Dynasty League Free Agent Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dynasty League Free Agent Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty League Free Agent Strategy

Postby DaQ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:40 pm

First, I do realize this could be cosidered "borderline Draft/Trade/Waiver forum" stuff, but this isn't just a simple trade or waiver pickup. I need advice on an entire free agent strategy.

I'll explain how my league's FA system works in the easiest way I can. Each player has a contract, but it's not based on actual dollar amounts (like Pujols isn't $45 in this league). It's in years that count towards the salary cap. This part doesn't affect my problem (as you'll see below on why it doesn't), but I jsut wanted to get that out of the way.

However, we do have currency, called Franchise Funds (FF's). These are what we use for transactions such as signing free agents.

My team (14 team dynasty league, pts weekly H2H, favors power over speed by a little bit) currently has 25 Franchise Funds. This is lower than almsot every team in the league, but I don't really have a lot of holes to fill w/ my starters (with some short notes):
C - open
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Robinson Cano
3B - Miggy Cabrera
SS- Peralta
OF - Berkman, Dunn, open
SP - Peavy, Capenter, Pettite, Felix, open (Delmon Young is on the bench)
RP - C. Cordero, open, open

Relief pitchers don't get as many total points as SP's and the hitters, but one hot week can really help a team (that's why two spots are open in the starting bullpen).

ANYWAY, we have to bid on free agents. I need a C, OF (if I get a very good 3B cheap, I can move Miggy back to OF), SP and 2 RP. We also have a free agent draft in a month or so to draft all unclaimed free agents (for free).

Out of my 25 FF's, I have 20 available - I can't possibly over-bid myself (somehow I have winning bids on two catchers so far). I may trade a minors pick or two to get some more FF's, and if someone tops my bid, I get a couple more FF's available to me. Here are my options on what to do from here:

A.) Go for reasonable/cheaper bargins: I have most of my starters, so I can just use some bargains to fill the holes. Some OF's here could be guys like Coco Crisp, a middle to back of the rotation SP (guys like Bedard, Radke, Contreras, Clement, etc.) and two RP's that could get me some points somewhere (Shields does well for a RP, but things like top MR's and sleeper closers). It should fill all of my starter holes, yet no signing would be a league-shaker.

B.) Go for the one superstar: This one is interesting. I can sign one player to a two year deal (every other new guy I get gets a one-year deal), and if I land a big star, he gets the 2-year deal. Some of these stars that are FA's include Manny Ramirez, Ben Sheets, and Pedro. These guys will cost a TON (10+ FF's for sure). If I'm lucky, I can land one guy like this using this strategy. Some stars that will be a little bit (but not much) cheaper are Sheffield, H.Matsui, Carl Crawford, Chavez, Jeter, Prior, Lidge, etc. I then can sign a couple more cheaper decent players to fill my openings, but probably not enough for every single opening. Even though I land the big fish, I may not get decently solid players at every single opening.

FINAL WORD:Just for some background, this year would be my tear to try and win it all. I have a lot of players whose higher contracts are up at the end of the year (Berkman, Dunn, Peavy) and a bunch of lower contracts I need to re-sign (basically everyone else not named Miguel Cabrera or Delmon Young). I won't be able to afford to keep a lot of my team after this season. BTW, we do have a FA draft after all this, so we all end up with full, 25-player rosters.

I know this post is pretty damn long, but what should I do? Any help is really appreciated.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:11 pm

First off, your team looks incredible for a 14-team dynasty, nice job 8-o ;-D

I have a couple of questions regarding your league though, first off, do you count holds? If so, then I would fill those RP spots with holds guys.

Right now, it does sound like after this year, you team won't be the same, so I would go for the "superstar" route and make a push to win it all. Without knowing the $$ values in your league (it would help if you posted what some players are going for), I think that if you are smart, one Manny or Crawford (who would fill your speed void), a cheap catcher, a mediocre pitcher (with Peavy, Carp, Felix, and Pettite, you pitching looks great), and 2 holds guys - maybe guys that are behind closers that are on shaky ground, so they have a chance at getting the job, but would still contribute as a setup guy - or a cheap closer ala Ray/Orvella, could fill out your team very nicely, and I would expect you to be the favorite in your league ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ensanimal » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:41 pm

Just ask her out already. ;-D

Ooops, wrong type of question. ;-7 :-b

I'd also go with the 1 superstar route, and then fill in your needs with lower priced guys/sleepers. There is a lot of cheap, young pitching these days, so you shouldn't really worry there.

I would go after Crawford hard, as you need the OF and speed.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Broncmet724 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 pm

It is curious you got such a nice team in a 14 team league. I'd leave a little wiggle room for trades during the year so you can make that push for the championship
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaQ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 pm

baseball6791 wrote:First off, your team looks incredible for a 14-team dynasty, nice job 8-o ;-D

Thanks. My team last year (the initial year)wasn't too bad either - just that I made the wrong decision regarding if Felix would reach the rookie requirement when our playoffs started (August-September area). He had only two starts at the time. Also, everyone on my team outside of Cabrera, Mike Young and Wright took the last few weeks of the season off.

My starters last season:
C- B. Molina (picked up off the WW)
1B - D. Johnson.Shelton (thanks Morneau)
2B - Cano (picked up off the WW)
3B - Wright
SS - Mike Young (had Peralta, a WW pickup, as a backup)
OF - Cabrera, Berkman, Jose Guillen/Raul Ibanez (Delmon was on the bench)
SP - Peavy, Buehrle, Bonderman (got in trade), Smoltz (trade right before the deadline), Carlos Silva (WW pickup, but was on the bench once I got Smoltz). Felix was in my minors.
RP - Cordero (cheaper than Lidge, who I was forced to trade for cap reasons), Shields.

So my last year team was pretty good - tied for the best regular season record in the league. Unfortunately, I was ousted in hte first round of the playoffs (the other team got red hot at the right time - they ended up losing in the finals). So, just FYI, how did half this team disappear?

- Dumped Molina
- Shields is a RFA
- Smoltz had a high contract, so I let him go
-Gullien/Ibanez...gone
- Traded Mike Young (much bigger contract than Peralta) and Buehrle for Howard and Damon (and a couple FF's)
-Made a big 3 team trade. For me, it was trading Wright, Bondy, Damon and RFA rights (and some FF's) and Silva for Carpenter, Pettite and Dunn.

And yes, the league does count holds, so top MR guys are decent. Also last year, we only started 4 SP/2 RP. This year, it's 5 SP/3 RP.

Also, I get a bunch of FF's to start the season with, so I'll have a bit of wiggle room there too.

Thanks for the advice so far...keep em coming if you have an opinion. ;-)
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:19 pm

So much for Manny...the George Steinbrener of our league is gonna get him.

I am planning to go hard on a couple other players though, so we'll see (half our league is constantly on the Cafe, so I'll let you know who I did bid on after I know if I'll get them or not).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers