what makes Michael Young so special? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what makes Michael Young so special?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KOSTAS » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:24 am

his stats...

but what really sets him apart is his durability and consistency. He's a rock and he hits in one of the best lineups and parks in baseball.

nuff said.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 am

Boring is better. Those stats are awesome because all of them count. Of course you take Crawford, Cabrera and Santana above him, but not Abreu

Sounds like Abreu will go cheap again this year because people are down on him about a 200 AB stretch last year, all the better for me. Abreu will match or beat him in HR's, beat him in RBI, beat him in SB, come very close to matching him in R's. Young wins with his position and average which aren't factors I care about as much. No way I draft Young over Abreu.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:42 am

jskidder wrote:not only has he been mr consistent over the last 3 years, he is also the best player at the weakest position. i would take him over tejada at this point. and his home/road lefty/righty splits are nearly identical, so you can basically plug him in and never worry about the matchup. in a daily lineup change league that is huge.

Last year they were, but in career, they have been far from it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/661 ... pe=Batting

Young to me isn't much above Jeter or Peralta, who can be had in rounds 3 or 4. i would rather get one of those 2 later, then use a 1st on Young.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:45 am

DGroundhog wrote:I would probably look elsewhere. 330/25HR/90 RBI and a handfull of SB's even at SS doesn't make him a top 15 pick for me. If there's guys lie Abreau, Crawford,
I tend to agree. Plus I'm not convinced he can repeat that .330 BA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Thursday » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:46 am

HOOTIE wrote:
jskidder wrote:not only has he been mr consistent over the last 3 years, he is also the best player at the weakest position. i would take him over tejada at this point. and his home/road lefty/righty splits are nearly identical, so you can basically plug him in and never worry about the matchup. in a daily lineup change league that is huge.

Last year they were, but in career, they have been far from it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/661 ... pe=Batting

Young to me isn't much above Jeter or Peralta, who can be had in rounds 3 or 4. i would rather get one of those 2 later, then use a 1st on Young.

Hate to be a grammar nazi, but you mean than, not then. One letter changes the entire meaning of your sentence! Also, no comma needed.

Michael Young is the new top SS this year, and should be going at the end of the first, even. Early second would be more likely. I agree with some others who posted here, better value can be had later. Let someone else take him. SS is deeper than some people think.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:27 pm

Plus at SS, you've got Young, Tejada, Rollins, Reyes and Jeter and then a lot of diminishing returns. It's not a position that's as deep as it was the last few years.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KOSTAS » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:34 pm

Coppermine wrote:Plus at SS, you've got Young, Tejada, Rollins, Reyes and Jeter and then a lot of diminishing returns. It's not a position that's as deep as it was the last few years.

this year, you can start adding JJ Hardy to that list. Kid is going to be special.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:Plus at SS, you've got Young, Tejada, Rollins, Reyes and Jeter and then a lot of diminishing returns. It's not a position that's as deep as it was the last few years.

Its deeper than it has been the last few years. There used to be like 3 guys that would have been on the list and then the next 6 would have been the next tier which includes peralta, Furcal, Lopez and maybe a couple others and then after that you have a lot of promising guys a little bit further down like Crosby, Renteria(could get some SB's back) etc. SS is not shallow this year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:36 pm

I might be in the minority but I think Young is grossly overrated going into 06. While it is true that he is still in his peak, I just don't think he will keep improving at the current pace.

Good news is he may not have reached his power spike yet. I'll probably pass in the first two rounds which means I won't get him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sLim » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:44 pm

consistency
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football