Randy Johnson, and Pedro Martinez??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Randy Johnson, and Pedro Martinez???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Johnson, and Pedro Martinez???

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:18 pm

Will they both hold up this year, and be the dominating pitchers they have been in the past...What are your thoughts on these two?
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:48 pm

They'll be ok... I think Johnson is clearly in the downswing of his career and Pedro is leveling off. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets hurt (likely Johnson who is, what, 42? 43?), but Johnson will still put up the K's and Pedro will keep his ERA down.

I noticed how iffy the starting pitching selection is in this year's fantasy draft.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

RJ and Pedro

Postby hoopitup21212 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Johnson as you said yes will get the K's and I also don’t think that he will be any better then last season. Having this guy in any club house makes a team better because of what RJ is as a good veteran and player but his arm is old and its time to start thinking about someone else instead of the big unit for fantasy.

I would like to add on to what you said about pitching in this year’s draft. Pitching I think at least in all h2h leagues will be scare meaning if you have a good pitcher such as Santana, Oswalt, Carpenter, Halladay or even both of those names you will prolly have a pitching lineup that no on can touch unless the have a bad week.

Anyhow deff go after pitching first and after that maybe go after some good young SP' such as Becket, Willis, Sheets, C.Zambrano, or even (Félix Hernández, Ervin Santana) those pitchers you should keep an eye on in the draft this year if your in a h2h league like I said or h2h keeper league.
hoopitup21212
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby liv4socr20 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:55 pm

Coppermine I agree with your post about the starting pitching in this years draft. Most of the aces are aging and declining, injury prone, or too young and unproven. There is no one in this draft except for Santana and maybe not even him that is a sure lock for the numbers you expect an ace to put up. There isnt consistency anymore like you used to expect from Maddux, Pedro, Schilling, Randy, Clemens, etc. in their prime. going to be an interesting draft year for fantasy baseball
Only 2 things are certain in life...... death and Albert Pujols
liv4socr20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

pedro and randy

Postby Eightan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:53 pm

hmmm... if i knew that you'd have to call me moses. or jesus. or mohammed.

but if i had to guess... i'd say they'll both be fine. they're both high quality pitchers and tenacious competitors. both racked up 200+ innings last season and both were throwing heat throughout the whole season. in fact, johnson was actually able to direct his heat over the plate at the end of the season, which is a positive sign.

i personally am going to be looking for pedro at the top of the third round in my draft (fingers crossed and hoping people get scared to take him in the 2nd). my current strategy does not have me picking johnson, but if he falls late enough (round 5) i'll take him in a heartbeat and improvise the rest of my draft.
you can't live the dream, if you don't play the game
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ehk103 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:16 pm

Johnson will not recover from both age and Yankee Stadium pressure in 2006. Martinez is a better bet, specially since better bullpen and Carlos Delgado will back him up.
Çapt. Nintendo
ehk103
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

johnson or pedro

Postby Eightan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:21 pm

ehk103 wrote:Johnson will not recover from both age and Yankee Stadium pressure in 2006. Martinez is a better bet, specially since better bullpen and Carlos Delgado will back him up.

what is your basis for any of those statements?

1. randy johnson had a great 2nd half and pitched well in the postseason, both as a starter and in relief in game 5.

2. the yankee bullpen is better then the mets bullpen. period.

3. the yankees have a better lineup backing up randy then just delgado backing up pedro. last season randy got more run support per start then almost every other starting pitcher outside of boston.
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ThunderJersey » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Pedro will be significantly better that RJ. RJ is old and last season's struggles were not a fluke. He will do the same this year as he did last year...same with Pedro, so saying that Pedro will be better is a no brainer.
ThunderJersey
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

randy and pedro

Postby Eightan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:27 pm

i'm not saying pedro won't be better, no doubt he will be. all i'm saying is that the 3 points made in the post above mine are all wrong.
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby footballsimp » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:17 am

pedros ERA will be a full 1.00 better than randy's if not more. pedro around 3. randy around 4. pedro will have a few more k's i think. randy will have a few more wins merely because he is on the yankees. i could win with that team behind me and all i have is a 70 mph fastball, a 70 mph curve that has no action to it and a 70 mph change up. (I dont know how to pitch at all is what i am trying to say here)
footballsimp
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates