactly the same way. After play fantasy baseball avidly for 7 years now, I've noticed that sometimes I lose touch with what's going on in real baseball. I forget about close pennant races and which team is doing what. Instead of looking at scores as a win or loss, I find myself just picking out the daily stats of players I own. The worst was during last September, when the Giants won a thrilling extra inning game against Duaner Sanchez of the Dodgers. I should've left that game feeling damn happy as a Giants fan but instead I kept thinking about how that loss by Sanchez was going to hurt one of my teams. This year I've forced myself to manage only 2 teams to see if less involvement with fantasy will help me regain my appreciation for whats real.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby glcmustliveon » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:54 am

If found it funny that some people were saying fantasy baseball is just a game, so does that mean baseball is not just a game?
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:09 am

Haha, good point! Well, keep digging deeper and nothing is real...that is what I am learning in Philosophy these days...
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby daweasle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:38 am

BASEBALL

I'd rather win my fantasy baseball league than watch my team(padres) go to the world series....
(BY A LONG SHOT)

BUT when fantasy baseball is over - even if the padres are out - I still watch all the playoff games intensely enjoying watching players I used to own do well.

FOOTBALL

But I'd rather watch the buccaneers or chargers go to the super bowl than win my fantasy football league....
(BY A LONG SHOT)

BUT when fantasy football is over - if my bucs/chargers are out of the playoffs - I totally lose interest in football till next year.

COMPARISON

I guess it's because fantasy baseball is so much preparation and there are so many games and moves to be made over a 162 game season that fantasy baseball actually gets you feeling involved.

Conversely - with football - I'm involved in the teams i love - and the fantasy football thing is just a secondary hobby.....
Last edited by daweasle on Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby daweasle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:44 am

Basketball

just as a side note - I have not watched more than 10 minutes of an NBA game this year - but I have a fantasy basketball team in a money league currently in second place. I couldn't even tell you who has winning records in the NBA, (I might could name 5 teams off the top of my head but thats the extent for sure)

However I feel like I've made the moves to put myself in a postition to win my league...(I have J oneal on the bench and a second place team - when he comes back from injury - look out)
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby glcmustliveon » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:11 am

Gruber, I appreciate your philosophical point of view, It sounded like a Phil Jackson press conference, which is a compliment BTW

Go Halos
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:24 am

AdvRider wrote:Fantasy doesn't come close to emulating the real thing. It doesn't take into account defense, for one. Nor does it fully reflect the influence that intangibles like player attitude, clubhouse personality, and lifestyle have on the fortunes of a real MLB team.

A Jeter fist pump is worth at least 2 wins. :-D

5X5 roto comes fairly close. Last years irl playoff teams of 8, 6 would have made it using roto. Cleveland beat out Boston, and Philly beat out SD.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:44 am

daweasle wrote:

Conversely - with football - I'm involved in the teams i love - and the fantasy football thing is just a secondary hobby.....

Fantasy football= injury roulette. It's still a blast but not nearly as engaging as fantasy baseball. I do the same thing w/ baseball, watch a lot early on until the cloud of doom hangs over Wrigley again then get interupted by vacations and stuff in August. I do like to play guitar and watch baseball games though and generally get my chops back in order quite a bit after opening day.

I would easily swap a fantasy win for a Cubs world series though... 8-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby mak1277 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:03 pm

eftda wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I play to win money from my friends and co-workers, end of story.

I love baseball for what it is, and frankly, sometimes fantasy bugs the crap out of me...for example, Reyes for the Mets. The guy is a freaking lousy baseball player, but he's a high fantasy pick. Stuff like that irritates me.

how much do you win? I've never played in a pool of larger than 50 bucks. If I spend an hour a day on fantasy baseball, thats over 180 hours spent for $50. You must play in leagues worth over $500 if you just play for money.

The smallest per team entry fee I pay is $50. First place in my leagues is usually $400-$800.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers