What position can you hold off drafting early this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What position can you hold off drafting early this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby xeifrank » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:12 pm

Alot of it depends on your league settings. But given a standard yahoo type of league, I try to into a draft looking for "need based value" or NBV. This means that each draft is unique, different players are taken too early by other owners and you have to be flexible and adjust accordingly. If people are going after shortstops or thirdbasemen too early (based on my valuations) then that means there are bargains at other positions and I can still get my SS or 3B in a later round. Given how there are always a half dozen or so closers that weren't closers on opening day, I would hesitate to draft any closers early unless they were huge bargains (by that I mean they slipped a couple of rounds below where I'd ranked them). vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:45 pm

George_Foreman wrote:I'd be willing to wait a bit longer than usual on 2B. There seems to be quite a few good 2B developing, so you shoudl be able to get a decent option without breaking the bank.

Feel free to wait on 3B, but just bear in mind that the position really bottoms out after about 10-12 guys, so make sure you get one of them.

2b would be my pick. you could get a decent pick with the 6th or 7th guy.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby giants! » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:08 pm

1b. assuming you miss the four in the first round, then you can wait to select like the 11th 1b who is howard or even take a chance on giambi
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby UnsungHero » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm

pitching (both starters and closers)
as far as starters go if i cant get santana or peavy i might as well wait, the middle tier of pitchers you never know what you are going to get and there is a lot of value to be had late. players like morris and bonderman always slip late in drafts and they give you solid stats

i learned my lesson with closers last year taking percival and mota back to back in the 7th/8th so i might as well either lock up k-rod or take my chances late or on the mavier wire

as far as posistion players go 2nd base is really deep if you cant snag utley/soriano/figgins you can still nad solid players like polanco or potential stud like weeks and kinsler
UnsungHero
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Catcher is the most obvious one in a standard 12 team 5 x5.

If you can't get V-Mart early or Lopez in the 9th-10th, wait until the last round of your draft and grab AJ Pierzynski, Mike Barrett, Johnny Estrada or Rod Barajas.

These guys will all do the job and you can take them where you usually pick up guys that hit the WW within a few weeks of the fantasy season starting.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Thursday » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:05 am

SS is deep, surprisingly, and 1B of course has about a million power hitters.

OF i don't think is as deep as it once was.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Rohan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:08 am

I picked v-mart in the 3rd round last year, and I got burned.

to think that I could have chosen D. Lee, Peavy, Mariano
and 40 home run Dunn! is disturbing
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:23 am

Depends on how you define deep. I think there are 2 distinct SS tiers:

One with Michael Young, Tejada, Reyes, Furcal and Rollins
All studs.

One with Peralta, Lugo, Lopez, Barmes, Renteria, Guillen, etc.
All mediocre or question marks.

I think the mid level has definitely gotten deeper as you likely can find an "adequate" one. QUite a difference between Renteria or Guillen and Tejada though. And if you play with a MI, look out.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WittyC » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:31 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Depends on how you define deep. I think there are 2 distinct SS tiers:

One with Michael Young, Tejada, Reyes, Furcal and Rollins
All studs.

One with Peralta, Lugo, Lopez, Barmes, Renteria, Guillen, etc.
All mediocre or question marks.

I think the mid level has definitely gotten deeper as you likely can find an "adequate" one. QUite a difference between Renteria or Guillen and Tejada though. And if you play with a MI, look out.

I like Peralta as a good guy to target in any league. He won't go in the initial run that includes Young, Tejada, Reyes, Furcal and Rollins, but I think he'll out-perform most of those guys, depending on how much you value SB's.

I'm always a fan of holding off on pitching early, but as was mentioned earlier in the thread, drafting is all about value, so it's not very efficient to head into a draft telling yourself to hold off on a certain position until late.

3B and 1B are deep as usual, but at this point I think that the UTIL spot can basically be penciled in as containing a player from one of those two positions... so I certainly wouldn't be shy about loading up on those guys early.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby demoicurn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:03 am

i only am doing auctions this year, so where i take different players in which round, i can't help ya.... i can help on which position is the deepest/shallowest in a 12 team league.... i base my findings on the players on the bottom of my lists in comparison to their overall rankings... and they are from shallow to deepest....
2b, ss, of, 3b, 1b
sp and rp are always a big risk position if you spend too much money or "put your eggs in 1 basket"... and catcher is such a fantasy crap position... especially in my league where we have 2 c positions to fill....
2b has too many unproven kids and is too overhyped for my liking...
1b has all your proven power hitters...
3b was a close 2nd w/1b...
of is well, of... thats where im hunting for your "sizemore"s and "holliday"s of 2006....
good luck in 06
demoicurn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers