what makes Michael Young so special? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what makes Michael Young so special?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what makes Michael Young so special?

Postby tuff_gong » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:41 am

I was just wondering what kind of arguments you guys could make for taking Michael Young at the end of the first/begining of the 2nd round in a redraft and/or keeper league. I am in a position to pick him and I really don't know why I should. What do you guys think?

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:05 am

Because:
25 HR
90 RBI
115 Runs
13 SBs
.515 SLG

oh yea, hes a SS too!

;-D
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

pure hitter

Postby Ballwreckers » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 am

He is one of the best pure hitters in the Majors.Think Ichiro without speed .He is a tough out, covers 4 of the 5 batting cats, the 2nd best SS(very close 2nd), and he has a guy like Texeria to drive him in. Here are some 3 years stats for ya: 334 Runs, 641 hits, 60 HR,262 RBI's,.318 average(guessing) Not bad for a guy thats bats 2nd.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: pure hitter

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:07 am

Ballwreckers wrote:He is one of the best pure hitters in the Majors.Think Ichiro without speed .He is a tough out, covers 4 of the 5 batting cats, the 2nd best SS(very close 2nd), and he has a guy like Texeria to drive him in. Here are some 3 years stats for ya: 334 Runs, 641 hits, 60 HR,262 RBI's,.318 average(guessing) Not bad for a guy thats bats 2nd.

if he was ichiro without speed, why wouldnt he just take ichiro then??? the answer is because he is definitely better than ichiro with more power. you could also say he is the best SS because tejada struggled down the stretch.

What other players are left for you?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jskidder » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:49 am

not only has he been mr consistent over the last 3 years, he is also the best player at the weakest position. i would take him over tejada at this point. and his home/road lefty/righty splits are nearly identical, so you can basically plug him in and never worry about the matchup. in a daily lineup change league that is huge.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nikku88 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:06 am

Phatferd wrote:oh yea, hes a SS too!

He's not really a SS, he just happens to play there. :-D
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby silverZ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:12 am

I really wish the bluejays would have hung on to him !+) . To sum up why he's a good late 1st round pick.

Great average, power, rbi/runs
Great ballpark
Great lineup around him that should improve
He plays SS
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:48 am

I would probably look elsewhere. 330/25HR/90 RBI and a handfull of SB's even at SS doesn't make him a top 15 pick for me. If there's guys lie Abreau, Crawford, Cabrera, Santana are around I look elsewhere.

Can't say when I'd pick him unless I had an idea of who else was available, but for a 1st rounder I'd be very hesitant. His avg is nice, but the rest of the numbers aren't exactly difference makers.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:53 am

DGroundhog wrote:I would probably look elsewhere. 330/25HR/90 RBI and a handfull of SB's even at SS doesn't make him a top 15 pick for me. If there's guys lie Abreau, Crawford, Cabrera, Santana are around I look elsewhere.

Can't say when I'd pick him unless I had an idea of who else was available, but for a 1st rounder I'd be very hesitant. His avg is nice, but the rest of the numbers aren't exactly difference makers.

Boring is better. Those stats are awesome because all of them count. Of course you take Crawford, Cabrera and Santana above him, but not Abreu.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rlee » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 am

And ... he plays every day. You plug him into your lineup for the first game and that's it. You never have to worry about whether or not he'll play on a given day. He's a horse.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers