How Do You Stock Your Bench?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Do You Stock Your Bench?

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:32 pm

12 team league H2H
11 batters: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 2OF, 1CF, 3UTIL
8 pitchers: 4SP, 2RP, 2P
5 bench spots

I normally try to have 2 hitters which both have multi position but that has been in larger leagues. The players may not be the best but they can be plugged into multi positions.

Than have 3 SP's

How do you normally stock your bench?
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:39 pm

I try to get depth at positions that I should not be able to fill off the WW if I need someone (also typically someone who I consider a sleeper)... though with all those Utilities I would try to cover backups for most positions between Utility and Bench spots... if a SP is out for a week you can typically find a decent one or 2 week option on the WW, but I don't see the harm in carrying one or 2 of them on the bench (but also only if you think they have a chance to break out)...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Re: How Do You Stock Your Bench?

Postby klvrdude » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Eagle Baseball wrote:12 team league H2H
11 batters: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 2OF, 1CF, 3UTIL
8 pitchers: 4SP, 2RP, 2P
5 bench spots

I normally try to have 2 hitters which both have multi position but that has been in larger leagues. The players may not be the best but they can be plugged into multi positions.

Than have 3 SP's

How do you normally stock your bench?

To begin the season I think you just need the best players available (and your sleepers/longshots) as injuries aren't necessarily your biggest concern. I think having the 3 Util spots will aid you in being able to double up on certain positions.

For your league I may be a little more pitching heavy since its a H2H league with 4SP.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:09 pm

In an HTH league, you want to have a few extra pitchers on your bench so that you can play the matchup game. That will typically limit your bench position players, but you can get around that by having guys that qualify at multiple positions.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:13 pm

I like to just draft bench guys who I feel have some upside. If they get off to a bad start and someone else from the WW breakouts I pick them up (happens every single year).

I don't worry about it in the draft because someone on the WW will show up and I'll just get them. Usually teams are hesitant to drop their players too early in the season for someone on the WW so I normally have no problems getting the guys I want if I have a bad waiver spot.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:34 pm

I'm in a 12 team H2H league where we start:

1-C
1-1B
1-2B
1-SS
1-3B
3-OF
1-U/DH
7-P

I usually don't try to have more than one or two extra bats. I load up on SP's and try to maximize the number of two starts I can get.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:26 pm

have sleepers on your bench, or guys who aren't closers who might turn into them possibly. Also, if there's a SP that is really good in certain situations (a SP who's a Padres, Dodger, maybe an A), I'll keep them on the bench and start them when they're at home.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby John Bonzo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:01 pm

I always try to use a couple bench spots for platoon guys. Last year i used Matt Holliday (at home) and Trot Nixon (verses righties) for my final util spot and it worked out well.

As previously mentioned, high risk, high reward sleepers are great as well.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J_Cuz » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:05 pm

Plunge the depths of teams rosters for the next Street, Lidge or K-Rod. Most times these pitchers are learning how to pitch in the bigs WITHOUT assuming closing duties.

Yet, time moves fast in MLB and it's more likely than not that a Dotel or Percival-type will get hurt or play themselves out of a closing role. When it happens I find it best to ALREADY have their replacement on my bench, than worry about rushing to a computer to compete with rival owners on the ww.

You can NEVER have too many closers and in the event that the potential replacement is not going to get the opportunity to close you can just replace him via the wire like you would probably have done at some point with one of those 3 bench-warming starters.

:-°
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers