Amongst 2b, where do you have Lowell ranked? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Amongst 2b, where do you have Lowell ranked?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:49 pm

I don't have big expectations for him either; I have him ranked as my 20th overall 3B.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Amongst 2b, where do you have Lowell ranked?

Postby dannahann » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:35 pm

TB13 wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:20/80 is possible, but if lowell is basically just going .270, 20hr, 80rbi, 70r, 3sb thats not going to make him a top ten 2b. he would need get more runs or get back to his days of 25+ homers. not a bad sleeper at 2b, but if he isnt going to steal bases he needs to hit for more power to break into the top 10.

Not enough to be in the top-10? How so? Figure that Iguchi/Polanco/Loretta will be somewhere in that vicinity, why would Lowell not be as valuable as them?

It's safe to say there are likely 7 2B projected to outearn Lowell by a fair margin, ( in no order Utley, Figgins, Soriano, Giles, Kent, Cantu, Roberts). Lowell sits somewhere in a big closely ranked group beneath them that also includes Weeks, Iguchi, Cano, Loretta, Polanco, Castillo, Biggio, Ellis, Belliard, and Freel. Is Lowell (at 270 20 80) the 3rd best of this group? Does it even matter? There will be several interchangable 2B if you miss the top guys. Also you'd like to get some SB from that position. Personally it'd be hard to pass on the 25-25 potential of Weeks or the near certain 15-15 of Iguchi to take mike Lowell, and I'm one who believes Lowell will improve this season. His LF linedrive swing is tailored to that park. He won't have to try and pull ball off the monster, he's pulled everything his whole career.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby MrT » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:36 pm

I doubt that he will play even 1/2 an inning at 2b this year. Loretta will play there exclusively
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Area51's » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:46 pm

Rotoworld only has him at 9 games at 2b last year...not enough for most leagues, but will do it for some. Anybody have anything else that says he might gain 2b elibitility at BOS?
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Aces Wild » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:49 pm

I dont have high expectations of Lowell. Around 65/15/75/.260

i think there are much better options
Aces Wild
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 pm

Aces Wild wrote:I dont have high expectations of Lowell. Around 65/15/75/.260

Not sure about that. Lowell has been a pretty consistent player for a long time and 2005 came out of nowhere.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/613 ... P0fTiFCLcF

I think he is primed for a comback season and a very good sleeper going into 06.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 pm

I have him as the 16th 2B, behind Ellis.
I think he deserves a bench spot, as he may bounce back, but I don't trust him enough to start him at 2B.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby rainman23 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:12 pm

He sounds like a decent sleeper to me, provided he actually gets a few At Bat's. Is he projected as a starter in that lineup? He obviously won't DH. And I would have thought Loretta and Youkilis would have the inside track at 2nd and 3rd. Where do people expect his AB's to come from?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby liv4socr20 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:16 pm

can I go out on a limb and say that Lowell can hit 30 hr's this year. I'm not expecting it but if you take the player he was for 3 or 4 years before last year and mix him with a VERY HITTER FRIENDLY FENWAY PARK I wouldnt say that its unreasonable to think that he could put up 30. Still even if he hit 30/90 with his lack of speed avg and runs as a middle infielder his value is lower
Only 2 things are certain in life...... death and Albert Pujols
liv4socr20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:34 pm

Yoda wrote:
Aces Wild wrote:I dont have high expectations of Lowell. Around 65/15/75/.260

Not sure about that. Lowell has been a pretty consistent player for a long time and 2005 came out of nowhere.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/613 ... P0fTiFCLcF

I think he is primed for a comback season and a very good sleeper going into 06.

So was Brett Boone and Sosa before roids were tested seriously. A drop off like that is either injury related, age related or roid related. Since he is not old and since there were no injuries openly reported, one has to assume he was a juicer. This was not some rokkie having a sophmore slump.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers