Top Players that you just don't like - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Players that you just don't like

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pepperoncino » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:18 pm

i would never draft A-Rod. I don't care if he's still available with the 8th pick. I stay away from all Yankees for that matter. i've also won my big money league the last two years.

i'm simply not going root for any Yankees. period.

if it's your fantasy team, why have guys on it that you extremely dislike? to me that's not a very good "fantasy." if you know what you're doing you'll have a good, balanced team and a chance to win, regardless.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:32 pm

pepperoncino wrote:i would never draft A-Rod. I don't care if he's still available with the 8th pick. I stay away from all Yankees for that matter. i've also won my big money league the last two years.

i'm simply not going root for any Yankees. period.

if it's your fantasy team, why have guys on it that you extremely dislike? to me that's not a very good "fantasy." if you know what you're doing you'll have a good, balanced team and a chance to win, regardless.

That's a terrible strategy. If anyone ignored Arod in the 2nd round, that's a terrible strategy. I guess people play fantasy for different reasons. I have only one goal, to win. Some of these strategies would never fly in a ultra competive league.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby pepperoncino » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:37 pm

my goal is to win, and have fun doing it. and i haven't ever had a problem doing both. i'm a fan of the game first and foremost, and it's a long season, so i'm going to enjoy my fantasy team. i simply can't stand a-rod, so he won't be on my team. this isn't about "strategy." I spend a lot of time thinking about strategy.

that being said, a-rod would never last until the 8th pick - i was exaggerating my point.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:13 pm

kidnemisis wrote:Andruw Jones- I had him last year, and sure those homer surges were great, but his inconsistency is just annoying. I know people will say its roto, who cares, but if given two nearly identical statlines i'll take the guy who is consistent and doesn't make me tear my hair out with a terrible month.

As for the A-Rod argument, any real Yankee fan knows that he is a great talent. The performing in the clutch thing is the stupidest thing in sports because a 10 year veteran could be 0 for his playoff career and be labeled "unclutch" then have 2 good years and suddenly that label disappears. The sports world just loves to label people. If anything A-Rod's problem is that he thinks things over too much and just wants to say the perfect thing. But u know what? We deride players who act like a-holes, but we also get on guys who try to please the world. Bottom line? A-Rod is a once in a lifetime talent and I enjoy watching his effortless home runs and constant hustling.

And all for a man who has won NADA.

Disappeared in the second half of the ALCS in 2004.
Disappeared last year in the playoffs.
Both leading to his team's elimination (the 2004 ALCS I will NEVER forgive him for either).

25.2 M dollars a year for a guy that basically is soft and a wuss that has never won even a pennant let alone a ring for any MLB team. OOH.....He beat up on the Twins in the 2004 ALDS. I am so impressed by that clutchness.

Arod may have had plenty of company stinking up the joint in the playoffs the past couple of years. The difference is he has NEVER produced when it mattered most. NEVER. And then he talks to his PR guy to babble drivel after he does another choke-act to further infuriate the loony fans like myself.

You do realize this guy is making about 2X what Sheffield is making? And producing absolute squat when the season is on the line. Beating up on Travis Harper in May does not get him a lot of respect in my book.

The NY Media is on him for a reason. This is the same set of people mind you that more or less cut Giambi a break all things considered. Was it the Post or the News that had the A-Fraud headline on the back page after last season? You think this is all delusional hysteria? Well one man's delusion is another man's reality.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:27 pm

NY media is well known for being a bunch of fools when it comes to this type of thing, using them as support for your argument just makes it seem less plausible.

So if Arod comes out and has a big game in the playoffs this year suddenly he's clutch I guess? What you have here is nothing but small sample size at work, get over it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:08 pm

Yanks04, do you fish? Cause the Times and Post would make good fish wrap.

Surely you haven't forgotton the bashing Arod did to your NYY in 2000?

9-22, 2hrs, 5rbis
.409 BA .480 oba .773 slugging%

New Yorkers either have bad memories, or selective memories.

2004 ALCS
8-31 2hrs 5 rbis

Maybe you could submit a new story for them? The curse of Jeters contract.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:09 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:But the difference between Peyton or A-Rod and great players is that great players win games they arent supposed to win. Dont get me wrong, in terms of skills and statistics, Peyton and A-Rod are superheroes. It just so happens their krytonite is the playoffs.

Ted Williams= great, whether or not he won squat. I can see that Peyton or Arod are great too, barring catastrophic injuries at this point in their careeers.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TB13 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:11 pm

HOOTIE wrote:That's a terrible strategy. If anyone ignored Arod in the 2nd round, that's a terrible strategy. I guess people play fantasy for different reasons. I have only one goal, to win. Some of these strategies would never fly in a ultra competive league.

Agreed on all counts. Ignoring a player of ARod's caliber after the first 5 picks borders on the insane.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:12 pm

For me this year, it is Derrick Lee. I think he is good, but 1b is deep and DLee is going to be overhyped, give me Helton three rounds later.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:16 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Yanks04, do you fish? Cause the Times and Post would make good fish wrap.

Surely you haven't forgotton the bashing Arod did to your NYY in 2000?

9-22, 2hrs, 5rbis
.409 BA .480 oba .773 slugging%

New Yorkers either have bad memories, or selective memories.

2004 ALCS
8-31 2hrs 5 rbis

Maybe you could submit a new story for them? The curse of Jeters contract.

Seems to me Ms lost the 2000 ALCS 4 games to 2. Arod loses again. Ditto for the ALCS in 2004...Arod doing the big choke games 5-7. But he did put on a nice hand slap.

What he did for the Ms I frankly could care less about in case you had not figured that out already. This is NY not Seattle.

What he did Games 5-7 in the 2004 ALCS I will never let him and his 25.2M a year salary and his PR man forget. Same for the 2005 playoffs. If you take the bucks and come to the Big City, you better be able to walk the walk at least sometimes...that or you better be able to take the heat. Gaudy regular season numbers and playoff failures in elimination series do not make you loved in my book. They make you the goat. Just ask Dave "Mr. May" Winfield and his 1-22 1981 WS performance.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers