What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:20 pm

orange12 wrote:Do players who are american citizens but play for the Jays get taxed by Canada or the U.S.? It would suck if they get hit from both sides of the border.

i believe you are taxed where you play your games, but i'm not totally clear as to the specifics of road games. all home games are taxed per the tax rules of those respective domiciles.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby looptid » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:39 pm

With regards to the Expos, the fans in Montreal were constantly blackmailed with the threat of losing the team if a publically funded stadium wasn't constructed. Horrible marketing and public relations from the Expos front office should get a lot of the blame. Then, the constant shipping off of players developed in the Expos' farm system, and then as a ward of Major League baseball, the dismantling of that farm system and further weaking of the on the field product drove attendance into the ground, as it was intended to do so Major League Baseball could go threaten a less intelligent city like Washington D.C., viewed as more willing to subsidize private business.

Montreal had a long history of being a very good baseball town, going back to their time as a minor league affiliate of the Dodgers.

Only two things have ever been proven to consistantly draw fans to the ballpark: winning baseball and free stuff. That the Expos put out a terrible product and tried to blackmail the fans in Montreal, and then didn't get much turnout shouldn't be dumped completely on the fans shoulders. I believe that the location of Olympic Stadium is in a neighborhood that is a poor choice demographic wise as well. Old Jerry Park in Montreal was located closer to the middle class folks and drew very well.

End of rant.

I saw the Jays play the Yankees last summer in Toronto. Great town. I'm 24 going on 60, but I might actually prefer it to New York as far as the East goes. (As the comedian Emo Phillips said, "Every time I get the urge to travel to New York, I just pour urine in my humidifier.") Good restaurants all over Toronto. And for you folks in Toronto, what is the name of the donut chain started by a former hockey player that is open 24 hours a day? Nothing like slamming down a bunch of bear claws after the bars on King Street kick you out.

The Rogers Centre, even though a dome with turf, is pretty nice for baseball, as it was designed for baseball, so the seating angles are correct.

I have to say, though... the Jay Force is among the most horrifying things I have ever seen at a baseball game. And if a breakdancing troupe wasn't enough, they have an in game host that bathers on over the jumbotron and PA system between innings while the Jay Force is unleashing their unspeakable evil.

I don't think of the Jays as anything different, just a member of the AL East.

I know for a fact that signing free agent for a Canadian Team is impacted by the exchange rate. The Jays have an easier time the stronger the exchangre rate is. If All-Star McPitcher signs a deal with the Blue Jays for $10,000,000 Canadian a season, and the exchange rate is .8/1 at the time, his contract is for $8,000,000 American. If, in an extreme case, the Canadian economy suffered major inflation, and the exchange rate fell to .7/1 then McPitcher's contract is then only worth $7,000,000 a year and he is out a million bucks.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nene » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:45 pm

I think of when the Jays were good.
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BravesGuy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Ender wrote:I think of Toronto as just another team, never really crosses my mind that its from another country.

I agree....never really given it much thought before.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby zepfan » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:12 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:If you like high taxes and depending on where you go, people who disklike Americans because we don't speak French.

What in the world are you talking about?? By that logic we would also dislike 99% of tourists that come to our country. Thanks for the laugh, though! ;-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby slickterp » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Ender wrote:I think of Toronto as just another team, never really crosses my mind that its from another country.

true, but only b/c canada just barely qualifies as a country.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:08 pm

It's nice to see so much love for our country. Eh, guys? :-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:27 pm

zepfan wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:If you like high taxes and depending on where you go, people who disklike Americans because we don't speak French.

What in the world are you talking about?? By that logic we would also dislike 99% of tourists that come to our country. Thanks for the laugh, though! ;-D

He just likes to complain. Canada is a pretty sweet neigher, dont check our passports when we cross, great for beer runs from Buffalo. ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:31 pm

My favorite Canadian team is the Mooseheads.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:42 pm

I've always thought of moving to canada. Maybee BC so I ski whistler...The US is full of jerks
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers