Roto Stat Value- Need Math Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto Stat Value- Need Math Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto Stat Value- Need Math Help

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:23 am

assume standard 5x5 roto: i have the total numbers from last years season with how many HR each team had, how many runs......and so on. what i want to figure out is how to find out how many home runs are equal to how many runs. i.e.

Player A: 100 Runs 30 HR 110 RBI 11 SB .300 AVG

vs.

Player B: 100 Runs 30 HR 80 RBI 20 SB .300 AVG

i wouldnt instantly know which player is more valuable to the team and want to know how to weigh 30 RBI vs. 9 SB. this is assuming a blank slate for the team, so the teams needs each stat equally. i did this last season but lost the formulas and now am having a brain lock as to how to get it again.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:36 am

There's no "simple formula", probably just some very crude estimates. You would need to be able to not only estimate the stats of the two players you are estimating, but the stats of all players in the possible draft pool. Then you'd have to compute the complete pool of HRs, Runs, SBs (whatever the stat you are comparing) above replacement level. Then figure out what percentage of that pool each player has. vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby klvrdude » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:43 am

Great question. I would try making $ calcs for both players and then comparing them. Here is a great thread describing how to make your own $ calculation.

If you want to take a short cut you can just mulitply each roto statistic by the following coefficients that Elijah already made:

R 0.20
HR 0.34
RBI 0.22
SB 0.37
AVG 0.23

I hope this helps.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:50 am

well im really trying to use this as a tool to rank starting pitchers. it seems like there should be a fairly simple way to know whos more valuable based on my projections. should it be possible to find out that every 20 K is worth 1 win, so if lackey wins 12 and K's 200 and Duke wins 14 but K's only 160, they are of equal value. if theres not then that sucks and ill really have to crunch some numbers. but if anyone has anything like that, please let me know.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:51 am

klvr that is exactly what i wanted. sorry didnt see your post. ;-D ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:15 am

what if it is a draft league....the article by elijah is tailored to auction leagues.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby klvrdude » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:41 am

rjforlife wrote:what if it is a draft league....the article by elijah is tailored to auction leagues.

Shouldn't be a big deal. Still calculate the $ value and then rank them in decending order to get a draft order.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:52 am

yes i suppose that would work just fine. ive been crunching numbers all night and my head hurts. not thinking too clearly. thanks.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby olympia0731 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:54 am

Check out this formula. It is from Henry Lees fantasy baseball startegy. First figure out how many stats it took in a specific cat to gain a point in the standing.

2: If you don't want too do this for hitters the amount it took to gain a point in a specific cat are avg: .002 hr:5 rbi: 19 r: 17 sb:5

3: You find the stats for the average player in the leaque. My average player is .285 20 rbi 81 r85 sb:9

Next you subtract the players stats form the average players stats and divide by the number it took to gain a point in the standing. This works for every thing besides AVERAGE.

for average the formula is: (10/11)*1697)+h)/ (10/11)*5947+ab)-.avg. Divide this by .002 and you have your avg ranking.

There is one more step wich I made. Since I believe in pos scarcity.Once you add uo the total pint value you then subtract it by the average point value of each position.

BINGO YOU HAVE YOUR RANKINGS
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers