What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams?

Postby Kelly Gruber » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:48 am

I was just wondering whether or not you guys would consider a team like the Jays just another team, or a team accross the border. And, does it factor much into player's decisions to play here? I know it is a different country and all, but Toronto is really underrated I think. Using whatever criteria, I would put it in the top 5 of cities in North America...

This is coming from a proud Torontonian, but what do you guys think of my city and my country for that matter (in terms of how it affects the professional sports)?
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What do Americans Think of Canadian Teams?

Postby xeifrank » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:56 am

Kelly Gruber wrote:I was just wondering whether or not you guys would consider a team like the Jays just another team, or a team accross the border. And, does it factor much into player's decisions to play here? I know it is a different country and all, but Toronto is really underrated I think. Using whatever criteria, I would put it in the top 5 of cities in North America...

This is coming from a proud Torontonian, but what do you guys think of my city and my country for that matter (in terms of how it affects the professional sports)?

I love Canada, and am glad the US govt decided not to ban them from the World Baseball Classic this spring. It really would've tarnished the event to not have a baseball powerhouse such as Canada in the competition. I am a little disappointed that Canadians are not better baseball fans. They are only able to support one MLB team. I would think players may be a little weary about playing in Canada due to the tax implications and lack of good Mexican restaurants. vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby giants8307 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:16 am

I love canada as well. My brother just moved to ottawa and loves the clean streets and friendly people. As for baseball, I'd like to see more teams up there. Montreal fans were really into the 'spos during the 94 season. I think the fan base cleared out because the ownership kept trading all its best players, not because they don't like baseball.

On a side note, I just saw University of british columbia play my school, cal poly, in an exhibition game. CP is in the top 25, but UBC more than held their own. 14-9 calpoly was the final, btw.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nikku88 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:58 am

Canada is cool and Toronto seems like a great city. I think it's interesting that the Expos moved to Washington so that the capital cities can still have their rivalry.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:07 am

nikku88 wrote:Canada is cool and Toronto seems like a great city. I think it's interesting that the Expos moved to Washington so that the capital cities can still have their rivalry.

Isn't Ottawa the capital of Canada?

Great country, see you at the Commonwealth games next month where we can both kick some Aussie arse.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:28 am

I love Canada, I've been to Montreal about 5 times, it seems like there are more strip clubs than gas stations. A great place to visit with your friends especially if you're from New England, a driveable distance.
Plus Vlad is a fantasy beast.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:32 am

If you like high taxes and depending on where you go, people who disklike Americans because we don't speak French.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby giants8307 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:32 am

TheYanks04 wrote:If you like high taxes and depending on where you go, people who disklike Americans because we don't speak French.

I don't think most candiens speak french, either. Quebec seems to be the red-headed step child of canada.[/i]
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Third Day » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:07 am

I have nothing but respect for any country that can put up with us (US). ;-7
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 277)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:56 am

I just think of the Blue Jays as another team, rather than a Canadian team. I've wanted to visit Toronto for a while now, one of these days... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers