Jays sign Bengie Molina - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays sign Bengie Molina

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The_Met_Threat » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:58 pm

Phatferd wrote:No offense, but even its not a direct quote, I would take Blairs word above yours. He is a hell of a lot closer to the situation than you.

P.S. if the GM and coach are disputing over certain things then I hate to inform you, but the GM always wins those arguments.

How do you know that mweir145 isn't J.P Ricciardi?

Don't assume, you make an ass out of u and me. :-b :-D
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:07 pm

Phatferd wrote:No offense, but even its not a direct quote, I would take Blairs word above yours. He is a hell of a lot closer to the situation than you.

P.S. if the GM and coach are disputing over certain things then I hate to inform you, but the GM always wins those arguments.

As I said, the best thing to do now is wait and see.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:14 pm

mweir145 wrote:

I totally agree.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:47 pm

Phatferd wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

I totally agree.

Molina will catch 120 games AT LEAST this year. Barring injury of course. Zaun will catch the other 42. Or i should say start, i can see either or being pinch hit for the other if a situation late in the game calls for it.

JP will not sign a player to a 5 million $$$ contract to have him sit on the bench. Not going to happen.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Report: Jays sign Bengie Molina

Postby mweir145 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:33 pm

Wozzyck wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The Jays haven't counted any of the signing bonuses they have made this off-season as part of their $75M payroll focus number, I don't see how this would be any different than before.

Any idea why they would be doing that? Despite the facetious comment above, I think there might be tax advantages in declaring a certain portion of the money to be a "signing bonus" rather than actual earned salary, but, of course, that money still has to be paid to the player and budgeted for. (So, in their minds, you're saying Burnett really only costs $1M against their "payroll focus number" in 2006, despite the fact that he's also receiving a $6M signing bonus this year? If Burnett is actually going to receive $7M this year from the Blue Jays, what's the point of this sort of bookkeeping?)

Here's an interesting excerpt that I just read on Blair's blog, it definitely answers a few of these questions:

In a reminder of what kind of tight-rope that Blue Jays president and chief executive officer Paul Godfrey and Ricciardi both walk, sources tell me that it was only on Wednesday that the board of directors of Rogers Communications agreed to allow the Blue Jays to amortize the signing bonuses that they give out to players. In the previous five years of ownership by Rogers, the Blue Jays have been forced to account for their signing bonuses up front, while 25 of the remaining 29 teams were allowed to spread out the value of the bonus over the length of the contract. It's more than mere book-keeping hocus-pocus, since offering large signing bonuses is one of the few ways the Blue Jays can bid for free agents, since those signing bonuses are taxed at a much more favorable rate in Canada than are player's salaries. It's less about how much payroll the Blue Jays report to commissioner's office than it is about keeping accountants and regulatory administrators happy - it's part of the deal, in other words, when your owner runs a publicly-traded company.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ports/home[/quote]
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:10 pm

There were a few articles in the Toronto Star today about the Molina signing. Here is one of them, and an excerpt from it. The Conn Smythe dinner was in town here last night, so was a good chance for them to interview folks. Seems pretty clear that Molina will be the usual starter, but the manager and GM both seem to realize the importance of getting Zaun at-bats too, so I still think he will have an important role on this team. Also, given that Molina's option is a mutual "out", I'd be surprised to see him back around here in 2007 for $7.5M. Given that Molina hits best against lefties, and Zaun is a switch-hitter, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Gregg Zaun is in the option year of his contract, having earned the starting job in two grinding seasons and is clearly disturbed by the Molina signing on the eve of spring training.

"He wasn't real happy, but I'd be surprised if he was," manager John Gibbons told the Star's Allan Ryan of a phone call from Zaun. "I just told him if he needs to vent, he can call me anytime.

"I'll take care of it. I'll get him his playing time. He's a big part of what we did and what we're still doing. He waited so long for that job and he did a great job. We owe him the at-bats."

Even the GM realizes potential for disharmony exists behind the plate at spring training. "Zaun's at a stage where he wants to play more, but, for us it's a situation where we feel we're stronger having both of these guys," Ricciardi said.

Molina has spent the last few years with his brother Jose as his backup in Anaheim. The chemistry with the stubborn, emotional Zaun, in Dunedin will be slightly different. But, every camp needs a story line and this will be a good one.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers