Trade: Al Michaels for Bunny and Cartoon to be named later - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Trade: Al Michaels for Bunny and Cartoon to be named later

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade: Al Michaels for Bunny and Cartoon to be named later

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Al Michaels was traded from ABC to NBC for a cartoon bunny, four rounds of golf and Olympic highlights.

The rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, a bunny created by Walt Disney in the 1920s before he invented Mickey Mouse, were transferred from NBC Universal to The Walt Disney Co. as part of the agreement to release the broadcaster from his contract with ABC and ESPN.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:20 pm

ESPN announced Wednesday that Mike Tirico will be the play-by-play announcer, while Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will serve as analysts when ESPN takes over Monday night coverage in the 2006 season.

:-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:29 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:ESPN announced Wednesday that Mike Tirico will be the play-by-play announcer, while Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will serve as analysts when ESPN takes over Monday night coverage in the 2006 season.

:-? :-? Seriously? Theismann and Kornheiser? Holy Jeez. I love Tony, but he should NOT be doing any type of in-game commentary whatsoever. Way too overpowering a personality. And Theismann is just a douchebag anyway.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:30 pm

8-o
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:32 pm

WharfRat wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:ESPN announced Wednesday that Mike Tirico will be the play-by-play announcer, while Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will serve as analysts when ESPN takes over Monday night coverage in the 2006 season.

:-? :-? Seriously? Theismann and Kornheiser? Holy Jeez. I love Tony, but he should NOT be doing any type of in-game commentary whatsoever. Way too overpowering a personality. And Theismann is just a douchebag anyway.

That's going to be the worst group of MNF hosts ever. Kornheiser is a great sportswriter and I like to listen to his stuff on the radio but him as a game analyst? I just can't see that. And then Theismann is just a plain idiot and Tirico is probably the most borign play by play guy I've ever seen. MNF is going to suck this year.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:38 pm

Red Stripe wrote:
WharfRat wrote:

That's going to be the worst group of MNF hosts ever. Kornheiser is a great sportswriter and I like to listen to his stuff on the radio but him as a game analyst? I just can't see that. And then Theismann is just a plain idiot and Tirico is probably the most borign play by play guy I've ever seen. MNF is going to suck this year.

no kidding 8-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:09 pm

Holy crap, that's odd, but hilarious :-D

In ten years my boss is going to trade me for an accountant and a Big Mac...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:53 pm

There is more to this deal. Here is everything.

ESPN.com news services

In the deadly serious business of sports, a cartoon character from 1927 played a role in Al Michaels' hop from Monday Night Football to NBC.

The network traded rights to Ryder Cup matches, Olympics highlights, historic cartoon character Oswald the Rabbit and more to ESPN to acquire the services of Emmy-winner Michaels for its Sunday night games it was announced Thursday.

NBC takes over Sunday night next season from ESPN, which will broadcast Monday Night Football. John Madden, Michaels' partner for the last four seasons, agreed in June to a six-year contract with NBC.

Besides Madden and Michaels, NBC will have Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth as co-hosts of the network's studio show.

"When we made the deal with the NFL this spring, there were four key stars I knew I wanted to build our football team around, but I wondered from the beginning, if I would be lucky enough to get them all," NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said in a statement Thursday.

To get the final piece of Ebersol's team, NBC gave ESPN broader access to the Olympics, Ryder Cup golf, Notre Dame football, the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness.

NBC also returned Oswald the Rabbit to The Walt Disney Company almost 80 years after the character played a role in the development of Disney's signature icon.

Walt Disney produced 26 Oswald cartoons in 1927, but Universal distributed the series and owned the rights to the character, prompting Disney to develop Mickey Mouse.

Specifically, ESPN gets:

• Rights to broadcast live Friday coverage of the Ryder Cup golf championship between the United States and Europe in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014, as well as the right to re-air NBC coverage and extended highlights.

• Expanded Olympics highlights from this year through 2012.

• Monday Night Football promotions during the NBC Sunday night through 2011.

• Expanded highlights from Notre Dame football, the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness through 2011.

When the Monday games move to ESPN next season, retired quarterback Joe Theismann, Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico will be in the ESPN booth.

Michaels had been with ABC since 1976 and had been the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football since 1986, when he replaced Frank Gifford.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:14 pm

Phatferd wrote:There is more to this deal. Here is everything.

I like my version of the story better... this isn't that "deadly" serious. I mean, really, Al Michaels for a cartton bunny. That's what it comes down to.

It should just go to show that to the networks and people to make the sports, it's just business and money... while it's really the fans who are taking it way to seriously.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:43 pm

I saw that and couldn't stop laughing!! :-D :-D :-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk