QUICK HELP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

QUICK HELP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

QUICK HELP

Postby patty cheeks » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:36 pm

I have the third pick of the prospect draft and I still have only a few hours left... and I dunno who to pick with the 3rd pick... our league has this eligibilty rule where we can only pick prospects that haven't pitch one inning or gone one AB at the Majors so someone like Hermida or Liriano aren't available but someone like Justin Upton or Brandon Wood are... who should i pick

I have the third pick remember and DELMON YOUNG and ALEX GORDON have been picked...

should I pick Stephen Drew, Justin Upton, Brandon Wood, Ian Stewart, Chad Billingsley, or someone else?
patty cheeks
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:38 pm

I'd go J upton if you can wait a year or two...I Stewart otherwise...maybe Billy Butler

Upton (so they say) is one of the best prospects coming out of highscholl in the last 20 years...Some have compared him to Griffey Jr
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Jenkins » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:36 pm

I like Butler here (Delmon-like hitter). I took him 2nd in our draft.

If you can wait Upton has huge potential as well.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EvSolo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:26 am

i know the critics of B. Wood argue, and rightfully so, that he only has one good year under his belt. but the season he had was truley amazing and shouldnt be overlooked. i would not feel comfortable letting him slip past this third pick. his power potential is huge, and hes closer to the majors then j. upton who hasnt seen a professional pitch yet.
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:42 am

I'd go woth Wood. He is much closer to big leagues.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:25 am

thedude wrote:I'd go woth Wood. He is much closer to big leagues.

Everyone listed will be in AA or higher, so Wood really isn't any closer to the majors except for Upton.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:58 am

If you can wait for a couple of years, I think Justin Upton is the right pick in this spot. He has a super high ceiling and can be one of those special once every 10 or 15 year type of players.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:24 pm

hybrid wrote:

Everyone listed will be in AA or higher, so Wood really isn't any closer to the majors except for Upton.

I thought the choice was done to Upton vs. Wood. Wood is closer to big leagues than Upton. Upton will start the year in Low A ball. He might get to High A by the end of the year. He will have at least one and as many as 2-3 more years before he is major league regular.

So yes most of the possible choices are at least in double A. But if the choice is down to Upton vs. Wood (which it should be) then Wood wins fantasy wise because he is farther along and will likely remain at short, while Upton is 2-4 years away and could be moved to the outfeild or third base before he reaches the show.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Jenkins » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:35 pm

thedude wrote:
hybrid wrote:

I thought the choice was done to Upton vs. Wood. Wood is closer to big leagues than Upton. Upton will start the year in Low A ball. He might get to High A by the end of the year. He will have at least one and as many as 2-3 more years before he is major league regular.

So yes most of the possible choices are at least in double A. But if the choice is down to Upton vs. Wood (which it should be) then Wood wins fantasy wise because he is farther along and will likely remain at short, while Upton is 2-4 years away and could be moved to the outfeild or third base before he reaches the show.

I doubt Wood will stay at SS. He is huge and his build will most likely not work in the Majors. I see him playing 3B.

That being said, I agree Upton will probably move since Drew is a phenominal defensive SS in AZ and the SS of the future.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:49 pm

Well all and all I only view Wood as 1 year closer to the majors right now. I think Upton will finish in High A if not AA, so he wouldn't be much behind. Also there is a good chance both move off SS, to either 3B or OF in Upton's case. I'm not nearly sold on Wood as everyone seems to have become, and I would rank the names he listed (besides Upton) as right with Wood.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball