Albert Belle 1st Round? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Albert Belle 1st Round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby silverZ » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:38 pm

Rob Alomar was the man back in the early 90's
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Our league has been around since '91 and IIRC there was about a 5 year strech where Belle was pretty consistently a top 5 guy. But then again the top 10 in our league during the mid 90s was almost exactly the same every year. Griffey, Bonds, Belle, Piazza, Pedro, RJ, McGwire, and F.Thomas in some order with a couple oddballs thrown in the mix.

Belle is one of the toughest cases for the HoF. He put up great numbers and was one of the top 3 or 4 players in the league during the 90s. But he didn't reach any of the major career milestones, never won an MVP award, only led the league in the "major" categories a couple times, and wasn't exactly the most media friendly person around. I was glad to see him get enough votes to stay on the ballot for next season (albeit barely enough) because he certainly deserves some consideration and is without a doubt a better candidate than some of the other non-lock players who will be on the ballot against him (Garvey, Rice, Parker, Concepcion, Mattingly).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Re: Albert Belle 1st Round?

Postby sLim » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:06 pm

Belle4Hall88 wrote:thats awesome to see another Belle fan around here. He has got to be the most underated player ever. Anyway man yes he should be in the hall. Guys like McGwire, Sosa, Alomar, Puckett, Pudge, Piazza, Griffey, Thomas ect. ect. are all going to get in or are already in and no offense to those guys but I think Belle was better than all of them.

griffey > belle
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:15 pm

I picked him 1st in my all criminal league
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Y`s Guy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:30 pm

Spring, 1994...I led off the auction draft by saying...

"Albert Belle...fifty bucks!"

No one bid. I got him and rode his butt to the league that year. Still don't know how I put together the rest of my team after that initial blast. I think I sat out the next 30 selections.

;-7

He should be in the HOF
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby statsman88 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Tavish wrote:Our league has been around since '91 and IIRC there was about a 5 year strech where Belle was pretty consistently a top 5 guy. But then again the top 10 in our league during the mid 90s was almost exactly the same every year. Griffey, Bonds, Belle, Piazza, Pedro, RJ, McGwire, and F.Thomas in some order with a couple oddballs thrown in the mix.

Belle is one of the toughest cases for the HoF. He put up great numbers and was one of the top 3 or 4 players in the league during the 90s. But he didn't reach any of the major career milestones, never won an MVP award, only led the league in the "major" categories a couple times, and wasn't exactly the most media friendly person around. I was glad to see him get enough votes to stay on the ballot for next season (albeit barely enough) because he certainly deserves some consideration and is without a doubt a better candidate than some of the other non-lock players who will be on the ballot against him (Garvey, Rice, Parker, Concepcion, Mattingly).

The only reason he didn't win an MVP in 95' was because people d him, he had better numbers than everyone in baseball.
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:12 pm

statsman88 wrote:The only reason he didn't win an MVP in 95' was because people d him, he had better numbers than everyone in baseball.

I agree he should have won it in 95 and probably should have won in 1998. Should of winning the award isn't going to help him much with the short-sighted HoF voters though.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:27 pm

Tavish wrote:
statsman88 wrote:The only reason he didn't win an MVP in 95' was because people d him, he had better numbers than everyone in baseball.

I agree he should have won it in 95 and probably should have won in 1998. Should of winning the award isn't going to help him much with the short-sighted HoF voters though.

Add 96 and maybe 93 & 94 as well. He should of been a three time MVP with no problem and maybe a 5x MVP. He has the numbers where he could of been the MVP every year from 93-96. Thats just crazy.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 pm

Belle4Hall88 wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Add 96 and maybe 93 & 94 as well. He should of been a three time MVP with no problem and maybe a 5x MVP. He has the numbers where he could of been the MVP every year from 93-96. Thats just crazy.

No way he deserved the MVP in 93, 94 or 96. He was still a top tier player in the league, but not really close to being the best player in those years. The closest of the three was 94 when he was better than everyone not named Frank Thomas.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Re: Albert Belle 1st Round?

Postby dcskater619 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:44 am

sLim wrote:
Belle4Hall88 wrote:thats awesome to see another Belle fan around here. He has got to be the most underated player ever. Anyway man yes he should be in the hall. Guys like McGwire, Sosa, Alomar, Puckett, Pudge, Piazza, Griffey, Thomas ect. ect. are all going to get in or are already in and no offense to those guys but I think Belle was better than all of them.

griffey > belle

lol thank u! amen to that
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers