I'm getting "throttled" by Netflix - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm getting "throttled" by Netflix

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm getting "throttled" by Netflix

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:28 am

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/10/netfli ... index.html

Well so much for me being a Netflix lover. I will continue to use their service, but they are opening themselves up to competition. I really was impressed though that they had to eat 78 cents for each movie. For some reason I figured they had some kinda deal with USPS to get a bulk discount or something.

I was wondering why 24 Season 2 Disc 1 has been at the top of my queue as a "Short Wait" for four weeks and just changed to "Long Wait." F word.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:37 am

We switched to Blockbuster's online service about a year ago. It takes an extra day or so for the movies(although maybe not if you're being throttled by Netflix), but it's cheaper and you get coupons for free movies in the store on top of the ones you get through the service.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:33 am

Eh I use Netflix but I don't go through that many movies at all. I do 4 tops per month, so I don't see this being an issue for me.

And as I've said before, Blockbuster is ran by Satan and I will never give them my money ever again.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby theclefe » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:38 am

I was a heavy renter and would fall into that category. I decided to swith to Blockbuster's movie pass though. The only priority there goes to the first person into the store. I turned over 40 movies in a month. Unfortunatly, their selection is a bit limited depending on the store.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:14 pm

theclefe wrote:I was a heavy renter and would fall into that category. I decided to swith to Blockbuster's movie pass though. The only priority there goes to the first person into the store. I turned over 40 movies in a month. Unfortunatly, their selection is a bit limited depending on the store.

i did that for a few months but soon ran out of movies to watch. i had netflix for a few months, got throttled, cancelled, then subscribed again a month later. i seem to be doing fine right now but if they start the throttling again i will give blockbuster online a try. blockbuster has a new deal where online subscribers get one free in store rental every week. since i am within walking distance i might give that a try.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:43 pm

I would think that the company will lose out if it continues this practice. It's best option is probably to just put a cap on monthly limits and to go with it.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:23 am

Very interesting article. Thanks! ;-D

As to the story itself, my in-laws us Blockbuster's monthly rental deal, and haven't had any issues with delays that I'm aware of.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:36 am

Madison wrote:Very interesting article. Thanks! ;-D

As to the story itself, my in-laws us Blockbuster's monthly rental deal, and haven't had any issues with delays that I'm aware of.

I've used both and they are about the same. I think Netflix has a better website, less damaged discs and better selection.

Blockbuster has 4 free in store rental coupons a month which is really sweet. Depending on what you are looking for is who I would suggest going with. They are basically the same.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:28 am

Phatferd wrote:
Madison wrote:Very interesting article. Thanks! ;-D

I've used both and they are about the same. I think Netflix has a better website, less damaged discs and better selection.

Blockbuster has 4 free in store rental coupons a month which is really sweet. Depending on what you are looking for is who I would suggest going with. They are basically the same.

Damaged disks? My in-laws have only had 1 show up damaged that I'm aware of.

Don't really know about the other two things: Website and selection, since I use neither one. I just tell my wife what I want, and she gets it. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:23 am

This thread just reminded me of a funny story that I shall tell everyone.

I was at a Christmas party this past Christmas and people were talking about Netflix. There was one old man there who said "I like the whole idea and process of it, but I don't like some of the movies they send me." Apparently he doesn't understand the whole choosing your movies thing. XD
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk