Jays sign Bengie Molina - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays sign Bengie Molina

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kelly Gruber » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:07 am

Wozzyck wrote:Glaus is a grown man and I hope this wasn't a factor. (Besides, if he really needs someone around who's shared the rally monkey experience, he's already got Scott Schoeneweis.)

Ya, he's a grown man, but he's also an athlete and little things like this can make a difference to team chemistry and stuff like that. I am not saying it will change his attitutude, but it may make the transition easier, which would definitly be a good thing.
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Here is some additional information on the signing, and a few insights on what the Jays lineup could be with Molina on the team:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ports/home
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby CC » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:
fatnub2339 wrote:so what happens now? Will Molina serve as their every-day catcher?

The Globe says that he will probably catch 5 days a week.
2nd in the Baseball Leg of the Cafe Challenge.
CC Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Phatferd » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:00 pm

Ricciardi envisions Molina, a right-handed hitter, catching five times a week. One of three catching brothers in the majors, along with Yadier (St. Louis Cardinals) and Jose (who will be his replacement with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim), Bengie is considered to be a good contact hitter. He was criticized in Anaheim last season for a deterioration in his catching mechanics

So do you guys still think he is a part time player?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:04 pm

Zaun needed someone to split catching duties with the Jays. Quiroz isn't, IMO, ready for the big leagues and I have serious doubts he ever will be. The Jays will prolly have to waive him before they can send him down and I'm not sure he clears waivers. Zaun catched a lot of games last year and he'll be 35 years old this season. His numbers went way down in the second half and to me it says that he was catching too many games.

I think Phillips was a good insurance policy...and he still is, but the Jays are better off with Molina.
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:26 pm

I like this signing for the Jays. Like KC said, Zaun is getting older and he was tailing off during the second half. It was evident the guy was getting tired. I'm happy with what Molina brings to the Jays and hopefully it works out for the best.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Ricciardi envisions Molina, a right-handed hitter, catching five times a week. One of three catching brothers in the majors, along with Yadier (St. Louis Cardinals) and Jose (who will be his replacement with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim), Bengie is considered to be a good contact hitter. He was criticized in Anaheim last season for a deterioration in his catching mechanics

So do you guys still think he is a part time player?

Yes, I still think he'll split time with Zaun. He will get considerable time at both catcher and DH, though. I'd consider him to be a good fantasy pick, and top 1/3 among fantasy catchers this year.

The Jays will have an extremely powerful lineup agaisnt lefties, with a middle of the order of Wells, Glaus, Molina and Hillenbrand. There is no question that Molina should get a ton of RBI opportunities if he hits in the middle of that lineup. In addition, if Hill can hit the same way he did early in the season last year while following those four, Molina could end up with a larger than normal sum of runs as well.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Weir you crack me up. We discussed over 10 pages of threads how Molina would be used. You said the Jays front office and coaching staff wouldn't allow Molina to take over as a starter for Zaun because he's too good of a clubhouse guy and etc...

I told you in that thread that you aren't privy to the organization to know what their plans at C are. I said if he is signed for $4 million (he's actually making $5 million when all is said and done) that he will be the starter.

Your GM is quoted in that article saying Molina will CATCH 5 games, not days, a week. Most teams play 6 games in a week, so that means Molina is going to catch 5 games to Zauns 1.

Tell me who the clear starter is?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:48 pm

First of all, where is he being quoted? I just see Blair writing "Ricciardi envisions Molina catching 5 times a week." If Ricciardi actually said something like that, wouldn't he have written it as a direct quote coming straight from Ricciardi? He could be just assuming that is the case due to the $3 million deal, and $1.5 million signing bonus. This is probably true, considering Blair is the only Toronto reported to have written it this way.

Second of all, even if Ricciardi actually told Blair this in some kind of interview between the two of them, and he isn't just assuming, J.P. doesn't make the lineup decisions, Gibbons does. They are already differing on a few points earlier this year, specifically where Vernon Wells will bat (Gibbons sees him more as a 5, J.P. sees him as a 3).

In addition, Molina will also start several games as a DH agaisnt tougher LH pitchers, leaving Zaun to catch on those days. Zaun is also the better hitter agaisnt RH pitchers, so one would assume that he would start many of those games as well.

At the moment, I'm expecting the playing time to be divied up between the two of them at a 60-40 or 70-30 rate in favour of Molina. You are right, he will be the "primary starter", but it won't be to the same extent as a Posada/Varitek/Martinez would be. I highly doubt he'll catch anywhere near the number of games Zaun did last year.

We've been at this long enough to know that I won't be changing my stance anytime soon, so the best thing we can do now is wait it out until April. It is then, that you will see I am correct in my assessment of the current Jays catching situation. ;-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:49 pm

No offense, but even its not a direct quote, I would take Blairs word above yours. He is a hell of a lot closer to the situation than you.

P.S. if the GM and coach are disputing over certain things then I hate to inform you, but the GM always wins those arguments.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers