Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:40 pm

So, how about that Da Vinci Code?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Coppermine wrote:So, how about that Da Vinci Code?

beads? ewwww
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby theclefe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:42 pm

So, I am reading this book and every chapter seems to insult me.

Granted, I am only on chapter 143, but the lack of information is more annoying than mysterious. I don't mind that some naked dead guy wrote a word jumble with his own blood, but lets not spend seventeen chapters drawing out these "experts" figuring it out.

I know everyone likes it, probably after reading the whole thing and getting the whole story, but it is poorly written IMO.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:45 pm

theclefe wrote:So, I am reading this book and every chapter seems to insult me.

Granted, I am only on chapter 143, but the lack of information is more annoying than mysterious. I don't mind that some naked dead guy wrote a word jumble with his own blood, but lets not spend seventeen chapters drawing out these "experts" figuring it out.

I know everyone likes it, probably after reading the whole thing and getting the whole story, but it is poorly written IMO.

Well its not the most elegantly written book but its a mystery. i thought it was good.
Thats how mysteries usually work too..and it makes sense IMO
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby theclefe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:04 pm

acsguitar wrote:

Well its not the most elegantly written book but its a mystery. i thought it was good.

I don't read many mysteries, so maybe I'm just unaccustomed to the style.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:15 pm

theclefe wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

I don't read many mysteries, so maybe I'm just unaccustomed to the style.

Well pretty much the whole book is them solving puzzle after puzzle

It gets pretty interesting I think
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:29 am

This was one of my biggest gripes about this book. If Langdon was supposed to be an "expert" in the subject material, he would have figured out many of these things in minutes, rather than days.

It's a simple plot device designed to keep the reader in the dark but interested at the same time. I for one find it annoying. I feel like the book is talking down to me, as if I didn't have the wit to see through this.

Of course, it doesn't help that I had just finished a five-book series with EXACTLY the same plot device as this and that I was tremendously annoyed by it. That may have colored my view of TDVC, but even still I doubt I would have much liked this book. I've been a "fan" of the grail for years and years and I've read tons on it - enough to know that at least one major assertion this book makes is flat wrong.

TDVC is a decent read if you're not overly picky like me, but is it worth the hype it's receiving? I hardly think so.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:04 pm

knapplc wrote:

This was one of my biggest gripes about this book. If Langdon was supposed to be an "expert" in the subject material, he would have figured out many of these things in minutes, rather than days.

Um the book only lasts one day actually a few hours. He's awoken in the middle of the night.. I think he did pretty well figuring it all out in a few hours
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 pm

acsguitar wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Um the book only lasts one day actually a few hours. He's awoken in the middle of the night.. I think he did pretty well figuring it all out in a few hours

It was two days. Read the book again. ;-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:54 pm

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
knapplc wrote:

It was two days. Read the book again. ;-)

It was one day. He woke up in the middle of the night then work all night into the next day... I guess the final chapter was two days but still most of it was one day
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk