5th Pick in Rookie/Prospect Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

5th Pick in Rookie/Prospect Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5th Pick in Rookie/Prospect Draft

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:19 am

6 keepers 5x5 h2h league

I've got a rookie/prospect draft coming up soon and I have the 5th pick overall. Penciled in for the top 4 picks are Young, Hermida, Wood and Cain.

This is our first year for a rookie/prospect draft and we can keep all of our minor leaguers (will be 5 for most teams) but ONLY if they don't go over the 130ab/50ip limit before September - if they pass that number before September the only way to keep them would be as one of your 6 regular keepers.

I've got two extenuating circumstances that may affect the what my decision is as far as who to draft. First of all, 5 of my 6 keepers are outstanding - I have Pujols, Utley, Rollins, Crawford and Carpenter as 5 of my 6 keepers. Chipper Jones or Rolen will be my last keeper.

Lastly, I really don't have a need for guys that are coming up in 2006 for any significant time. I took this team over this offseason and sold most of my good 2006 draft picks to rebuild a set of weak keepers into a very good set of young keepers that should keep me in contention for years to come (but at the cost of next season). So the ideal keeper for me would be a can't miss prospect that's coming up in 2007.

With 3B being my only IF position I don't have covered for several years I considered either Zimmerman or Marte. Obviously Zimmerman's coming up this year so that's not ideal. Marte sounds like an iffy one on whether he'll get in 130ab next year or not (depends a lot on Boone). Other than these two guys, who should I be targetting with my first pick. Again, keep in mind that I don't care about 2006 so unless a guy coming up in 2006 is good enough to replace one of my keepers it's really a wasted pick.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:16 am

Two words: Justin Upton. He would be the best pick at this spot, though he will most likely play SS or OF in the future. He wouldn't be up this year, possibly the end of 2007 or 2008 season if everything works out right. If you really are just targeting a 3B and are stuck in that mind frame, go with Alex Gordon or Ian Stewart. They will both seemingly be up next year and I don't think either will get over 130 AB's this season.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rhd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:12 pm

How about Alex Gordon? He'll be ready sooner than Upton and he's 3Bman. He'd probably be my pick if you definitely dont want someone who'll be in MLB this year.
rhd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DWright5 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:50 pm

stephen drew
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks for all of the input! Those are some of the guys I've been kicking around as well.

Just a few added questions...
First, if Young, Hermida, Wood, Cain or Francisco Liriano were to fall to me at #5 are any of them worth keeping over Chipper Jones assuming they get their 130ab's in 2006.

Second, anyone have any thoughts on Lastings Milledge, Chris Young or Carlos Quentin. I'm already leaning towards Justin Upton with Stephen Drew as a backup option (since I don't even *need* a SS in 2007 I can wait for Upton if he's not ready in 2007). However, if someone takes Upton and Drew and I decide to not go with one of next year's likely call-ups since I wouldn't keep them over Chipper I want to have a backup plan to Upton and Drew.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Hermida will get 500 abs, i would keep him over Chipper. If Young/Hermida are gone, and they will be, i would take Ian Stewart or Stephen Drew.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:05 pm

I would be looking at Justin Upton if he is still available.. out of the group you mentioned, and after Delmon Young of course...
J.Upton would be my pick actually, and than B.Wood...

D.Young
J.Upton
B.Wood
I.Stewart
J.Hermida

Anyway... 3rd base.. I would take Ian Stewart, and then Alex Gordon over Marte, and Zimmerman...
(as for longterm fantasy ceiling)

Hard to pass up, Justin upton...
and...Ian Stewart in Coors field...oh my :-D

my 2 cents...

Hope this helps ;-D
Last edited by Purple Haze on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:09 pm

With all of these options I'm trying to trade to pick up a #10 overall pick as well. I'm thinking it *might* be possible to pick up Stewart there as well as snagging Upton at #5 which would be a VERY nice foundation for what I'm trying to build in 2007 and 2008.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:10 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:With all of these options I'm trying to trade to pick up a #10 overall pick as well. I'm thinking it *might* be possible to pick up Stewart there as well as snagging Upton at #5 which would be a VERY nice foundation for what I'm trying to build in 2007 and 2008.

That would be sweet! :-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball