Jason Kubel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Kubel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Kubel

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:47 pm

What do you guys think of Kubel? Will he get a chance to play? Will he be as good as they said he was before he got hurt? It seems like he's being overlooked as a solid prospect, but I think he has a lot of potential.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:49 pm

I haven't heard much about him. I do know that I have a bad taste in mouth from past heavily touted Minnesota propects like Michael Cuddyer and Michael Restovich. :-P
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Pochucker » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:00 pm

According to article on RotoAuthority last week from ST. Paul Times -- Gardenhire said he must beat out Cuddyer for starting job or he goes to minors.
Shouldnt be too hard but we will have to follow developements in spring training.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:13 pm

I'm asking because I picked up Kubel in a prospect draft I did and I'm holding out some hope... according to the Twins website, Kubel will likely start the year in AAA Rochester, but could win a spot on the roster in Spring Training... so I guess it depends. Seems that MIN fans are eager to see him play after his promising stint in the big leagues in 2004, so if anything he could provide some mid season offense.

I hear ya though about Cuddyer and Restovich, but Kubel was the biggest news in propect land two years ago. It would be nice to see him beat out Cuddyer for the starting job in RF, but his year off will probably make that difficult.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby reynolds80 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Coppermine wrote:I'm asking because I picked up Kubel in a prospect draft I did and I'm holding out some hope... according to the Twins website, Kubel will likely start the year in AAA Rochester, but could win a spot on the roster in Spring Training... so I guess it depends. Seems that MIN fans are eager to see him play after his promising stint in the big leagues in 2004, so if anything he could provide some mid season offense.

I hear ya though about Cuddyer and Restovich, but Kubel was the biggest news in propect land two years ago. It would be nice to see him beat out Cuddyer for the starting job in RF, but his year off will probably make that difficult.

Cuddyer's not finished yet. I'm predicting a bounce back year from him.
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:07 pm

ironman wrote:I haven't heard much about him. I do know that I have a bad taste in mouth from past heavily touted Minnesota propects like Michael Cuddyer and Michael Restovich. :-P

You and me both. Kubel is one you keep an eye on during ST. If he shows that he is playing regularly, then he is someone to take a flier on. The kid was regarded as one of the best pure hitting prospects in all of baseball, so major knee surgery or not, he is someone to keep an eye on.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:15 pm

Speaking of Minnesota, who is their RF? Ford or White?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:33 pm

White is slated to be the DH if that helps.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Kubel's worth a least a flyer man. Stash him away and see what happens. If anything there'll always be prospects to dump and claim anyway.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby looptid » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:03 pm

reynolds80 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:I'm asking because I picked up Kubel in a prospect draft I did and I'm holding out some hope... according to the Twins website, Kubel will likely start the year in AAA Rochester, but could win a spot on the roster in Spring Training... so I guess it depends. Seems that MIN fans are eager to see him play after his promising stint in the big leagues in 2004, so if anything he could provide some mid season offense.

Cuddyer's not finished yet. I'm predicting a bounce back year from him.

Bounce back?

RC/27
2002 - 4.60
2003 - 4.50
2004 - 5.08
2005 - 4.63

That's a pretty straight curve.

As far as Kubel, he had a monster 2004 and shot from Double-A to the Majors. If he's healthy he'll be the Twins RF, but assuming he is ready to go come opening day is a gamble right now. He'll be up eventually, but I haven't heard any definate timetable given yet.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers