Deep, deep sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Deep, deep sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WittyC » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 am

Sergio Mitre in Florida is one of my favorite deep sleepers.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:21 am

Are Hermidia and Granderson really such deep sleepers? These guys are top prospects who will have starting gigs. Picking up either or both between rounds 15-18 is not such a reach.
Now someone like Freddy Sanchez (once Roberts gets traded), Murton, Nevin (good call on him, if you miss out on every other 1st baseman), Willingham are very good examples of deeeeeep sleepers.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby puckyou21 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:36 am

A few of my favorites...

JJ Hardy
Cory Sullivan
Matt Murton
Anthony Reyes
Ian Kinsler
Jay Gibbons
"He who forgets will be destined to remember" -Ed Vedder
puckyou21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:45 am

Aaron Guiel and Chip Ambres should both get ABs this year in Kansas City. Guiel hit 30 HRs in the minors and had a good year in KC a couple years back. He is 100% healthy and if he gets 350-450 ABs he should get you around 20 HR and 70 RBI. Ambres for the ABs he got last year did pretty solid, and both are still really young.

Jason Michaels is another one to look at. And if Casey Blake has another year like last year, look for Franklin G to steal some ABS from him. Same thing with Aaron Boone and Andy Marte at third.

Shawn Chacon did really solid in NY last year and had a 2.79 ERA and 1.22 with a good win loss record. 13-15 wins and an ERA under 4 is not out of the qustion.

Here is a list of vetrans that will probably go undrafted, but have a good shot at bouncing back and even if they are half as good as they once were would contribute in a 20 team league.

Carl Everett, Mike Piazza, Vincent Padilla, Orlando Hernandez, Shannon Stewart, Matt Stairs, Randy Wolf, Jose Cruz Jr., Phil Nevin, Corey Koskie, Carlos Pena, Wade Miller, Mike Matheny, Toby Hall, Tony Batista and Jeff Conine.

Jerome Williams, David Bush and Kirk Sarloss could have good years on their teams. Jerome started to break out in Chicago last year, and I could see a 10-12 win 3.70-3.90 ERA season from him. David Bush should be good and Kirk should rack up some wins in Oakland.

For good outfield options:
Juan Rivera, Laynce Nix, Ryan Church, and Brad Hawpe. Juan Rivera is waiting to break out for a .290-25-80-10 season. Nix should and probably will get some PT and in a full season he could hit 20 HR and 80 RBI. Ryan Church should be solid and Brad Hawpe plays in coors.

Also, any Orioles started should be solid this season.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tommy John » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:27 pm

Good call on Juan Rivera, he could be very solid in many categories if given the opportunity

Ronny Cedeno (Can believe that he was lucky or that he learned to hit, he is still only 22 and can provide some spead as well)

Aaron Boone (on another post)

Jeremy Reed (a lot of people have forgotten about him after only one year)

Mike Lowell (you never know)

Sean Burroughs
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby daullaz » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:49 pm

Depending on which positions you're looking at toward the end of the draft...

C: John Buck, KC
1B: Nick Johnson, Was
2B: Ron Belliard, Cle
3B: Tony Batista, Min
SS: Juan Uribe, ChW
OF: Jason Kubel, Min; David DeJesus, KC
SP: Oliver Perez, Pit; Odalis Perez, LAD; Bruce Chen, Bal; Scott Baker, Min
RP: Scot Shields, LAA; Ambroix Burgois, KC; Fernando Rodney, Det
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Half Massed » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:47 pm

David Delluci
Nate Robertson
Juan Encarnacion
Louis Matos
Corey Sullivan
Jay Payton
Alex Rios
David DeJesus
Jonny Estrada
Paul Malholm
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 pm

I'll just give you a breakdown for the Brewers since its the team I know the best.

David Bush - If he improves with age the move from the NL east to the AL central and with Mike Maddux showing him the ropes I expect a decent year out of Bush. He's not a big K guy and he may end up in the bullpen(though I think its unlikely) but he does hold some sleeper value.

Billy Hall - Most likely he won't be around, but he may slip since he doesn't have a fulltime gig. He's the backup at half the positions on the field though and if anyone gets hurt he's a starter worth a good bit. Don't expect a repeat of last years numbers though, he overproduced last year so someone will probably take him and use him for his 400 AB's.

J.J. Hardy - Among shortstops, Hardy ranked fifth in AVG (.308), seventh in OBP (.363), second in SLG (.503), and fourth in OPS (.865) after the All-Star break last year. He's a big secret because he hit under .200 in the first half after missing most of 2004 with a shoulder injury and then skipping AAA and going straight to the majors. He doesn't have a lot of speed and probably only has 15-20 HR power but it is possible he could bat 2nd which would give him strong value.

Cory Hart - I don't think he has much sleeper potential. If an OF goes down I think Hart and Gross will split the playtime and I just don't see him playing full time.

Matt Wise - If anything happens to Turnbow my guess is he steps into the closer role and gets the saves.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers