Top Players that you just don't like - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Players that you just don't like

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:21 am

I've been a big hater of Andruw Jones, Pedro and Pierre for years. I don't know why either.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby legoshoe » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:28 am

The Yankees and Rob Bowen
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby tal1286 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:47 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:Arod- the Peyton Manning of baseball

They do not call him A-Fraud or A-Choke for nothing.

time and time again we've had this argument and you've consistently been proven wrong as we've pointed to FACTS, not mere conjecture, and shown you that Jeter choked just as badly as Arod did, if not worse, actually he did much worse than Arod, in the Red Sox series when your team embarressed itself, letting a team come back from 3 down for the only time in the history of the major leagues. The Yankees choked as a TEAM. And while you could make the claim that A-Rod is the Peyton Manning of baseball, I'd say you'd be wrong. A quarterback touches the ball many more times than a hitter will ever in a baseball game and he is vastly more important to his team than 1 single baseball player. Maybe you could compare a pitcher to a QB but I still think that would be a stretch.

If you take the small sample size that you are using, the red sox series and perhaps one other, you might as well go ahead and start ripping on your entire lineup From Jeter to Mariano Rivera (who can forget the GW HR to Ortiz?) to bernie to sheffield to matsui to posada to yes, Arod. But to single out your best player is ludicrous especially when you cling to the belief that your golden boy Jeter has never choked which is blatently false.

You annoy us with these baseless claims and frankly, I'm sick of it and I'm sure everyone else is as well but I'm kinda annoyed already so I'm gonna say something about it. How can you call yourself a fan of a team and then turn around and belittle the guy who is BY FAR your MVP and best player. Unbelievable.

To answer the real question: I don't really want to own anyone from the white sox, but I have and will continue to do so cause I can seperate real life from fantasy and hey, I only have to cheer for my players to do well, I love cheering for the white sox to put up 10 runs and then lose.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:57 am

TheYanks04 wrote:

ICON, you didn't have to give Yanks04 a opportunity.

Mike & Mike in the morning came up with that silly comparision. A QB has far more effect on winning then one position player. Not to mention Arod has good post season numbers, and Manning doesn't.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby sharksfan1139 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:34 am

Santana- ppl take him way too early
sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kidnemisis » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:31 am

Andruw Jones- I had him last year, and sure those homer surges were great, but his inconsistency is just annoying. I know people will say its roto, who cares, but if given two nearly identical statlines i'll take the guy who is consistent and doesn't make me tear my hair out with a terrible month.

As for the A-Rod argument, any real Yankee fan knows that he is a great talent. The performing in the clutch thing is the stupidest thing in sports because a 10 year veteran could be 0 for his playoff career and be labeled "unclutch" then have 2 good years and suddenly that label disappears. The sports world just loves to label people. If anything A-Rod's problem is that he thinks things over too much and just wants to say the perfect thing. But u know what? We deride players who act like a-holes, but we also get on guys who try to please the world. Bottom line? A-Rod is a once in a lifetime talent and I enjoy watching his effortless home runs and constant hustling.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:17 am

The funniest part about the anti-clutch thing is that Arod holds a .305 avg and .927 OPS in the playoffs and .863 OPS with RISP over the past 3 years and a .945 OPS close and late. Basically its a bunch of baloney.

Don't get me started on Manning who has only lost one game where his team was supposed to have won in the playoffs and it was because of a missed FG and poor defense.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ScrappyDoo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:52 am

But the difference between Peyton or A-Rod and great players is that great players win games they arent supposed to win. Dont get me wrong, in terms of skills and statistics, Peyton and A-Rod are superheroes. It just so happens their krytonite is the playoffs.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:20 am

HOOTIE wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

ICON, you didn't have to give Yanks04 a opportunity.

Mike & Mike in the morning came up with that silly comparision. A QB has far more effect on winning then one position player. Not to mention Arod has good post season numbers, and Manning doesn't.

Let me clarify my statement. I didn't mean that I disliked Arod because he choked in the clutch. I dislike him mainly because he tries too hard to be politically correct (a tool) and despite a reputation for greatness never seems to win.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nsulham » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:28 am

In the past (and currently) I've owned A-Rod, Mussina and Posada so obviously I'm not against having rival players on my team if it means I win my leagues. It's utterly stupid to do otherwise.

I have a friend in the league who loves the O's and DESPISES the Yanks. The last 2 years he's drafted Moose only to trade him to me for what amounted to a bag of balls because he couldn't stand having him on his team. I'll take other owners' shortsightedness and turn it into my wealth any day of the week ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers