Weekly lineups vs daily lineups - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly lineups vs daily lineups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RyanK » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:30 pm

I did weekly last season, it wasnt bad, i still ended up checking everyday.. we did a weekly submission mid week so if someone got hurt or was playing bad you could sub them out.

For a head to head leauge it wasnt bad but i think if it was a roto league i would be very anoyed with a weekly lineup because say a pitcher has a two start week and has one really great matchup then a poor matchup, youd either have to play him or bench him and would be in a tough bind
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby seancasey21 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:51 pm

Ender wrote:Don't be rediculous. Weekly lineups just keeps player integrity in line. You can't sub in guys for platoon players, you can't start 10 pitchers a week by swapping them in every day. Setting a lineup every day isn't any more intense then deciding on who to play in a weekly setup, if anything its more newbiefied as you simply play the guys who happens to play that day instead of having to decide whether to play your ace with 1 start or your mediocre pitcher with 2. Do I play my coors hitter who has 3 home starts and 3 road starts or my mediocre guy. There is generally more thinking involved in a weekly lineup league than in a daily.

Last year was our first year doing weekly after doing daily the previous years and I had way more tough decisions last year than I ever did in the daily. In daily you just get a utility guy to sub in for whoever sits each day and then load up on bench SP to zerg your pitching... yeah thats hardcore.

Are you serious? Did you have positional and inning limits? You CAN'T just sub in all the time or you will go over the limits and won't get any stats for those postitions towards the end of the year. Why do think Yahoo has standard 162 game limits for position players and 1250 IP for pitchers? If you think setting your lineup once a week promotes activity and strategy then good for you. I happen to disagree completely
seancasey21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tms298 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:37 pm

I think there is a big difference in daily/weekly changes depending on if you are playing roto or h2h. IMO, it would be stupid to have weekly changes in roto. I'm considering switching to weekly for my h2h league.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Wyatt » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:53 pm

DAILY all the way Reality check to all those who vote for weekly. I curently play in both even though I don't care for weekly that much. MLB plays 162 games per year. Do they say every Sunday or Monday lets see I can only play these guys for the week. No matter what happens no body else gets to play. NO WAY Weekly lineups tend to make people less involved. Set your lineup and don't worry about checking in for 4 or 5 days. I say go play football.
If your going to play baseball be involved & do daily lineups. We have a rule to eliminate the pitching problems of dropping players and swapping out all the time. You have to keep a wavier wire player for a minimum of 7 days plus we made losses cost you more points. H2H league

I only do a Roto league that has weekly lineups only because most in that league want it that way. They don't want to dedicate the time to daily lineups.

But hey everybody has thier own opinions.
Wyatt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:58 pm

Yes my comments were for H2H which generally does not have inning limits etc. For Roto I could see daily being better.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ThatDude » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:02 pm

I won't play in a league that has weekly lineups ever again.

It makes it too much like a football league, and in my experience, it takes a lot of the fun out of the league.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:06 pm

Drdobs wrote:Okay,

Here is the deal. I find weekly lineups to be MUCH better and here is why.

First of all the "injury" factor may be a bit frustrating but the reality is that it effects ALL teams in the league exactly the same so that balances out completely. Just as much as it pains you to see a guy go down on Tuesday and you can't replace him till Sunday, it helps you when this also happens to the other 9 or 11 teams in your league. This is a wash.

What I like better about the weekly lineup is that it prevents a true advantage for the guy who happens to not have a job, not go to school and literally sit in front of his computer all day long with no life. You'll find many of these sorts around here which makes perfect sense why they LOVE weekly lineups. They basically can listen to each and every game and the moment they hear some new guy is going to get a spot start on the Devil Ray's they can slide them into their rotation immediately.

So what happens is when you have 2-3 guys in the league who are extremely active and the rest of the guys are active to the point where they check intot he league once or twice a day, it gives those 2-3 guys a distinct advantage. Once the rest of the league finds this out it turns the rest of the teams into people who don't really care that much because they don't feel they can compete with the time the others put in.

I mean heck, what do you do when you take a 2-3 day vacation? It's bad enough in a weekly league where you may miss on a few transactions but even worse in a daily league where you may not start somebody who needs to be started.

I've played in both and I consider myself a pretty active fantasy player and I can tell you, from the health of the league in its entirety, weekly league's are better.

Only if you had a group of guys who were ALL true die-hards would I recomend a daily league.

Jon

I agree in general.

I would note however, that weekly vs daily has NOTHING though to do with controlling activity or trying to control computer junkies. The simple fact of the matter is what type of model do you prefer and what are you trying to achieve?

In weekly transactions, the goal is more to emulate real baseball by controlling transactions and roster changes to some form of reasonable limit. Real teams do not have 200 players turn through their roster a season. They do not sign a starter for a day and then release him. Weekly leagues makes you draft the best team and play for the long term. Remember, you still have daily transactions, it is just that the player picked up will not be able to go active until the next weekly roster change. SOpeople who pound the wires still have the edge.

What it stops is lineup churning and the artifical manipulation of the stat categories. You want that spot starter, sign him for a week not a day. That or go get yourself a player that is worth keeping around for 20+ weeks.

Daily leagues tend to be more for guys that need to make moves each day or they are not happy. The transaction junkies as I call them. Got to make 3 moves or they do not feel satisfied or think they have achieved something today. My opinion is that this is nonsense as most MLB teams do not make more than a few moves a week (if that). You are trying to emulate baseball after all, not the stock market.

That said, there is nothing wrong with daily leagues when run properly. I obviously prefer weekly ones and I run a lot of active weekl money leagues. In fact the expert leagues you often see touted through online are usually weekly or monthly leagues.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:14 pm

Daily leagues with roster move limits don't have 200 different players on a roster a year either. Is it really that hard to figure out?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:18 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
I would note however, that weekly vs daily has NOTHING though to do with controlling activity or trying to control computer junkies. The simple fact of the matter is what type of model do you prefer and what are you trying to achieve?

Remember, you still have daily transactions, it is just that the player picked up will not be able to go active until the next weekly roster change. So people who pound the wires still have the edge.

I think the decision comes down to this quote. There isn't really a magic answer. Ford Chevy Tastes great Less filling.

I had only played weekly leagues until last year when I joined a cafe league. In my first league, lineups were done by fax (LOL) so it had to be weekly. All roto.

The main league I play in now is weekly because not everyone wants to be spending every morning or early afternoon checking lineups. They have lives outside of the league.

I prefer weekly I think it requires tougher decision making and better planning, and if you make a mistake in judgment Monday morning, you pay for it all week. You need a different mindset.

In daily, lineup decisions hold less weight because you can simply fix/change things the next day. The week I benched Pierre for hitting .150, he stole like 6 bases. If it was daily, I could have recognized he was having a better week and switched him back in.

More people seemed to lose interest in my daily league last year than my weekly FWIW, both keepers.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Drdobs » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:48 pm

seancasey21 wrote:Why would you want to commit to a fantasy baseball league that lasts 162 games and only have to check it once a week? I wouldn't want to and have never been in a fantasy baseball league with weekly lineups-promotes inactivity to me. Doesn't make sense and people who do check more frequently SHOULD have an advantage. On Yahoo, if you are going to be gone for a few days you can always set your lineups ahead of time.

This is absurd. Just because you set your lineup going for a week has no bearing on how frequently you have to check the league. In reality, you need to be in the leauge just as much for free agent pickups, trades, scoring, etc.
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers