Ryan Zimmerman??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Zimmerman???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Tiex » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:55 pm

yea i know his glove is the best part of him but his bat is nothing to be laughed at. I read (though this is a huge stretch) him being compared to Cal Ripken. Though this is highly unlikely we will be seeing the next Cal, im just sayin don't be suprissed if he proves to e a very solid player this year.
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:59 pm

Yeah. I saw someone throwing around Ripken and (perhaps a bit more reasonably) Rolen when they were talking about Zimmerman and I kinda snickered. WAAAAAAY too eary to start throwing those names around. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:02 pm

Big Tiex wrote:yea i know his glove is the best part of him but his bat is nothing to be laughed at. I read (though this is a huge stretch) him being compared to Cal Ripken. Though this is highly unlikely we will be seeing the next Cal, im just sayin don't be suprissed if he proves to e a very solid player this year.

I'm not sure where you read that, but unless they were talking about their gloves ... I don't think it's a good comparison. Look at it this way, he is in a bad ball park, a bad line up, isn't going to hit for power, and you have a 3B you shouldn't bother with. He could be nice in the future, .300 avg 20 HR power, but right now he isn't worth much of anything
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Any thoughts on him???

should hit for a good average but probably wont hit for enough power to be useful in a 12 team mixed league. unfortunately his real life value wont translate to fantasy value this year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:30 pm

I think of Zimmerman as kind of an overrated sleeper... as was mentioned, he has a high upside, but I don't think he'll be particularly productive this year.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby djacks » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:55 pm

Zimmerman did however have 10 doubles in just 53 at-bats last year to go along with that .397 average. He'll never be a true power slugger but he should provide above average numbers for a backup 3B. In a keeper he's definetly worth taking in the later rounds...in a re-draft he's on the bubble as a late pick for a reserve. He should be a lock for a .300 average and mid-teen HR's. Depending on your league setup he could still prove valuable with his high number of doubles.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:06 pm

He's this year's Garrett Atkins.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:28 am

i just don't see where you guys see the power coming from...zero HRs in 58 ABs is a small sample size BUT what about 3 years of college ball (metal bats) 174 games in which he hit a grand total of 7 HRs !!! why is he gonna hit 15-20 HRs in the ML w/a wood bat in washington of all places ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stumpak » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:41 am

He should be near worthless this year. Even if you suppose .275/12, which may be optimistic, keep in mind that he will be hitting way down the batting order of the worst offense in the NL playing in an extreme pitcher's park. I doubt he will be good for more than 50R or 75 RBI. .275/12/50/75 is atrocious for a 3B.

He has never had a AAA AB. .300 is an absurb expectation for 2006.

In keeper leagues, he is worth something, but not if he clogs up an active roster spot.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers