Bigger Crybabies - Cubs fans or Red Sox fans? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bigger Crybabies - Cubs fans or Red Sox fans?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:25 pm

I hate these questions for this reason: Not all fans are the same. I've met many Yankee fans that are coarse, but many as well that are educated and passionate.

Many Sox fans, like myself, blame Stanley for the game six loss and understand how horribly the team has been run.

Now, while Duquette forced Clemens out, we mostly hate him because of his actions after leaving. The thing that stands out for me, as someone who idolized him growing up, was that he not once thanked Boston or Sox fans during his Toronto press conference, despite proddings from Boston reporters. And he said he went to Toronto to win it all; wrong, he went for the money.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:29 pm

Thanked them for what? Being thrown aside like last week's garbage?

But yes, I agree with you that these are unfair questions, since you'll find good and bad, intelligent and moronic fans of all teams.
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Leiter Fan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:35 pm

Yes, he should've thanked the fans!! They had nothing to do with letting him walk.

As an example, look at what Edgardo Alfonzo did after the Mets cut him loose. He could've gone and sulked and blamed the fans like Clemens did. But what did he do instead? He took out newpaper and taxi roof ads thanking the New York fans for their years of support while he was there. Now THAT'S class - a word that Roger Clemens still hasn't learned the meaning of!!

Oh, and sorry for the confusion on where your comment was directed, Trans. It was a natural mistake though, given the proximity of our comments on the board. :)
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:48 pm

I'm not saying Clemens is anyone's model of decorum or class. I just think he's been treated unfairly by the Boston fans, who should be thanking HIM for the years he did lead their team to the top (or close to it LOL) and for the many awesome pitching performances he turned in for that team. It's just odd how adulation can turn to hatred. Kind of like hating someone you were once in love with. But I never understood that either.

Class act by Alfonzo by the way. ;-D It's funny -- some guys know how to behave, others just don't give a damn. A reflection of society in general, I guess. We have a class act here in Mr. Barry Larkin, he cultivates his image and his relationship with the fans and does a lot of good in the community.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby rotisseriking » Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:29 pm

Dr.DooM wrote:I'd have to say Red Sox fans. It's literally become a tradition to mope about how their team is cursed. In addition, they've turned their misery towards their own players who become successful after they were dumped by the team. Talk about sour grapes.

I'd have to agree here on the whole. Sox fans complain and come up with excuses. The Cubs fans just think they are going to win it all every year, that's why it's so entertaining watching them sob each and every season around the All Star Break when they're 10 back, or in rare years like this one, see their early season lead fall away. I have won so much money from Cubs fans here in town, I would never say I couldn't stand them :-D
rotisseriking
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomar4prez » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:55 pm

First of all, I am a red sox fan and I am proud to call myself one. Do some of us complain and moan? Yes. But atleast we care about our team. The same with Cubs fans, and Yankee fans.

By far, the worst fans are those that root for the Yankees, but have NO affiliation with New York. People that are from the New York area, I respect as baseball fans, but these that are just bandwagoners I can't stand. I also can't stand fans that don't have anything better to do than complain about the complaining of other fans. :~(
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:13 pm

Red Sox fans are great, so are Cubs fans, Yankees fans, Orioles fans, whatever fans. That's if they qualify as true fans. Te ones that bother me are the bandwagon jumpers who just root for whatever team happens to be winning. Everyone knows these dweebs. They're the ones who wore Chicago Bulls jackets while Jordan was there, and then suddenly became died in the wool Laker lovers when Shaq and Kobe took center stage.

As for Red Sox fans moaning over 1986, it was the ultimate case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. In '78, they win easily if the managr hadn't stubbornly continued to play a crippled Butch Hobson at 3B throughout the second half of the season. (Bucky Bleeping Dent notwithstanding.) In 1975, they had to go without Jim Rice in the Series, and the Game Two interference non-call (Armsbrister/Fisk) was brutal. In '67, they overcame the Tony C tragedy to get to the Series but were done in by Bob Gibson, again in a seventh game. That's a tough history, but it's also part of the glory of Red Sox nation, if you can understand that.

By the way, no knowledgeable fans blames Buckner for the '86 meltdown. The game was already tied prior to that gaffe. Stanley was a more legitimate goat, and the ironic thing is that Mookie probably is safe at first regardless because the "Steamer" was going to be late covering first.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:15 pm

I agree that you will find both "good" and "bad" fans of any team. Personally, I'm a Ranger fan. The Ranger's pitching stinks and they've finished last the last 2 years, but I'm still a fan. I'd also like to point out that Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez made a very classy gesture before leaving Texas. Pudge took out a full page in every local newspaper thanking the fans for all of their support, and the Rangers for the opportunity. It was a very classy exit, in my opinion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Bigger Crybabies - Cubs fans or Red Sox fans?

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:25 am

I don't think saying fans are moronic or crybabbies is important. Yes you find "good" and "bad" fans rooting for all teams. But the name to be calling them is "passionate." I root like hell for the Cubbies when they are winning, I B&M when they are loosing. You will find fans who will throw bottle or cell phones when things don't go there way. But to group fans because of the actions of a few really shows where the morons are. All true fans are passionate about there team, and when they lose they are upset. Not just Cubs fans or Sox fans or Yank fans, but all fans.

To get back to the original post,

Anonymous wrote: Cubbie fans want to change the rules for the Wins category now.

NO we don't want to change the rules for a win. Its just that Prior, Clemens, Pedro, Halladay, Woods, or anybody who goes 8 and K's 16 should get more credit than a ND and a * in the box score. (not to bring up the whole * in the record book thing again!)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Danks81 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:59 pm

Yankees fans.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers