What position can you hold off drafting early this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What position can you hold off drafting early this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:32 am

I actually think SS is the one to not try to hold out on. I think the dropoff there after maybe the first six guys is pretty big, So I'd want to make sure I get one of them.

I'd much rather hold out on catcher, where the late round Pierzinski's and so on produce pretty much the same as the likes of Posada who'll go much higher, or 2B, where if you don't get Utley or Kent, you can still get a fairly good guy (perhaps Iguchi) really late on.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby TB13 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:16 am

2nd base and catcher are two position that you can hold off on. Unless you can nab a Lopez between rounds 10-12, you might as well hold off until round 20+.
And if you do not have someone like Utley, Soriano, Giles, Kent, or Weekes ( I may be leaving one or two out), you might as well hold off until after round 15 to take a 2nd baseman, as the value you get there will not be different from anyone who jumps on the next "best" one, for fears of position scarcity.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:12 pm

I actually hate waiting on a 1B. While it's deep at 1B, it is difficult to make up the gap between the top 1B and mid level guys.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:37 pm

I say SP and C.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Area51's » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:08 pm

Catcher...its one of my bargains every year. On a ten team league, with only one Starting C...you can always find a top 4-5 catcher (ending season stats) very very late...you just might have to audition a few during the season
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers