K/BB,K,or K/9 with WHIP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

K/BB,K,or K/9 with WHIP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GreenFish » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:37 pm

Matthias - I am trying to get the exactly what you are talking about. A mix of good stats which reward the best players and doesn't encourage stuff like roster churning. I also am trying to do more stats instead of the traditional 5x5. I was shooting for a 7x7.

Here is what I have so far:
Hitting stats: R, HR, RBI, SB, K, AVG, OPS
Pitching stats: W, L, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

I generally don't like plain K as a stat in head to head but I think it probably works best here.
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:43 pm

Matthias wrote:i'm going to slightly disagree with everyone here.

k/bb is a great statistic, but so is whip. if you're already using whip, then just k's makes more sense.

here's my logic: it's good to have a mix of cumulative, average, and sometimes negative statistics to balance everything out and make no particular strategy great other than simply taking great players.

if you have k/bb and whip, you're using two statistics that reward relievers that will have high k's, low walks, and low hits. if you use only k's, you're encouraging pitcher churning and plugging in long starters who may be wild, but manage to get some k's along the way.

if you use k's and whip together, you're rewarding top-of-the-line starters, moderately rewarding quality closers, and hurting/helping mediocre starters, which in my mind is how baseball (real and fantasy) should be set up.

so... long story short, the key is not only in selecting good statistics, but in selecting statistics that work together to encourage quality players instead of just a particular fantasy baseball strategy.

Very astute post.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:33 pm

KolbSaves wrote:
Matthias wrote:i'm going to slightly disagree with everyone here.

k/bb is a great statistic, but so is whip. if you're already using whip, then just k's makes more sense.

here's my logic: it's good to have a mix of cumulative, average, and sometimes negative statistics to balance everything out and make no particular strategy great other than simply taking great players.

if you have k/bb and whip, you're using two statistics that reward relievers that will have high k's, low walks, and low hits. if you use only k's, you're encouraging pitcher churning and plugging in long starters who may be wild, but manage to get some k's along the way.

if you use k's and whip together, you're rewarding top-of-the-line starters, moderately rewarding quality closers, and hurting/helping mediocre starters, which in my mind is how baseball (real and fantasy) should be set up.

so... long story short, the key is not only in selecting good statistics, but in selecting statistics that work together to encourage quality players instead of just a particular fantasy baseball strategy.

Very astute post.

The league I was in last year used both K/BB and WHIP. I think K/BB is a pretty good stat, but anytime my pitcher would have a 7-walk game (hellooo Jason Schmidt :-/ ) it would be pretty devastating in at least two categories..
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:43 pm

I like K/9 better than K/BB. While K/BB is interesting, it rewards those guys who don't walk people, but get hit around.

Carlos Silva lead baseball last year in K/BB, not really helpful to a fantasy team. Also, David Wells, Brad Radke, and Javier Vazquez were in the top 10 in K/BB. Josh Towers was number 11.

Using K/BB mean fantasy players would need to include pitchers they would normally leave off their fantasy squad.

Just a note, the top 3 in K/9 last year? Prior, Peavy, and Santana.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby deldawg39 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:49 pm

you might also want to consider BAA
deldawg39
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:52 pm

K/9 would make the most sense under your scoring system. K/BB is redundant since BB is already accounted for in WHIP.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreenFish » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:02 pm

deldawg39 wrote:you might also want to consider BAA

Thanks but that does not appear to be an option with free Yahoo leagues.
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers