What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby crapshooter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:37 am

Being from Texas I've never been to Canada, but I would love to go to Toronto and I have always liked the Blue Jays...couldn't say same for the Expos though.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:03 am

nothing against canada here. The one thing that bothers me is that they didnt support the expos. The team was on a great track when the strike hit. It cost them a shot at the series, and the fans never came back
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:15 am

I think of Toronto as just another team, never really crosses my mind that its from another country.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby theclefe » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:41 am

tlef316 wrote:nothing against canada here. The one thing that bothers me is that they didnt support the expos. The team was on a great track when the strike hit. It cost them a shot at the series, and the fans never came back

That upsets me too. It is the same thing with the Hockey and basketball teams. You guys just don't seem to want it enough.

When Canada becomes a part of the U.S., you all will have to be more accepting of sports franchises. Maybe if you play nice we will merge the NFL with the CFL instead of just disolving it. ;-)
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:47 am

i'm sure canada is nice and all, but i would avoid playing there if i could. progressively structured coercive wealth redistribution in general is a visceraly and intellectually repulsive concept to me and the less i have to submit to it, the better. i hear good things about toronto in general though and i'd like to visit someday.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:41 am

nikku88 wrote:I think it's interesting that the Expos moved to Washington so that the capital cities can still have their rivalry.

:-?
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:52 am

theclefe wrote:
tlef316 wrote:nothing against canada here. The one thing that bothers me is that they didnt support the expos. The team was on a great track when the strike hit. It cost them a shot at the series, and the fans never came back

That upsets me too. It is the same thing with the Hockey and basketball teams. You guys just don't seem to want it enough.

I dunno, I don't know of any city that would've supported a team after they had their best chance at a World Series stolen from them, the team dismantled repeatedly so that it turned into a farm team for the rest of the league, and playing out of a dark indoor stadium that was unquestionably the worst in the major leagues. Why would any fan invest their money or emotions into a situation like that?.. :-?

As for the basketball stuff, the Van. Grizzlies were perpetually horrible (60 losses every year), so hard for anybody to support them. The expansion rules when them and the Raptors came in were deliberately designed so that neither team could be competitive for the first several years. So the Raptors have had it tough too, but still have decent attendance considering how much they lose.

Re: the hockey, there is little doubt that Quebec City and Winnipeg could support a hockey team (attendance-wise) better than probably at least 1/3 of the cities currently in the league. Why they're in traditional hockey markets like Raleigh/Nashville/Florida instead you'd have to ask Gary Bettman and his team of visionaries.. :-t
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kelly Gruber » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:59 am

Great responses!

Ya, I was just wondering about this because of the signings of Troy Glaus and A.J. I remember seeing an interview with A.J. a while back and he said that he really loves the city so far; makes me wonder what kinda expectations he had :)

Seems like a bunch of you want to visit Toronto. Why not make a trip during the playoffs? ;-)
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby orange12 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Do players who are american citizens but play for the Jays get taxed by Canada or the U.S.? It would suck if they get hit from both sides of the border.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:04 pm

I like the Jays...I liked the Expos. I've been to the sky dome and montreal as well..I think of you guys as just another team...I love canada though ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers