What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Tavish wrote:Canada is OK in my book. The problem I have with the Blue Jays is I hate going to their games in KC because I know I'll have to listen to the extra National Anthem.

Oh Canada really does suck as a song. It's even worse with the french parts. We should start a petition to change the national anthem to the McKenzie brothers/Geddy Lee classic "Take off to the Great White North".

Anybody coming to visit is welcome to camp in my backyard. I'll throw in a 6-pack of Steeler, a few bearclaws and you're welcome to take my snowmobile for a spin. I may even have some ROCK tickets. ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:37 pm

wrveres wrote:I don't like the fact that a great many of you speak so poorly of the US, and actually have an annual Anti-US political candidate that you vote into office becuase of that stance.

Canadians vote every year? How weird.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DCNats » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 am

looptid wrote:so Major League Baseball could go threaten a less intelligent city like Washington D.C., viewed as more willing to subsidize private business.

Easy now. Though the DC municipal government is inept, Major League Baseball's monopoly status allows them to move pretty much wherever they damn well please. I'm impressed by how much of a fight the common council has put up while keeping the team in the city. There are far more egregious cases of corporate welfare elsewhere.

In any case, not just for the sake of diplomacy, but an American complaining about Canada seems absurd to me. They are the perfect neighbor: quiet, respectful, and clean. Us on the other hand....(please don't take reactionary offense to this, it's not meant to be political)

I always liked Toronto, (great people) but thought it had a weak nightlife for a city of that size. Montreal on the other hand is always a good time...too bad about the 'spos, but I was happy to take them off your hands.
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:45 am

Apollo wrote:I've been to Toronto several times and think it's a fantastic city. One of my favorite that I've ever visited. I went to a Jays game and thoroughly enjoyed myself, and all the "natives" were very pleasant to me. :)

Also, that "Okay, Blue Jays!" song that you play is hilarious.

"Is it a flyball?
Or is it a seagull?
Comin in
From the lake
Just to catch a game?

It's the last innin
Our team is winnin..."

They never actually play that part of the song anymore. :,-( I remember learning all the words to that song when I was in grade school (Grade 4 or so), but I don't think they've actually played the full song at a game since the Exhibition Stadium days. Something about Stieb throwing a smoker for a strike, and there ain't no doubt..

Even worse, the time they used to spend playing that song has now been basically replaced by the Jayz Crew. :-o :~(
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:50 am

wrveres wrote:I have never had any problems with Canada.
I don't like the fact that a great many of you speak so poorly of the US, and actually have an annual Anti-US political candidate that you vote into office becuase of that stance.

Its disguting quite honestly.
We have always been there for you, and we constantly get stabbed in the back by Canada.

I just never understand it when people say things like this. To me, this usually implies (loosely translated) that it is "Anti-American" to suggest that George W's policies are idiotic. But there are at least 60 million Americans who feel the same way!.. :-? Are they Anti-US too?.. :-B
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 am

bdrotoronto wrote:
wrveres wrote:I have never had any problems with Canada.
I don't like the fact that a great many of you speak so poorly of the US, and actually have an annual Anti-US political candidate that you vote into office becuase of that stance.

Its disguting quite honestly.
We have always been there for you, and we constantly get stabbed in the back by Canada.

I just never understand it when people say things like this. To me, this usually implies (loosely translated) that it is "Anti-American" to suggest that George W's policies are idiotic. But there are at least 60 million Americans who feel the same way!.. :-? Are they Anti-US too?.. :-B

half the country hated lincoln too
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Pokey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:02 am

this thread might need to be locked soon...
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nikku88 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:57 am

wrveres wrote:half the country hated lincoln too

And Home Alone made a lot of money.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:22 am

nikku88 wrote:
wrveres wrote:half the country hated lincoln too

And Home Alone made a lot of money.

they could call the Blue Jays ... the Memphis Red Birds.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby nikku88 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:36 am

wrveres wrote:
they could call the Blue Jays ... the Memphis Red Birds.

Better than keeping the name Grizzlies. :-t
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers