Pades hitting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to San Diego Padres

Pades hitting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pades hitting

Postby nuggets » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:57 pm

davidmarver wrote:Whoever said the Padres offense hasn't improved is greatly mistaken:

Giles is still in right and Greene is still at short.

We replaced Dave Roberts in center with Mike Cameron, an improvement.

We replaced Ryan Klesko in left with Dave Roberts and Ben Johnson, an improvement.

We replaced Sean Burroughs at third with Vinny Castilla, an improvement.

We replaced Ramon Hernandez at catcher with Mike Piazza, an offensive improvement.

We replaced Phil Nevin at first with Ryan Klesko, Adrian Gonzalez, Walter Jones, and Mike Piazza, an improvement.

We replaced Mark Loretta at second with Josh Barfield, who is our number one prospect.

This team's offense got a lot better in the offseason.

Marver made this statement. I don't agree. I see most as about equal or worse for the Pads. Someone tell me the real deal!
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:10 am

<pre>
OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%
Cameron 113 5.70 13-1 +18.1%
Roberts 114 5.08 23-12 +1.9%

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS
Roberts 114 5.08 23-12
Klesko 112 5.18 3-4

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%
Castilla 94 4.27 4-2 +6.3%
Burroughs 71 3.13 4-0 +9.6%

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS DEFCS%
Piazza 103 5.13 0-0 13.7%
Hernandez 109 5.21 1-0 25.7%

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%
Klesko 112 5.18 3-4 +5.3%
Nevin 79 3.74 3-0 +2.8%
</pre>
Those don't include Adrian Gonzalez or Ben Johnson's numbers since they don't have enough MLB stats to mean anything, yet are huge prospects. Gonzalez was a #1 pick and Johnson was the Padres #1 prospect in 2005 as rated by scout.com.

The only position in which the Padres visually downgraded was at catcher, but the price differential (save four million per season) far exceeds the miniscule offensive difference between Piazza and Hernandez.

Loretta/Barfield cannot be compared, but bringing up a 22 year old who ripped up AAA last season (five tool player) to replace a veteran with injury problems and a dead bat is A okay with me.

Rip on the Padres all you want, but they statistically improved this past season, before you even add in the effect of the rookies and of Khalil Greene's progression.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby depotvendor » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 am

Has anybody figured out why Petco is death for hitters? The one thing that I didnt like the Pads doing last year was trading Germano for Randa. Big time drop in talent there.
depotvendor
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 am

davidmarver wrote:<pre>
OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%

Offensively I'd say this is a wash.

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS
Roberts 114 5.08 23-12
Klesko 112 5.18 3-4

Wash

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%

Definite improvement

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS DEFCS%

Loss

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%
Nevin 79 3.74 3-0 +2.8%

Improvement
</pre>

The offense looks a little better but I don't see a huge difference. Keeping everyone healthy would be the best improvement.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
davidmarver wrote:<pre>
OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%

Offensively I'd say this is a wash.

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS
Roberts 114 5.08 23-12
Klesko 112 5.18 3-4

Wash

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%

Definite improvement

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS DEFCS%

Loss

OPS+ RC/27 SB-CS RFg%
Nevin 79 3.74 3-0 +2.8%

Improvement
</pre>

The offense looks a little better but I don't see a huge difference. Keeping everyone healthy would be the best improvement.

correct .. don't forget the natural progression for Greene.
You don't need to win 95 to win this division either.

So a slighty better offense, a better defense in center and on the corners, and by all accounts a deeper, quality pitching staff, we will be hanging a pennant around our shoulders again in 2006. :-)

Bring on the Cardinals!!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:21 pm

wrveres wrote:correct .. don't forget the natural progression for Greene.
You don't need to win 95 to win this division either.

So a slighty better offense, a better defense in center and on the corners, and by all accounts a deeper, quality pitching staff, we will be hanging a pennant around our shoulders again in 2006. :-)
I agree, all-around the Pads look better. Health seems the most important thing to me. They have some older guys and hopefully Greene can avoid a trip to the DL this year.

And I wouldn't hang that pennant yet. If SF has a healthy Bonds, Schmidt and Benitez they will be trouble. Same with LA. It's not like half their team can go on the DL again, can it? I guess with Drew and Nomar anything is possible. :-)

wrveres wrote:Bring on the Cardinals!!

That worked out well last year. :-D
SOTD let you off easy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:42 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:And I wouldn't hang that pennant yet. If SF has a healthy Bonds, Schmidt and Benitez they will be trouble. Same with LA. It's not like half their team can go on the DL again, can it? I guess with Drew and Nomar anything is possible. :-)

and Barry is Bone on Bone .. Benitez is hurt already .. a 50 year old Finley and Alou are the replacements .. oh and not lets forget DL Durham at the top of the order.

oh and niether LA, SF, or ARZ have the pitching depth we do ...

SDP = 2006 NL West Pennant baby :-°
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nuggets » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:50 pm

Interesting stats Marver, good stuff thanks.

depotvendor wrote:Has anybody figured out why Petco is death for hitters? The one thing that I didnt like the Pads doing last year was trading Germano for Randa. Big time drop in talent there.

From This Thread

It's not so much a reputation but how many runs, hr and how high a average hitters have hit relative to other parks. Here is a more detailed explanation.

Great American has a park score of 337, 4th best for hitters. Petco has a score of 234, worst in the majors.

As far as the weather goes, I believe Pecto is located in an area which frequently has high pressure so, air is essential funneling downward, exerting more pressure on the ball more often than in Cincy.

Another factor could be lesser air pressure regardless of weather conditions. Cincy is at 540 feet, Pecto at sea level. That’s about a difference of 16 units on your Barometer, all other things being equal. Still, the altitude difference only has about a 2% effect on air density.

The argument has been made claiming a baseball travels farther in humid versus dry air, due to the molar weight difference of humidified air. Here is some solid info on this topic. San Diego has an average humidity of about 67% in baseball months, Cincinnati's average baseball months humidity is about 82%.

Also,temperature effects viscosity. 78.2 is the average high during baseball season in Cincinnati, which is weighted down by a cold April (64) and is more variable than San Deigo. Cincy has significantly higher average high temps in the later months. An average temp at Pecto would likely be close to San Diego Int'l Airport's Lindbergh Field, the average high temp in baseball months is 73.5 at Lindbergh Field.

So there you have four possible factors:

1. Air pressure based on typical weather patterns

2. Air pressure based on elevation

3. Air density based on average humidity

4. Air viscosity relative to higher summer temperature in Cincinnati
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:09 pm

and don't forget ..

Petco is across the street form the Pacific Ocean.
games start a 7:05 after that heavy marine layer rolls in every night.

it used to be bad at 'the Q' a few miles inland, but it is even worse when you are across the street form an ocean
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thatohiosportsfan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:54 am

...has not improved...

For those of you who picked the Reds to be last in the central (including espn and si)...i hate all of you, and you are wrong...
thatohiosportsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to San Diego Padres