The wooden toothpick bridge... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The wooden toothpick bridge...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheRock » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:30 am

knapplc wrote:You need to build this.

Luckily, he gives you instructions. ;-D

Oh my gosh this guy is such a nerd. Had the whole thing mapped out on graph paper before he built it. Well, that's how I did it in high school physics...
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:00 am

TheRock wrote:

Oh my gosh this guy is such a nerd. Had the whole thing mapped out on graph paper before he built it. Well, that's how I did it in high school physics...

I would build a decent one using a different design, it would probably hold it for like 3 seconds and I'd take my C before I took the time and effort to build that thing.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:12 pm

I woulda just pointed the bricks straight up in the air or something
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Arlo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:28 pm

What other materials are you allowed to use? Glue? Paper clips? Just toothpicks?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:36 pm

i made bridges one year for a science fair. i used toothpicks and gum drops. the gum drops provide tons of support. i like the couple of tooth picks for the more suppport. need less to say my bridges got an F because i didn't even do the project i just made all of my research up
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby DaQ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Arlo wrote:What other materials are you allowed to use? Glue? Paper clips? Just toothpicks?

Sorry I couldn't respond to this thread sooner. I'll get into reading all your advice so far after this post.

I did catch what Arlo said. I can use...toothpicks and glue.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:16 pm

Phatferd wrote:
TheRock wrote:

I would build a decent one using a different design, it would probably hold it for like 3 seconds and I'd take my C before I took the time and effort to build that thing.

Ah - this is the best part - as long as I complete the bridge, I get a 100. ;-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Arlo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm

DaQ wrote:
Arlo wrote:What other materials are you allowed to use? Glue? Paper clips? Just toothpicks?

Sorry I couldn't respond to this thread sooner. I'll get into reading all your advice so far after this post.

I did catch what Arlo said. I can use...toothpicks and glue.

Ok, in that case the answer is...

Make a 5 x 30 x ? (whatever your width specification is) mold.
Fill it with glue (use good glue).
Mix in a couple toothpicks for show.
Let the glue harden into a solid block overnight.
Add as much more glue on top of the base as you can reasonably get away with... :-D

OK, so you won't have the lightest bridge, but you'll definitely be able to support that brick.

This isn't only a great way of building a bridge, but also of finding out whether your lab teacher truly is cool. If he is, you get a big old A, and will probably be his favorite student for the rest of the year. If not, you'll probably go home with an F... :-D

(Needless to say, I'd give you an A. ;-) )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DaQ » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:09 pm

Arlo wrote:
(Needless to say, I'd give you an A. ;-) )

Thanks Arlo ;-)

The other sweet thing about my lab teacher...no HW. Ever (he said so). :-D

We did work on the sketeches today and will be doing so next week too (we have lab twice a week). The teacher that has done this with his class for years (the main physics teacher) gave us some valuable advice. He said that the top of hte bridge should only be 5cm above the platform (the thing we rest the bridge on).

We can still have the base 5cm above, but when I heard the other teacher's advice, I changed my plan. The arch on both the bottom and the top of my bridge will be on a 5 degree angle, and with a 30cm long bridge, an arch = 1 cm high. The diagonal-toothpicks (the ones that will be in the middle) will thus be 3 cm long. For hte two outside diagonal toothpicks, I want them leaning torwards the middle of the bridge, as opposed to leaning to the outside. Each diagonal, of course, will be on a 45 degree angle. Finally, my bridge will be sitting on the platform as opposed to hanging on it (there would be toothpicks shooting horizontally from the top to hold on to the platform if I did it this way.

My teacher likes the effort I'm putting into this, but said I may be too concerned about the angles. :-?

What do you think?

P.S. The teacher showed us one bridge that worked, and I measured the bridge's angle and discovered it was 5 degrees. That's why I made mine 5 degrees as well (we never saw it hold the brick, but the teacher said it did).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:46 pm

Just BUMPing to see if anyone has an opinion on this (that knows things like this).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk