What position can you hold off drafting early this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What position can you hold off drafting early this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What position can you hold off drafting early this year?

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 pm

I know we're all in the process of evaluating & ranking players but doesn't it seem like SS is extremely deep this year?

Of course you have Tejada, Young, Rollins, Jeter, Reyes, Furcal, Lopez, Peralto & Lugo, etc.

But the next batch of guys like Barmes, Renteria, Guillen, Crosby, Nomar & Cabrera are all real solid in their own right.

Am I way off base here?

Any other positions you guys are thinking about holding off on early in your drafts?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:59 pm

3rd base too
arod, wright, cabrera, figgins, arm, chavez, rolen, cantu, ensberg, blalock, mora are all good options
and beltre glaus tracy and atkins arent that bad
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Aces Wild » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:05 pm

SP basically cuz there are not a lot of good options, that would be taken in the first few rounds. 3B is deep.
Aces Wild
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby statsman88 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:20 pm

j24jags wrote:3rd base too
arod, wright, cabrera, figgins, arm, chavez, rolen, cantu, ensberg, blalock, mora are all good options
and beltre glaus tracy and atkins arent that bad

Yea, I agree, last year Ensberg was an FA for awhile, look how he turned out
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Nene » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:28 pm

since there isn't much @ catcher, I usually stay away from the best couple and just get a middle tier guy, but that's my strategy.
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J_Cuz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Ideally, you'd want to be ready to hold off at ANY position and go for value where you see fit. Now the world is not ideal and usually I find it best to evaluate position runs and decide whether you want to participate. The only position I'd say NEVER hold off on would be RP. My reasoning is simple: You want to have at least 3-4 solid RP's when you leave the draft and ideally 1-2 prospects at the position as well.

Many will tell you to wait it out and play for the high-reward Derrick Turnbow types but you can do BOTH.

Look at it this way: Every year this time a guy is running round talking about how he "won saves" by waiting till the twelth round to select his first closer and then he ended up with Street, Jones and C.Cordero and therefore there is no value in going in early.

Conversely, the guy in second maybe drafted Rivera, Hoffman, Batista and Kolb and dealt Kolb for a front line starter to a desperate team in early May.

as long as a guy's closing you can deal him so I say load up on them and PARTICIPATE in the runs, even if you're guy loses his job and is a disaster you can just as easily write that off as typical "roster churn" just like the guy who spent a mid-rounder on Pavano.

Otherwise, Plans B and C should be addressed in advance so that you cn wait as long as you can draft completely from a position of power.

And I consider drafing many relievers throughout the draft as drafting from a position of power. Why? Because when the guy next to you sees your staff loaded with Rivera and two Corderos the heat will be ON HIM to scrape up answers for his own roster.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dewey finn » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:56 pm

If I can't get Victor Martinez in the 3rd round, I wait till the end to draft a lower end catcher since they're all the same.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:09 pm

I'd be willing to wait a bit longer than usual on 2B. There seems to be quite a few good 2B developing, so you shoudl be able to get a decent option without breaking the bank.

Feel free to wait on 3B, but just bear in mind that the position really bottoms out after about 10-12 guys, so make sure you get one of them.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby savvy_stu » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:49 pm

dewey finn wrote:If I can't get Victor Martinez in the 3rd round, I wait till the end to draft a lower end catcher since they're all the same.

I'm not sure that I'd spend my third rounder on V-Mart.. But I won't be taking my catcher until the last round of my 12-teamer this year.

After V-Mart, Varitek, Mauer, Posada, and Javy; they all start to blur... But I'm in a league that uses OBP instead of AVG.
savvy_stu
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ironman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:05 pm

I usually take one closer in the middle of the draft and then either grab some nobody late or just make some waiver wire pickups later in the season.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers