Weekly lineups vs daily lineups - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weekly lineups vs daily lineups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weekly lineups vs daily lineups

Postby Joe LaCock » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:49 am

Hey Guys,
In my league, my buddies are contemplating making a switch from daily lineups to a weekly lineup. What are some of the pros and cons of this switch? Does anyone prefer the weekly lineups? Thanks in advance. Joe
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:56 am

I personally think that daily lineups are 100x better.

Pros: It makes people who don't check daily have an equal chance of winning. You don't have to check daily.

Cons: Less Competitive. Injuries can screw you one week.

That's really all I can think of right now...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rlee » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:02 am

I played in a weekly league last year for the first time. Didn't enjoy it as much. Injuries really can mess you up. I didn't think it was as "hands on" as a daily league. I'm returning to this league because I finished 7th last year and I know I can do better!
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:50 am

Weekly is a lot better for H2H. You don't HAVE to pay attention every day which is good for some in the league. It stops the stupid pitcher spamming, it lessens the value of platoon hitters and hitter parks hitters which is a good thing. It increases the value of SP's in general.

The only con is that an injury early in the week is extra painful.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Drdobs » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:27 am

Okay,

Here is the deal. I find weekly lineups to be MUCH better and here is why.

First of all the "injury" factor may be a bit frustrating but the reality is that it effects ALL teams in the league exactly the same so that balances out completely. Just as much as it pains you to see a guy go down on Tuesday and you can't replace him till Sunday, it helps you when this also happens to the other 9 or 11 teams in your league. This is a wash.

What I like better about the weekly lineup is that it prevents a true advantage for the guy who happens to not have a job, not go to school and literally sit in front of his computer all day long with no life. You'll find many of these sorts around here which makes perfect sense why they LOVE weekly lineups. They basically can listen to each and every game and the moment they hear some new guy is going to get a spot start on the Devil Ray's they can slide them into their rotation immediately.

So what happens is when you have 2-3 guys in the league who are extremely active and the rest of the guys are active to the point where they check intot he league once or twice a day, it gives those 2-3 guys a distinct advantage. Once the rest of the league finds this out it turns the rest of the teams into people who don't really care that much because they don't feel they can compete with the time the others put in.

I mean heck, what do you do when you take a 2-3 day vacation? It's bad enough in a weekly league where you may miss on a few transactions but even worse in a daily league where you may not start somebody who needs to be started.

I've played in both and I consider myself a pretty active fantasy player and I can tell you, from the health of the league in its entirety, weekly league's are better.

Only if you had a group of guys who were ALL true die-hards would I recomend a daily league.

Jon
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:29 am

Well most already put the reasons why you would want to switch to Weekly instead of Daily line up changes. I personally like Daily changes better, to me it's just more hands on and it takes more things into account. IMO weekly changes seems more suited for people who aren't as into fantasy baseball or have busy lives, that way they don't have to pay as much attention.

The whole pitcher spamming can be corrected by limiting add/drops in general. Instead of limiting managers to a certain line up for a whole week. So basically my advice is if you don't want to bother every day, do the weekly ... otherwise daily allows you to manage more.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kentx12 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:58 am

I have only tried 1 league with weekly changes and it was awful. I hope to never do that again.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby seancasey21 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:07 pm

Why would you want to commit to a fantasy baseball league that lasts 162 games and only have to check it once a week? I wouldn't want to and have never been in a fantasy baseball league with weekly lineups-promotes inactivity to me. Doesn't make sense and people who do check more frequently SHOULD have an advantage. On Yahoo, if you are going to be gone for a few days you can always set your lineups ahead of time.
seancasey21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hbj79 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:24 pm

"Weekly lineup" is the mating call of the loser :*)
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:29 pm

Don't be rediculous. Weekly lineups just keeps player integrity in line. You can't sub in guys for platoon players, you can't start 10 pitchers a week by swapping them in every day. Setting a lineup every day isn't any more intense then deciding on who to play in a weekly setup, if anything its more newbiefied as you simply play the guys who happens to play that day instead of having to decide whether to play your ace with 1 start or your mediocre pitcher with 2. Do I play my coors hitter who has 3 home starts and 3 road starts or my mediocre guy. There is generally more thinking involved in a weekly lineup league than in a daily.

Last year was our first year doing weekly after doing daily the previous years and I had way more tough decisions last year than I ever did in the daily. In daily you just get a utility guy to sub in for whoever sits each day and then load up on bench SP to zerg your pitching... yeah thats hardcore.
Last edited by Ender on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers