STOP!.........or my pre-Neolithic tribe will shoot!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

STOP!.........or my pre-Neolithic tribe will shoot!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

STOP!.........or my pre-Neolithic tribe will shoot!!

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:57 pm

I love stories like this b/c I love seeing cultural differences and its almost like you've travelled back in time. One strange thing though is that with an estimated population that small that they have not encountered problems with inbreeding in a manner sufficient to render them insufficiently functional for that type of grinding, labor-intensive lifestyle. Their actual numbers must be larger.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... world.html

Stone Age tribe kills fishermen who strayed on to island
By Peter Foster in New Delhi
(Filed: 08/02/2006)

One of the world's last Stone Age tribes has murdered two fishermen whose boat drifted on to a desert island in the Indian Ocean.

The Sentinelese, thought to number between 50 and 200, have rebuffed all contact with the modern world, firing a shower of arrows at anyone who comes within range.

Sentinelese tribesmen prepare to fire arrows at the coastguard helicopter after the fishermen's murder

They are believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world to remain isolated and appear to have survived the 2004 Asian tsunami.

The two men killed, Sunder Raj, 48, and Pandit Tiwari, 52, were fishing illegally for mud crabs off North Sentinel Island, a speck of land in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands archipelago.

Fellow fishermen said they dropped anchor for the night on Jan 25 but fell into a deep sleep, probably helped by large amounts of alcohol.

During the night their anchor, a rock tied to a rope, failed to hold their open-topped boat against the currents and they drifted towards the island.

Tribesmen clamber over the fishermen's beached boat

"As day broke, fellow fishermen say they tried to shout at the men and warn them they were in danger," said Samir Acharya, the head of the Society for Andaman and Nicobar Ecology, an environmental organisation.

"However they did not respond - they were probably drunk - and the boat drifted into the shallows where they were attacked and killed."

After the fishermen's families raised the alarm, the Indian coastguard tried to recover the bodies using a helicopter but was met by the customary hail of arrows.

Photographs shot from the helicopter show the near-naked tribesmen rushing to fire. But the downdraught from its rotors exposed the two fisherman buried in shallow graves and not roasted and eaten, as local rumour suggested.

Mr Acharya said the erroneous belief in the tribe's cannibalism grew from the practice of another tribe, the Onge, who would cut up and burn their dead to avoid them returning as evil spirits.

"People saw the flesh cooking on the fire and thought they must be cannibals but this incident clearly contradicts that belief," he said.

Attempts to recover the bodies of the two men have been suspended, although the Andaman Islands police chief, Dharmendra Kumar, said an operation might be mounted later.

"Right now, there will be casualties on both sides," he said from Port Blair. "The tribesmen are out in large numbers. We shall let things cool down and once these tribals move to the island's other end we will sneak in and bring back the bodies."

Environmental groups urged the authorities to leave the bodies and respect the three-mile exclusion zone thrown around the island.

In the 1980s and early 1990s many Sentinelese were killed in skirmishes with armed salvage operators who visited the island after a shipwreck. Since then the tribesmen have remained virtually undisturbed.

DNA analysis of another tribe, the Jarawa, whose members made first contact with the outside world in 1997, suggest that the tribesmen migrated from Africa around 60,000 years ago.

However, the experience of the Jarawa since their emergence - sexual exploitation, alcoholism and a measles epidemic - has encouraged efforts to protect the Sentinelese from a similar fate.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:48 am

This is completely insane. Awesome find. ;-D
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:22 am

So this is what Anthropology majors do. I always wondered what they did.

Sweet read.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:04 am

I love stuff like this. I remember hearing about these guys after the tsunami last year. Hopefully they are left alone to go about their business. I'd hate to see them undergo the same fate as the Machiguenga, of Peru (and countless other peoples).
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Someone call Bush this is an outrage. Man the Nukes! Al Qaeda could be hiding there!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 pm

That's an awesome story.

They should be left alone.

On a side note could those fishermen have been portrayed any worse? Drunk, theiving and incompetent. :-b

acsguitar wrote:Someone call Bush this is an outrage. Man the Nukes! Al Qaeda could be hiding there!

on a further side note - dude, give it a rest.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:That's an awesome story.

They should be left alone.

On a side note could those fishermen have been portrayed any worse? Drunk, theiving and incompetent. :-b

acsguitar wrote:Someone call Bush this is an outrage. Man the Nukes! Al Qaeda could be hiding there!

on a further side note - dude, give it a rest.

That was all in good humor...it was a cool story though ;-D

nice to know there are still natural palces in the world
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:29 pm

It's also interesting to consider how this happened. Surely, we must have known about them for quite awhile now. Are they like the Amish and choose to stay away from the outside world, or have they actually been that isolated for that long of a time?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:41 pm

luckygehrig wrote:It's also interesting to consider how this happened. Surely, we must have known about them for quite awhile now. Are they like the Amish and choose to stay away from the outside world, or have they actually been that isolated for that long of a time?

i don't know but I think I saw one of those dudes on the subway in NYC
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:53 pm

acsguitar wrote:
luckygehrig wrote:It's also interesting to consider how this happened. Surely, we must have known about them for quite awhile now. Are they like the Amish and choose to stay away from the outside world, or have they actually been that isolated for that long of a time?

i don't know but I think I saw one of those dudes on the subway in NYC

Good one... JOHN ROCKER!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk