League Settings altering draft strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

League Settings altering draft strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gogogadget » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:18 pm

League has a minimun of ten innings a week, could I do this if I had 5 relievers or would I have to get a starter or two?
gogogadget
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:22 pm

5 relievers should be plenty to get 10 innings, I would think.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:36 pm

also, a non-trivial fact is that under this setup, DH's are much more valuable in the utility spot (if you have it) as they won't commit any errors.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gogogadget » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:03 pm

Matthias wrote:also, a non-trivial fact is that under this setup, DH's are much more valuable in the utility spot (if you have it) as they won't commit any errors.

ah! I hadn't thought of that...thanks a ton.
gogogadget
College Coach
College Coach

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:12 pm

I hadn't thought of that either...do you know when your pick is? Position players like Pujols are now even more valuable because he has a good glove and 1B don't typically get as many errors as other positions. Then for DH a guy like Ortiz is another guy who puts up Pujols numbers and since he's DH he won't get any errors.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gogogadget » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm

I pick 2nd, serpentine draft. Pujols may be there but probably not. Would Ortiz at #2 be a stretch?
gogogadget
College Coach
College Coach

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:04 pm

Yeah 2nd is probably a toss up for Pujols...it's either him or A-Rod that will go first. Ortiz does have more value in that he won't get errors but I'm not sure if it's enough to bump him up to 2nd overall. I think I'd take A-Rod over him, and A-Rod won't make too many errors in the field...he's more than solid over at 3rd.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Wozzyck » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:14 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:I hadn't thought of that either...do you know when your pick is? Position players like Pujols are now even more valuable because he has a good glove and 1B don't typically get as many errors as other positions. Then for DH a guy like Ortiz is another guy who puts up Pujols numbers and since he's DH he won't get any errors.

Pujols and 1B/OF, in general, don't really gain much, if any, value in a league that includes errors. (You definitely want to fill your utility spot with them, but doesn't that usually end up happening anyway?) And since you brought him up, Pujols has actually been perhaps the worst error-offender in that group the past two years.

The players that gain value are:

1) Those that play error-prone positions (like SS, 3B), but usually commit inordinately few errors (e.g. Jimmy Rollins, Derek Jeter, David Eckstein).

2) Players that are eligible at error-prone positions, but don't actually play there regularly (e.g. Aubrey Huff at 3B last year, usually any everyday 2B with SS-eligibility).

The error category is rarely won or lost on the leftside of the defensive spectrum (unless someone's foolish enough to, for instance, play Miguel Cabrera in the OF or Chad Tracy at 1B).
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Ouch. :-P !+)

:-b
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gogogadget » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:31 pm

Alright, here is a revision of my draft strategy. First 5 rounds all stud hitters. Round 6 I should be able to grab a stud closer. I will grab another closer in round 8ish but mainly until round 13 I will be filling in my positions. Then I grab 5 more relievers during the last part of the draft rounds 14-21. I will not draft a single starting pitcher. I will end up with 2 relief pitchers on the bench and 3 batters on the bench and I should have two more stud batters than anyone else because I did not use a top 5 on anything but all-around offensive talent.

Now, first of all how do you think this will work out? And secondly, what if my league makes a run for closers before I want to join in, say around the 3rd-4th rounds? What will I do then?
gogogadget
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers