Damon, Crisp, Holliday, Wells, or Giles? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Damon, Crisp, Holliday, Wells, or Giles?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:31 am

I think we are under-valueing Giles here a bit.

Man hits 300...15-20 Hrs 85 or so rbis 90+ runs 10-15 SBs.

Take him anyday over Crisp and Holliday (lots of hype there...we shall see). V Wells' avg sort of blows and that cancels out the HR advantage he has over Giles. More rbis, a lot less runs and a few SBs lead to an effective toss up between the two.

Damon is clearly the best of the lot.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:40 am

I'd put Damon first, but Wells has the highest ceiling of those players.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:45 am

Take him anyday over Crisp and Holliday (lots of hype there...we shall see). V Wells' avg sort of blows and that cancels out the HR advantage he has over Giles. More rbis, a lot less runs and a few SBs lead to an effective toss up between the two.

Giles is :-t :-t
I had him last season ....never going to draft him again...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:52 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:

Giles is :-t :-t
I had him last season ....never going to draft him again...

Sorry, but that is just utter nonsense. He was a 20 dollar outfielder (5x5, 12 team). Adam Dunn was $21 his crummy avg off-setting the HRs. Giles was on par with Floyd, Pierre and Burrell last season. If you expected 40 Hrs, you were not projecting well. A $20 OF has plenty of value. He may not be a 40 dollar Manny, but no one expects him to be.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:13 am

Im still never going to draft him again...

He goes on too many long stretches where he doesn't do anything on the plate but walk....
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby auclairkeithbc » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:46 am

Wells
Crisp
Damon
Holliday

Giles
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:55 am

TB13 wrote:Damon, first is a no-brainer. Follwed by

Wells
Crisp
Holiday
Giles

Holiday and Giles are a toss-up, IMO.

http://www.budmans.com/baseball/BB05/ML5fbVal.htm

Why is everyone so down on Holliday? I think he's the #1 here easy. In only 125 games, he ranked 2nd in dollars earned. Expect another 30 games from him, plus he's still pre-peak. Damon will regress a bit leaving Fenway. Crisp should hit a few more hrs. Damons BA was inflated by a 37% 1st half hit rate. Why do folks think Wells has the most upside? He's declined 2 straight years now, off his fluke 03 year.

Holliday
Crisp
Damon
Wells
Giles
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:55 am

hootie you read my mind. holliday is the tops here. a young man in colorado, holliday is going to really up the numbers from maturity and from playing 25-30 more games.

damon overrated after playing his a$$ off in a contract year and now that he has the fat yankee contract i expect an across the board dropoff.

crisps move is really lateral in my mind as all the factors involved will cancel themselves out. hes a good player, and his stats will beat damons.

the problem with giles is the possibility of further decline with age and really not a great offense.

wells is a superstud that took another step back last season with bouts of inconsistency. i like that offense to grow together this season into a solid group, with wells leading the movement.

Holliday
Crisp
Wells
Damon
Giles
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby TB13 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:12 am

HOOTIE wrote:Why is everyone so down on Holliday?

I am not down on him at all. However, the fact remains that there is quite a discrepancy between his stats at Coors and away from Coors. Until he shows anything different, he is a platoon player. Albeit, a GREAT platoon player to have. He is a monster for half his games, but when he is away from Coors, you are better off with some one else. Ideally, if I could have him and Giles, I have one terrific outfielder. Holliday for the Coors games and Giles for the rest. Then at times when Giles plays in Coors, you play them both and sit another outfielder. Or when Holliday plays in some of the better hitting parks (Great American Bandbox, etc), you can play them both.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:11 pm

TB13 wrote:I am not down on him at all. However, the fact remains that there is quite a discrepancy between his stats at Coors and away from Coors. Until he shows anything different, he is a platoon player. Albeit, a GREAT platoon player to have. He is a monster for half his games, but when he is away from Coors, you are better off with some one else.

So are players A and B platoon players?

A

home ops 1.109
road ops .809 .300 difference

B

home ops 1.011
road ops .639 .372 difference

Holliday

home ops 1.002
road ops .729 .283 difference
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers