Anybody here bet on baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anybody here bet on baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:02 am

Betting Baseball isn't as easy as you think man. It's mostly money-line betting and it's a tough racket if you're picking favorites. Speaking of betting... I'd be willing to bet that if I showed the guys on this forum a baseball line they would have no idea what it meant.

6 1/2 to 7 1/2 I'm right?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gags Sports » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:11 am

AT wrote:Betting Baseball isn't as easy as you think man. It's mostly money-line betting and it's a tough racket if you're picking favorites. Speaking of betting... I'd be willing to bet that if I showed the guys on this forum a baseball line they would have no idea what it meant.

I never said it was easy. What I said is that I believe it is easier than the other pro sports. No money-making venture is easy, last I checked. If you know of one, please let me know.

As for betting favorites, you have to be very careful because you can lose twice as much, twice as fast.

As for 6 1/2 to 7 1/2, I would hope that people who plan on betting know what this is. If they don't, they're in trouble.

In your example:

6 1/2 = +130
7 1/2 = -150
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby williesd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:13 am

This is a very good baseball betting message board...

http://www.madjacksports.com/forum/foru ... y.php?f=27
williesd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:21 am

Gags Sports wrote:
AT wrote:Betting Baseball isn't as easy as you think man. It's mostly money-line betting and it's a tough racket if you're picking favorites. Speaking of betting... I'd be willing to bet that if I showed the guys on this forum a baseball line they would have no idea what it meant.

I never said it was easy. What I said is that I believe it is easier than the other pro sports. No money-making venture is easy, last I checked. If you know of one, please let me know.

As for betting favorites, you have to be very careful because you can lose twice as much, twice as fast.

As for 6 1/2 to 7 1/2, I would hope that people who plan on betting know what this is. If they don't, they're in trouble.

In your example:

6 1/2 = +130
7 1/2 = -150

Yep, but you'd be surprised how many people had no idea what that meant. As far as baseball being easier than other pro sports, I'm going to have to disagree and say Football is easier. I'm not going to get into an ongoing discussion or debate over it because I haven't bet much myself. I'm only speaking from what I hear from my buddies who are all devout degenerate gamblers who claim football is by far the easiest and the NBA is by far the hardest.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CHE » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:26 pm

AT wrote:
Gags Sports wrote:

In your example:

6 1/2 = +130
7 1/2 = -150

Yep, but you'd be surprised how many people had no idea what that meant. As far as baseball being easier than other pro sports, I'm going to have to disagree and say Football is easier. I'm not going to get into an ongoing discussion or debate over it because I haven't bet much myself. I'm only speaking from what I hear from my buddies who are all devout degenerate gamblers who claim football is by far the easiest and the NBA is by far the hardest.

Football has the sharpest lines, no sport even compares.
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gags Sports » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:29 pm

CHE wrote:Football has the sharpest lines, no sport even compares.

They had better. Football is far and away the most wagered-on pro sport.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CHE » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:44 pm

Gags Sports wrote:
CHE wrote:Football has the sharpest lines, no sport even compares.

They had better. Football is far and away the most wagered-on pro sport.

And thats why they have the sharpest lines.

Any one in here invest in stocks??? That sh*t is more gambling then betting on sports :-°
ThA KinG : 55 points - tied for first place
CHE
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:56 pm

Gags Sports wrote:

In your example:

6 1/2 = +130
7 1/2 = -150

Why do you multiply by 20?

I though they looked like this:

(Jordan's Bulls in the playoffs)-1400/900
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Gags Sports » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:49 am

I could write a ton on this topic, but I'll try to be as brief as possible and answer your question.

Baseball lines can be expressed in two ways: Money Line (mostly used in Vegas or online gambling sites) Odds (mostly used by local bookies - or at least the ones I have dealt with).

Bottom line is that they are one and the same, just two different ways of expressing it.

The Money Line:

The money line is easier to understand for the newbie or average bettor.

Quite often you'll see a money line of: Toronto (+120) AT Cleveland (-140).

If you bet the favorite: Example...you would bet $140 on Cleveland. If you win, then you win a net of $100. If you lose, then you lose all $140 that you bet.

If you bet the underdog: Example... you would bet $100 on Toronto. If you win, then you win a net of $120. If you lose, then you lose the $100.

Note: You can bet whatever amounts you want. I chose the figures I did because I wanted to keep all the examples on a $100 scale.

Odds:

On the other hand, when dealing with a bookie, he will most of the time use odds as they are easier and faster to say over the phone than all those hundreds.

So when the bookie gives you the line on the game (using the same game example as above) he will say (this may certainly vary depending on your bookie):

"Cleveland 6 - 7" (This is much faster than saying: "Toronto, plus one-twenty and Cleveland, minus one-forty")

The format is: 1) Name of the team that is the favorite. 2) Underdog odds. 3) Favorite odds.

The entire system is based on the number 5. The underdog in the above example (Toronto) is at 6:5 odds. The favorite is at 7:5 odds.

Note for beginners: It is understood that the payout for the favorite is less than your actual bet and that the payout for the underdog is more than your actual bet. The only time this would not be the case is if the line was said to be an even money line, in which case normal juice applies.

Since the system is based on 5, you would multiply each of the odds (6 and 7) by 20 in order to make the system based on $100.

6 x 20 = $120 and 7 x 20 = $140 and that is how you get the money line.

Now if you get a pitching matchup that is really a mis-match like a Johan Santana at home (after 4 consecutive Santana wins) versus the Royals who have lost 8 straight games and are starting a rooke pitcher..then you could see a line as high as 13-15, or even higher.

Basing this on a $100 bet, this would mean:

You would wager $100 on the Royals to win a net of $260.

You would wager $300 on the Twins to win a net of only $100.

For the poster above, if you're wondering how the money line on the Bulls was (-1400 and +900), my answer is simply that whoever is making the lines really want to cover their butts. Usually you will see odds/money lines like this if you are betting on an entire 7-game series in the very early rounds of either the basketball or hockey playoffs. Vegas is basically trying to maximize the amount you have to pay to bet on the favorite while minimizing the amount you can win on the underdog, in case they do happen to win. These certainly are extraordinarily high odds and without knowing exactly which game you're referring to, I would have guessed that 1400/900 was the one of the series prices for the Bulls in their opening round series against whatever crappy 8th seed they were playing.

If you translate that money line to odds, it comes out to 9 - 14. Usually when the underdog is 9, the favorite is 11. But given how strong the Bulls were back then, Vegas decided to up the ante by making them ridiculous favorites of 9 - 14.

So essentially you had to put up $1,400 just to win a net of $100. YIKES!!! 8-o
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:09 pm

Check it out. Link
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager