What is more important: The fantasy or the baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is more important: The fantasy or the baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is more important: The fantasy or the baseball?

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:07 pm

This thread is a spinoff of another thread, where there was an interesting fundamental difference of opinion, and I'm curious where the consensus lies:

Point:

It as a given that the fantasy is meant to emulate the real thing. As a manager of a fantasy team, it should be as close an experience as is possible to be a real GM, without the technical stuff and other boring stuff. In other words, it is important that players' fantasy values be as close to their real values as is possible.

Counterpoint:

Fantasy is just that: a game. The players are like pieces on a checkers board, and the game should be designed to be as fun as possible. The game is the most important aspect of Fantasy, and whatever works to make it better is what should be done. It is possible that doing the above would make it the most fun, but it is not necessarily the best way.

I will not let you know where I stand so as to not influence anybody one way or another (I tried to be as objective as possible above), but after there are enough responses I will voice my opinion.
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:12 pm

All I can say I've been watching way more MLB games now that im playing fantasy baseball...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mak1277 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:16 pm

I play to win money from my friends and co-workers, end of story.

I love baseball for what it is, and frankly, sometimes fantasy bugs the crap out of me...for example, Reyes for the Mets. The guy is a freaking lousy baseball player, but he's a high fantasy pick. Stuff like that irritates me.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:17 pm

Fantasy is not Reality.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby MrT » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:25 pm

Before fantasy baseball I would merely follow the Cubs (as a die hard fan) and the penant races. With Fan baseball I watch more games, read box scores, and watch highlights. I know the performance of nearly every worthwhioe player.

Having siad that sometimes I don,t even know who is in first place in real baseball. I now hope that the Cubs lose sometimes if it will aid my palyaers or team perfromance.

The better question is: whether fantasy baseball has ruined our appreciation and interest in the game of baseball.

I would play fantasy baseball if it were merely a computer program simulating a 162 game season. How sick is that !
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 39)

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:26 pm

I agree that I've watched TONS more baseball since getting into fantasy. I think that some of the 'hype' that guys like Reyes get slathered with is due to journalists needing something to write about. He is much more newsworthy as a 'potential #1 ranked 2B' than a 'fast guy who has challenges getting on but does get quite a few triples over the course of the year' which might be more accurate. Jeff Kent, perhaps the suprise of the year going to LA and still cranking it out, while continuing to be cranky, is hardly 'newsworthy'...

:-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:33 pm

All fantasy leagues make concessions that remove it from reality in order to accomadate better gameplay. They remove defense from the scoring because it is very hard to score based on stats or they give stronger weights to certain events in order to create balance between the different types of players or they create an artificial cap on the player pool so that teams are not stocked with below average platoon players or etc. When you start to make these types of concessions you are no longer trying to emulate the real thing, you are trying to make the game more interesting.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby eftda » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:42 pm

mak1277 wrote:I play to win money from my friends and co-workers, end of story.

I love baseball for what it is, and frankly, sometimes fantasy bugs the crap out of me...for example, Reyes for the Mets. The guy is a freaking lousy baseball player, but he's a high fantasy pick. Stuff like that irritates me.

how much do you win? I've never played in a pool of larger than 50 bucks. If I spend an hour a day on fantasy baseball, thats over 180 hours spent for $50. You must play in leagues worth over $500 if you just play for money.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Seanyfever » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:30 pm

eftda wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I play to win money from my friends and co-workers, end of story.

how much do you win? I've never played in a pool of larger than 50 bucks. If I spend an hour a day on fantasy baseball, thats over 180 hours spent for $50. You must play in leagues worth over $500 if you just play for money.

My league is strivtly buddies. 14 teams. I won the roto and placed third in the H2H playoffs. Combined with winning my division. I won close to $200, That's after I paid for this year's fees upfront?

I also watch more baseball since fantasy, I rebelled after the strike and screw over of the Expos in 94. Watched maybe five games over those years. Last year I was watching five a week.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby Third Day » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:02 pm

I don't care all that much about whether or not a player's fantasy value is close to their real value: I would like the fantasy game to be as close as possible to the real game (without getting anal). Not using defense is not a problem for me: I hate pitcher streaming big time. :-t :-t :-t
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 277)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers