League Settings altering draft strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

League Settings altering draft strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League Settings altering draft strategy

Postby gogogadget » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:04 pm

I am in a money league with friends and the commish rotates each year. It goes unspoken that the rules dont really need to be changed but the commish this year is one of those guys that just has to have things his way, a completely different way. Anyway, we will probably have 9 stat categories:

R, HR, RBI, SB, E, AVG - W, L, SV, K, ERA

As you can see there is no WHIP and the batting categories outnumber the pitching categories. It is a head-to-head scoring system with a little twist. Usually if a team were to win in 8 categories and lose 1 his win loss record for that week would be 8-1. But now, in that case it would only be 1-0. Just as if he had won 5 stat categories to the other's 4, it will still be 1-0.

I was thinking of drafting nothing but Batting. I would be punting the pitching categories but it would not matter as much as it usually would because if my hitting held up then I would still have the same record as if I won every stat category every week. Does this make sense?

I believe this may improve my chances but if you have an opposing view please let me know. Thanks for any input.
gogogadget
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:34 pm

I like your idea but I might take it a little farther. I would go all batting with as many closers as you could fit in your starting lineup. Since you are punting era, and other pitching categorys they dont even have to be top of the line closers just make sure you can win saves each week. That will give you a little cushion even if you do loose a hitting category.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MVPSizemore » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:19 am

Id say draft all hitting for the first 15 or so rounds. Then draft as many mid-tier closers as possible and you'll win 5/6 Hitting cats and then the Saves, Losses, and maybe ERA cats each week.
MVPSizemore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BraveNewWorld » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:36 pm

MVPSizemore wrote:Id say draft all hitting for the first 15 or so rounds. Then draft as many mid-tier closers as possible and you'll win 5/6 Hitting cats and then the Saves, Losses, and maybe ERA cats each week.

That's the ticket.
BraveNewWorld
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Nene » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:44 pm

go imput those stats into

http://www.baseballmonster.com
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Jbyrdo » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:52 pm

How many innings minimum is it? Draft your starting hitting lineup and a few bench players then get all closers, with the last few picks get some starters on good teams who wont get many losses and will eat up the innings requirements.
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slickterp » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:57 pm

i agree on drafting bats until your starting hitting lineup is full. then draft as many closers as you can, and a couple of decent starters o get you over the innings limit (if there is one). w/ 5 or 6 closers, you should be ablke to compete in K, win saves, and maybe win wins every so often, as well as hopefully win era.

w/ the hitter emphasis, you should be competing in every category every week.
slickterp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:01 pm

Why did the guy set it up this way? Unless other people have the same strategy, I don't see how you won't win this league fairly easily.

I don't think I'd really like a league where you don't even have to pay attention to the SP spot.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gogogadget » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:52 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Why did the guy set it up this way? Unless other people have the same strategy, I don't see how you won't win this league fairly easily.

I don't think I'd really like a league where you don't even have to pay attention to the SP spot.

exactly. I am playing this year because I play every year with them. He wanted it to be this way because he liked fantasy football scoring better although he doesnt understand why the baseball scoring system is how it is. The others won't figure it out unless they pick it up from me, but they will have already completed the draft by the time they get it. This league is with my friends and they aren't fantasy sports experts, in fact, I am the one who introduced them to it thinking I could get them to put up 20 bucks every season...and I did. Thanks for the help guys.
gogogadget
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:04 pm

closers are good, but another decent pitching strategy is to just start one really good reliever each week. if you don't have a min IP, just one no-hit innign will get you both ERA and Ls.

Friend of mine did something similar to this and got to the finals in our league two years ago. I think we raised the min IP a bit after that. :-b
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers