PENNY, CABRERA, MORRIS, HEILMAN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PENNY, CABRERA, MORRIS, HEILMAN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PENNY, CABRERA, MORRIS, HEILMAN

Postby phr3ak » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:09 am

You think this is a good order..

Cabrera
Morris
Penny
Heilman

What to expect?
phr3ak Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jazzfunk2 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:10 pm

I like Heilman in Shea Stadium (nice and friendly for pitchers),

D. Cabrera will be tutored by Mazzone, but Camden Park destroys ERA, pop-ups are home runs. Wait and see.

Brad Penny - ever since his injury, his numbers run the gamut. Don't stretch to grab Penny.

Morris in San Fran sounds like a decent 4th starter. He won't light the world on fire, but he doesn't have to.
jazzfunk2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:20 pm

I like Cabrera the best as well. I think he took a huge step forward last year. He's a ground ball pitcher so I don't think the small park will really make a big difference. His G/F was 1.73 in 2005, among the leaders in MLB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... yerId=5961

His main problem is control which is the case with most young pitchers with great stuff. But Mazzone should help him in that department to focus more on throwing strikes. He was hitting 100 MPH towards the end of the season and combined with his breaking ball/change up, when he is on, he is unhittable.

He also does poorly against lefties but setting up and locating his change up better should help him.

I think the X factor is Mazzone. After watching him turn out great production out of even mediocre pitchers, I think he will help Cabrera immensely in 06.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jazzfunk2 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 pm

The issue is not whether Cabrera has explosive stuff or not (he does), but will his strikeout totals balance out his 11-13 win total, 4.00+ ERA and 1.35-1.40 WHIP?

In a Keeper League, at 24 years old, Cabrera has definite value.
But, if this is a non-keeper then you better balance out those numbers. The owner who drafts Matt Morris, Freddy Garcia and other boring veterans to fill out the rotation finishes higher than the maverick who grabs Grienke, or Oliver Perez, or Capuano, or Bonderman (All guys on my teams who raised my ERA and WHIP to upsetting levels).

Learn from my mistakes, go for boring, solid numbers and always weigh a pitcher's ballpark into the equation. Yoda is 100 percent correct that Cabrera is a groundball pitcher who has control problems. Good luck and remember, boring wins titles.
jazzfunk2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 445)

Return to Baseball Leftovers