Jays sign Bengie Molina - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jays sign Bengie Molina

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Report: Jays sign Bengie Molina

Postby mweir145 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:58 pm

Wozzyck wrote:
mweir145 wrote:It looks as if only $3M of the previously reported $5M will be on the Jays' payroll for the 2006 season. The rest of it looks to be split up between a $1.5M signing bonus, and a possible buyout of $500,000.

The $1.5 million dollars still counts for luxury tax purposes. If the option is declined, it all counts for 2006; otherwise, I believe it's split evenly between 2006 and 2007.

The Jays haven't counted any of the signing bonuses they have made this off-season as part of their $75M payroll focus number, I don't see how this would be any different than before. I wasn't referring to the money's impact on the amount they pay for luxery tax purposes, obviously that factor would remain the same.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:02 pm

Perhaps there's a tax advantage to wasting $$$ north of the border? :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:38 pm

slomo007 wrote:Toronto seems to be spending money for the sake of spending money.

I agree, that's the way it strikes me too. :-/ Molina is a decent enough player, but I don't think he is such a huge improvement over Zaun at this point, and the Jays could've probably the spent the money better on something else (at the trade deadline?) Not that I am privy to the Jays' budget discussions or anything, but $5 million seems an awful lot to sink into a player that I didn't think would be more than a luxury on this team. Zaun was very good for the Jays last year (voted team MVP by the players), but I guess they must've been very concerned about the possibility of going with either Phillips or Quiroz if he went down for any length of time. (And clearly at this amount of $, Molina will be the more frequent starter for this team, too.)

AcidRock23 wrote:Perhaps there's a tax advantage to wasting $$$ north of the border? :-?

LOL, only if you're a friend of the Liberal party.. :-b
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wozzyck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 pm

mweir145 wrote:The Jays haven't counted any of the signing bonuses they have made this off-season as part of their $75M payroll focus number, I don't see how this would be any different than before.

Any idea why they would be doing that? Despite the facetious comment above, I think there might be tax advantages in declaring a certain portion of the money to be a "signing bonus" rather than actual earned salary, but, of course, that money still has to be paid to the player and budgeted for. (So, in their minds, you're saying Burnett really only costs $1M against their "payroll focus number" in 2006, despite the fact that he's also receiving a $6M signing bonus this year? If Burnett is actually going to receive $7M this year from the Blue Jays, what's the point of this sort of bookkeeping?)
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:37 pm

Wozzyck wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The Jays haven't counted any of the signing bonuses they have made this off-season as part of their $75M payroll focus number, I don't see how this would be any different than before.

Any idea why they would be doing that? Despite the facetious comment above, I think there might be tax advantages in declaring a certain portion of the money to be a "signing bonus" rather than actual earned salary, but, of course, that money still has to be paid to the player and budgeted for. (So, in their minds, you're saying Burnett really only costs $1M against their "payroll focus number" in 2006, despite the fact that he's also receiving a $6M signing bonus this year? If Burnett is actually going to receive $7M this year from the Blue Jays, what's the point of this sort of bookkeeping?)

Yes, that's what he is supposedly costing "the payroll" this season. Why they are doing it this way, well I'm not sure, but it certainly allows us to sign more players. I'm not complaining. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:41 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Toronto seems to be spending money for the sake of spending money.

I agree, that's the way it strikes me too. :-/ Molina is a decent enough player, but I don't think he is such a huge improvement over Zaun at this point, and the Jays could've probably the spent the money better on something else (at the trade deadline?) Not that I am privy to the Jays' budget discussions or anything, but $5 million seems an awful lot to sink into a player that I didn't think would be more than a luxury on this team. Zaun was very good for the Jays last year (voted team MVP by the players), but I guess they must've been very concerned about the possibility of going with either Phillips or Quiroz if he went down for any length of time. (And clearly at this amount of $, Molina will be the more frequent starter for this team, too.)

The biggest benefit that I see out of this deal is not so much that Molina is better than Zaun, but Zaun being a far better option than Quiroz and Phillips.

The Jays now have one of the better catching tandoms in the league, but this probably will mark the end of Quiroz's time here before it really began.

A big question though, is that if they don't re-sign Molina to that option next year, who exactly is going to be the Jays' catcher will be in 2007 and beyond. Thigpen? :-?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Kelly Gruber » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:18 am

I think this is potentially a good move as it may help Troy to adjust to a new team having a familiar previous teammate,,,and if they do make the playoffs, don't forget Molina's experience,,,that could be a factor,,,
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wozzyck » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:45 am

mweir145 wrote:The biggest benefit that I see out of this deal is not so much that Molina is better than Zaun, but Zaun being a far better option than Quiroz and Phillips.

That is the biggest benefit, but is the difference between Zaun and Quiroz/Phillips at backup catcher worth $5M? I would say no without much hesitation.

mweir145 wrote:A big question though, is that if they don't re-sign Molina to that option next year, who exactly is going to be the Jays' catcher will be in 2007 and beyond. Thigpen? :-?

Internally, Thigpen would be the obvious candidate, but I can't imagine he takes over next year (if he's ever ready to). There's probably a good chance it's another round of Molina.

Kelly Gruber wrote:I think this is potentially a good move as it may help Troy to adjust to a new team having a familiar previous teammate

Glaus is a grown man and I hope this wasn't a factor. (Besides, if he really needs someone around who's shared the rally monkey experience, he's already got Scott Schoeneweis.)
Last edited by Wozzyck on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:00 am

Wozzyck wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The biggest benefit that I see out of this deal is not so much that Molina is better than Zaun, but Zaun being a far better option than Quiroz and Phillips.

That is the biggest benefit, but is the difference between Zaun and Quiroz/Phillips at backup catcher worth $5M? I would say no without much hesitation.

I agree, I still think they should have gone after a corner OF through some kind of trade. Compared to other catching signings in the last few years though, this is very cheap.

Wozzyck wrote:Glaus is a grown man and I hope this wasn't a factor. (Besides, if he really needs someone around who's shared the rally monkey experience, he's already got Scott Schoeneweis.)

I didn't write that(Kelly_Gruber did), but I can't see how the addition of another Angel would really hurt.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Wozzyck » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:05 am

mweir145 wrote:I didn't write that(Kelly_Gruber did), but I can't see how the addition of another Angel would really hurt.

Sorry about that; I cut and pasted the wrong name. ;-)
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers