Return to Baseball Leftovers

My SS rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby djacks » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:33 pm

KOSTAS wrote:
djacks wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:
fatnub2339 wrote:good list, though i'd put peralta with jeter and the 2nd tier

why don't we give Peralta one more year to prove himself before we put him on the same level as Jeter aye? :-) Besides, Peralta does not run at all and that does not help you in fantasy. probably what will keep Hardy from being an elite fantasy SS as well.

I guess that means Tejada is not an elite fantasy SS either... :-?

I'll take Peralta's numbers at SS anytime...steals or no steals.

no. I did not say that at all. Peralta is just not in the same league as Jeter or Tejada...not by a long shot. Give him 2-3 years and if he puts up 25+ HR, 100+ RBI and a .300 avg then we will talk about Peralta (sounds like you own him).

I agree...it is very early in his career to be putting him in the same category as Jeter and Tejada...but the lack of steals should not be an issue. But to say he is a "long shot" away from being in their class isn't exactly true either...

Player AB R H HR RBI BB SB BA OBP SLG
Tejada, Miguel SS BAL 654 89 199 26 98 40 5 0.3043 0.3494 0.5153
Peralta, Jhonny SS CLE 504 82 147 24 78 58 0 0.2917 0.36560.5198

Peralta had 7 less runs, 2 less HR's, 20 less rbi, and hit 13 points lower avg than Tejada...but that was in 150 less AB's! And oh by the way...take a look at who had the higher OBP, SLG, and therefore the higher OPS... B-)

Don't get me wrong...I love Tejada, but you can't deny that Peralta was pretty impressive last year. And yes, I do own him...traded Tejada and Rolen away and got D.Wright and Peralta in return... ;-D
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Halo Homers » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:07 pm

djacks wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:
djacks wrote:
KOSTAS wrote:
fatnub2339 wrote:good list, though i'd put peralta with jeter and the 2nd tier

why don't we give Peralta one more year to prove himself before we put him on the same level as Jeter aye? :-) Besides, Peralta does not run at all and that does not help you in fantasy. probably what will keep Hardy from being an elite fantasy SS as well.

I guess that means Tejada is not an elite fantasy SS either... :-?

I'll take Peralta's numbers at SS anytime...steals or no steals.

no. I did not say that at all. Peralta is just not in the same league as Jeter or Tejada...not by a long shot. Give him 2-3 years and if he puts up 25+ HR, 100+ RBI and a .300 avg then we will talk about Peralta (sounds like you own him).

I agree...it is very early in his career to be putting him in the same category as Jeter and Tejada...but the lack of steals should not be an issue. But to say he is a "long shot" away from being in their class isn't exactly true either...

Player AB R H HR RBI BB SB BA OBP SLG
Tejada, Miguel SS BAL 654 89 199 26 98 40 5 0.3043 0.3494 0.5153
Peralta, Jhonny SS CLE 504 82 147 24 78 58 0 0.2917 0.36560.5198

Peralta had 7 less runs, 2 less HR's, 20 less rbi, and hit 13 points lower avg than Tejada...but that was in 150 less AB's! And oh by the way...take a look at who had the higher OBP, SLG, and therefore the higher OPS... B-)

Don't get me wrong...I love Tejada, but you can't deny that Peralta was pretty impressive last year. And yes, I do own him...traded Tejada and Rolen away and got D.Wright and Peralta in return... ;-D

I am more in agreement with what DJACKS wrote, primarly because of the rate at which Peralta strikes out, once every four at bats. If that does not improve, he is looking at 150 Ks per year. He had a high average for a player who struck out at that rate. I think he may have been luckly to hit .292. Still, he think he's a solid tier 2 above Furcal, but below Jeter and Rollins.

If the K rate comes down, he could move to the top of tier 2, botton of tier 1.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:22 am

Being from philadelphia and a big J-Roll fan, i have to say there is no way im taking him over Reyes. Reyes's upside is so much higher in my opinion. J-Roll had an amazing run down the stretch with his hitting streak but was hitting .261 on september 6th. :-P Very Very worrysome. People in philly have long spoken about him not being a natural leadoff hitter and until he stole our hearts with the hitting streak everyone was down on him. It would not surprise me to see him hit .265..(although i do project him around .280). his handful of added hr's are certainly nothing worth drafting over reyes and his 60 sb. (also, reyes's runs should be extremely high with delgado being added to an already potent offense). And when did Jeter become as valuable as 60 sb? Jeter has long gone down my ranking list and i have him below Reyes and Rollins. and i also agree with moving renteria up a few slots. How could you not?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby mtarail » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:58 am

dcskater619 wrote:felipe lopez should be under peralta..crosby, hardy, and guillen all under renteria

Yep. Barmes and Nomar below Renteria too. (But I think Renteria will bounce back pretty nicely back in the NL).

And I like Miggy a little more than Young. Good list though. ;-D
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:17 pm

Peralta's numbers scream sophomore slump to me. A 35% Hit rate which he'll never sustain, a huge power spike above any level he ever displayed in the minors. His OPS jumped 100 points from his MLE's when he hit the majors, thats just not something I think he'll sustain. I think he's one young player you need to see do it again before you can trust that stat line.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby djacks » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:12 pm

Ender wrote:Peralta's numbers scream sophomore slump to me. A 35% Hit rate which he'll never sustain, a huge power spike above any level he ever displayed in the minors. His OPS jumped 100 points from his MLE's when he hit the majors, thats just not something I think he'll sustain. I think he's one young player you need to see do it again before you can trust that stat line.

Sophomore slumps are always possible...and I usually get burned by them... :-[ ...(I remember keeping Eric Hinske one year !+) )

Peralta's numbers did improve but he had a couple of years in the minors where he hit 15 HR's , and his hit rate in AAA for '04 was 33%...not that different from last year. His OBP actually decreased from AAA while his SLG increased. Biggest difference I see was the # of AB per HR, which dramatically increased.

Peralta is still very young and has the advantage of hitting in the middle of a pretty good lineup. I think he'll post similar numbers to last year...maybe slightly better considering the slow start he had last year.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers