Amongst 2b, where do you have Lowell ranked? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Amongst 2b, where do you have Lowell ranked?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Amongst 2b, where do you have Lowell ranked?

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:30 am

Is there any reason that he cannot put up numbers similar to Giles? Albeit, with less SB's & lower average, but more HR's & RBI's.
Is a 20 HR/80 RBI too much to ask for from him?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby masarume » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:36 am

I dunno if he'll play 2B, or 3B this year, but he's eligible in both in most leauges.

He slumped off last seasonm but I see no reasons why he can't hit .275 with 20hr and 80 rbi. Though I have to say that I wun expect more than 5 SB from him.

Either that or he tanks horribly. He's really a hit or miss player this year.
masarume

Hockey Mod
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby nsulham » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:04 am

I think he'll have a nice season for the Sox. He was dissapointed in his performance last season so the day after the season ended he drove a couple hundred miles to meet with his old hitting coach and get his swing back. Shows he's dedicated to proving himself again.

One scout said he and the Monster are a great fit and he should rake in the doubles. Obviously it's all talk as of now but I'd be shocked if he didn't have at least a small chip on his shoulder to prove to everyone that he's not finished yet.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 am

It maks no difference where he plays. The fact of the matter is that he may be a very good sleeper at 2nd. I know he slumped off and he would not even be on my radar, were it not for the fact that he qualifes at 2nd.
If he can hit 20 HR's & knocke in 80, how much value would you place on him, when taken into context of all 2nd basemen?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Amongst 2b, where do you have Lowell ranked?

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:39 am

TB13 wrote:Is there any reason that he cannot put up numbers similar to Giles? Albeit, with less SB's & lower average, but more HR's & RBI's.
Is a 20 HR/80 RBI too much to ask for from him?

giles is probably the leadoff hitter so lowell will be way behind in runs. no way does he come close to matching giles unless giles gets injured. 20/80 is possible, but if lowell is basically just going .270, 20hr, 80rbi, 70r, 3sb thats not going to make him a top ten 2b. he would need get more runs or get back to his days of 25+ homers. not a bad sleeper at 2b, but if he isnt going to steal bases he needs to hit for more power to break into the top 10.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:02 am

I am also targeting Lowell as my 2B. He just didn't look right at the plate and I really can't imagine he is washed up that quickly that soon. While I wouldn't bet on him returning to his previous level, 20 HR is a no brainer if he gets enough ABs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:37 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:20/80 is possible, but if lowell is basically just going .270, 20hr, 80rbi, 70r, 3sb thats not going to make him a top ten 2b. he would need get more runs or get back to his days of 25+ homers. not a bad sleeper at 2b, but if he isnt going to steal bases he needs to hit for more power to break into the top 10.

Not enough to be in the top-10? How so? Figure that Iguchi/Polanco/Loretta will be somewhere in that vicinity, why would Lowell not be as valuable as them?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:05 pm

TB13 wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:20/80 is possible, but if lowell is basically just going .270, 20hr, 80rbi, 70r, 3sb thats not going to make him a top ten 2b. he would need get more runs or get back to his days of 25+ homers. not a bad sleeper at 2b, but if he isnt going to steal bases he needs to hit for more power to break into the top 10.

Not enough to be in the top-10? How so? Figure that Iguchi/Polanco/Loretta will be somewhere in that vicinity, why would Lowell not be as valuable as them?

he'd be close. there isnt much difference between the #9-14 or so. lowell would fit in there somewhere. but my rankings would have him outside of the top 10 unless he was batting in a better lineup spot (getting more rbi or runs) or hitting for more power. and i consider him no lock to go for 20/80 either, but i feel pretty good about my iguchi/polanco/cano/biggio/freel projections.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:24 pm

Depending where Lowell hits, I think he can definitely get more than 80 RBIs. But I agree with JD, and would place Lowell as about the 10th best 2B.

That being said, he should be of pretty good value. Lowell seems to go really late in drafts, and if you can grab him in the last 3-4 rounds, he'd be a pretty good deal.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ironman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:45 pm

I honestly don't see him bouncing back. Mike Lowell is about as great of a sleeper this year as Bret Boone was last year.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers